Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Motto's or nicknames on your states license plates

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jul 22, 2019.

1. I am not aware of any South Carolina license plate with the state motto like the tag topper below.

amazing-vintage-south-carolina_1_ee717b598f8ecaedf3d0ef3d3126a7df.jpg

However, from 1930 to 1934, South Carolina had another state nickname. Back in the early 30s, South Carolina was known as “The Iodine State”. Catchy, isn’t it?

upload_2019-7-22_15-30-43.jpeg

We have the Chamber of Commerce to thank for this. Well, maybe not. I don’t know if the Chamber of Commerce even existed in the early 30s, but I’m sure their precursors and affiliates did. You know the type. Chamber of Commerce guys exist in every community.

Please be sure to know that I support every effort by all Chamber of Commerce guys. They are responsible for all types of good things (like the weather), and are particularly adept at promoting all things positive.

This is what happened in 1930. The South Carolina Natural Resources Commission — which I’m sure was in cahoots with the Chamber of Commerce — began to promote South Carolina products such as vegetables and milk as being high in the 53rd element, which is iodine.

[​IMG]

After an extensive amount of research (Wikipedia), I have not been able to find any explanation of why our grand state would have more iodine in our vegetables than New Jersey or Oklahoma, but the state latched on to this idea, and began a national campaign to promote healthy South Carolina products.

First of all, you have to know about iodine. Iodine wasn’t even a thing until 1811. That’s when a French scientist, in order to make a more perfect gunpowder (what else?) began experimenting with French seaweed.

The recipe for making iodine from seaweed is as follows: dry out your seaweed, then burn it. Wash the ashes with water. Add sulfuric acid. A purple vapor will arise. As this vapor collects on cold surfaces, purple-black crystals of pure iodine will form. Makes your mouth water, doesn’t it?

Doctors and scientists later realized that the human body — and in particular the thyroid gland, which is located in the throat – is dependent upon iodine. When humans are iodine deficient, we develop goiter. Sooo….in order to keep our bodies healthy and fit, humans need iodine in our diets.

The wheels of 1930s South Carolina state government began churning out a national campaign. Even the South Carolina Department of Corrections (SCDC) got involved. Among other responsibilities, the Department of Corrections makes our license plates. In 1930, embossed on our steel plates was the single word “iodine”. Feeling that that term wasn’t quite catchy enough, in 1932 the SCDC updated South Carolina license plates with the phrase “The Iodine State.”

[​IMG]

Match book cover from the 1930's

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This phrase still didn’t produce quite the results the Chamber of Commerce guys desired, so in 1933 the term was upgraded to “The Iodine Products State.” You really can’t blame the Chamber of Commerce guys for trying.

[​IMG]

Billboards were erected, posters were made and flyers were mailed to promote South Carolina as “The Iodine State.” Why, even the new-fangled radio station got in on the act. At the time, the fledgling station was deciding upon call letters, and decided that “Wonderful Iodine State” was a perfect motto. Thus, WIS radio, which later became WIS TV, was able to adopt a call sign unique to the country. The Iodine State motto lives on.

Alas, South Carolina’s domination of the iodine trade came crashing to a halt when a group of nefarious Yankee businessmen pulled the rug out from under South Carolina farmers and added iodine to their product. Suddenly, iodine was readily available throughout the country and South Carolina could no longer claim a monopoly on healthy vegetables.

The Yankees responsible for the demise of “The Iodine State” motto were the owners of the Morton Salt Company, based in Chicago. They decided to iodize salt, and the world has been a healthier place ever since.

[​IMG]

Not to worry, however. South Carolina Chamber of Commerce guys have since moved on to bigger and better things. They create jobs, smiling faces and suntans. What more could you ask for?

The license plates however are not as cool as they once were. HRP

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  2. The37Kid

The37Kid

Just Google The Nutmeg State, and save me the cutting & pasting, Connecticut is also the Constitution State, since we once hid out State Constitution in an old Oak Tree. Charter Oak, a biker club took their name from that event. Bob

3W JOHN likes this.
  3. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Alabama is known as "The Heart of Dixie" The heart with the logo was a big part of the tags for a long time until some NAACP types sued over it. It's still on the tags, just much smaller than it was.

4. A Boner

A Boner

Always have to laugh at North Carolina and their, "First in Flight"......by 2 guys from Ohio, using an offshore breeze!

Boneyard51, rockable and 3W JOHN like this.

5. topher5150

topher5150

Water Winter Wonderland
    Great Lakes State
    Water Wonderland

3W JOHN, chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  6. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Ohio, the" Buckeye State", also had some with "First in Flight" for the Wright Bros. fans

Boneyard51, 3W JOHN and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. The37Kid

The37Kid

Plane_rear_w_crew.jpg
    Google Gustave Whitehead, he flew before the Wright Brothers here in Connecticut. Bob

3W JOHN likes this.
  8. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Washington is the Evergreen State...a nod to the fact that due to our annual rain fall, moss grows everywhere including your car, driveway, roof, siding, fence, slow moving dogs and old people. It is very green here indeed.
    These cars were stopped on 1-5 for a bridge lift for half an hour.
    upload_2019-7-22_14-23-52.png

9. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

35183322_1_l.jpg In The Shape Of One Of Our Products...

3W JOHN, TFoch, 37hotrod and 3 others like this.
  10. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

11. I remember seeing a Pelican License plate on a vintage camper several years ago. HRP

3W JOHN and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. I thought a Palmetto was a bug!:confused: I guess that is what the Iodine is for, In case you get a bite.:p

Last edited: Feb 26, 2022
  13. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

14. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

South Dakota used to be the sunshine state but now it's the Mt.Rushmore state.

Boneyard51 and 3W JOHN like this.
  15. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I won't comment on the state of California. (it has to do with 'fruits' & 'nuts'...)

Desoto291Hemi, 56don, 3W JOHN and 5 others like this.
  16. How about the South Carolina state tree?

[​IMG]

The tree is also on the state flag.

upload_2019-7-22_18-26-24.png

3W JOHN likes this.
  17. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

KY the , the Bluegrass State for me . Must have been the nickname for pot many many years ago I guess . I have never seen Bluegrass

3W JOHN likes this.
  18. mkebaird

mkebaird

This is my favorite, mounted on a '40 pickup.
    P1020748.JPG

3W JOHN, LOU WELLS and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  19. [​IMG]
    PA is located centrally in the 13 original colonies, like a keystone, and was thought to be a centered politically and economically state.
    Too bad whenever some freaky weird shit happens in the news, it's often a ''Pennsylvanian'', as we're called!

20. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

New Hampshire is best in my opinion. Live Free or Die.

21. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

Minnesota land of 10,000 lakes we are modest it’s more like 11,000 lakes

22. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Florida.The Sunshine State.Does anyone know why the abbreviation for California was changed from Calif to Ca?Well,I`ll tell ya.It seems like too many people said that Calif stood for"Come And Live In Florida":rolleyes::p.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

23. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I think Connecticut plates had Constitution State on them...

3W JOHN and chryslerfan55 like this.
  24. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I grew up in Oklahoma. When I was young, the plates read, "Visit Oklahoma" ('55-'62).
    They just had "Oklahoma" from '63-'66 then in '67 they went with "Oklahoma is Ok" which lasted through 1988.
    Then "Oklahoma Ok!" from '89-'94, followed by my personal favorite "Native America" which was in use from '95-'16.

25. Deuces

Deuces

Mmmmm....... French Fries! :)

26. Terrible80

Terrible80

New Mexico - Land of Enchantment. I think it was the Sunshine State at one time , but Florida won out.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3W JOHN, chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  27. Virginia state motto/slogan for 50 years, but only printed on license plates recently. I have often been to festivals where the moniker has been modified, as in Virginia is for Bluegrass Lovers. There is a local tri 5 Chevy club known as The Virginia Chevy Lovers.

Attached Files:

28. Always liked the old Tennessee plates shaped like the state. Looked cool ,but didn't fit in any bracket! Tennessee_1941_License_Plate_License_Plates_8d5ea2cc-f74c-4d94-865f-555d89882ca0.jpg

29. Now they have The Volunteer State motto......... 55ce154f599b0_318531b.jpg