Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Old cars Not for sale

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rs57, Jul 21, 2019.

1. rs57

rs57
    from oklahoma

Now that’s very true happens every time

2. rs57

rs57
    from oklahoma

Had a guy a while back called on one i had for sale wanted to look
    But didn’t have enough gas to make the
    30 minute trip to look at it

3. Yes Im kinda that way. I keep the gate closed. And If I don't like your looks or manners you probably will not get thru the gate. You need to leave your children , wife , dog and friends at home. Leave your cell phone in your vehicle. And don't get out and light up a cigarette. If your driving a OT junker with a donut spare on the ground I aint got nothing fer ya. If you aint ready willing and able to buy today Don't even stop and ask. One time I got a call from a friend. He asked would you buy a 72 cheynne super big block truck with a bad engine for $200. I stated yes in interested. So I met him and he took me to where it was setting. The old guy told me that other guy offered $200 and I said yes and He didn't pay me. So I gave him two $100 bills. and gave my friend a $20 finders fee. Turned out his cousin was the other guy who had jewed down the owner and did not have the money. and that made my friend angry. We came the next day with our wrecker to get the truck. and as we where driving away we met the cousin. Boy was he mad!

4. rs57

rs57
    from oklahoma

Don’t worry sooner or later
    Someone will
    When I’m trying to sell something
    And can’t I always think
    Well I bought it
    Surely there’s someone in the world
    As dumb as I am

31hotrodguy and VANDENPLAS like this.
  5. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Based on the prices I see some guy's asking for cars here on the HAMB for sale site I believe they are really not interested in selling their cars either.
    There have been some cars listed for years and that is what makes me think they really do not want to sell their cars.
    Jimbo

6. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I had a yard sale this past wkend....No the Shoebox isn't for sale. No the Model T isn't for sale. No the '58 Camper isn't for sale. Yes the tacky ceramic unicorn collection is for sale (I'm gonna miss it).

7. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

A lot of those are the guys who's wife tells them they gotta sell something before they buy anything else! "See Honey, I ran an ad for it, price and all, but nobody wants to buy it!"

31hotrodguy and Old wolf like this.
  8. When I was 11 or 12 years old my dad and one of his buds took me out car hunting. We had gone to look at a stash of stuff outside of town and on our way back we stopped at another location where a guy had 20-30 old cars parked in his pasture. When my dad and his buddy got out they were greeted by this guy that told them if they were wanting to look at the cars to "come back in 50 years." Fast forward 20 years, I was in my early 30s and a buddy of mine was telling me he knew where a stash of cars was but the old man that lived there had run him off when he asked about them. No surprise to me that it was the same place. I decided to take a chance, and somewhat of a bet/dare from my buddy, and go visit this guy just to see if I could talk him into letting us look at his stuff. It worked....but only because I knew one of his brothers from where I worked at the time. Myself and a couple of my friends were actually able to buy a few cars from him cheap. About 2 years later the old guy died. The family had an auction and most all of it when to the scrap man. I got to the auction late and the cars had been sold. I was told that they were all sold as one lot together so no one bid except the guy that owns all of the local scrap yards.

9. I've bought several cars lately that weren't for sale 10-15 yrs ago. Some of the guys are getting older and are realizing they don't have the time or health to do anything with them. Others have passed on and the family wants it all gone. The moral of my story is if you want it bad enough just hang in there and don't hesitate to let the owner or family know that you're interested in it because sooner or later it all ends up being for sale.

31hotrodguy, chopped and Old wolf like this.
  10. A good auctioneer would have sold choice and high bidder takes as many as he wants. Then I runner up gets to pick at the high bidders price. I was at a auction and there where three 57 chevy sport coups. I had the high bid choice and take as many as I wanted. So I picked the best one. thinking I could buy the other two for less. They then started again and those two sold for more than the one I got!

11. Yes Im getting old and actually am selling some of my hoard that wasn't for sale a few years ago.

31hotrodguy, Hubnut and VANDENPLAS like this.
  12. Country Joe

Country Joe

I have a car listed here. I'm not sure if the price is too high or not. But I do think I could list it for $50.00 and guys will still pick it apart. It seems they want everything to be perfect...I tell them everything about the car and I don't hear back from them. I tell them they need to start looking at the $2oK and up cars if all you want to do is put gas in it and drive away........uh,....it doesn't come with gas?

13. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

There was a nearly new 1941 Buick with the dual carb straight eight that sat next to Highway 5 as you came into LeMars, Iowa from the east. Was there when I first saw it at four years old and still there when I graduated from college. All the locals knew it wasn't for sale because the man's son was a MIA in WW2 and he wanted to make sure his new car was there for him when he was found. Sometimes there is a good reason.

kmrumedy and wraymen like this.
  14. tempestan55

tempestan55
    from Tempe, AZ

I had a like experience as a previous poster. Approx. 20 yrs. ago, found a '62 Chev bubble top. Completely stock, white with red interior, 283, power glide. This was on the White Mountain Apache reservation, in AZ. Stopped the next time I saw someone at the house. They let me look at the car, it was in very good shape, didn't run. Tried a number of times to buy it....wouldn't sell. A few years later I went by the house to check on the car. Kids jumping on the car, roof caved it, etc. Made me sick.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  15. A friend comes over and says he has spotted several cars in and around a nearby house, and goes on to describe a few he could see. "Oh, that's Mr. Fuckoff," I replied. My friend said he was going to ask if they were for sale, and I said "good luck, I tried 20 years ago". It goes like this- Knock Knock. - Door opens 1/2", and eye peers through. - "Oh Hello, I was just driving past and was wondering if -" "No!! Fuck off!" -Door slams shut.
    All the stuff was in good shape when it was left out in the rain, with windows down. The council told him to clean the place up, so he bought a bunch of $2 blue plastic tarps, which all disintegrated within 3 months, so the weather can finish it's job.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  16. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

I knocked on a door when living in Miami in the 80's. Guy had a 40 Ford Coupe under a disintegrated tarp but wouldn't sell. Went back for years...he was pleasant but wouldn't sell. Last time I looked at it, it was a total rust bucket so I stopped going by. About the same time I was dealing first gen Camaros and knocked on a lot of doors. Some times you'd just have to go back every other month, but it paid off. Got a 69 SS for free, a 69 pace car with a dented front fender for $500 and countless others. I still knock on doors....

17. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

I find a lot of the time guys who show up to inquire if something is for sale either don't have the cash or think that you don't know anything about cars or their worth. More and more I see guys in the last few years showing up to cars shows and swap meets thinking they know the value of everything cause they watch too many TV shows on the subject.

Old wolf likes this.
  18. It would be funny to watch some idiot try to get this one on a roll back, there is no frame and the body panels are just wired together, Yard art. HRP

19. My eldest son collects WWII stuff . has a restored 1944 WC Dodge. Any way was I was at a farm sale and this heavy duty army trailer was there. I thought it was WWII. So I bought it. and My son came and looked ran the numbers and exclaimed Its third Army this is a bomb trailer that was with Pattons third Army in Europe. So I gave it to him. I had it around front and had Two guys stop and try to buy it. I told them it was my sons & stated That it was heavy and would bring a lot for scrap. But make a offer. However you only get to make one offer so make it for the most you can pay today. and I got a $100 offer (I paid more and drug it a 100 miles home.) Then I tell them I know what it is and it was with Patton. Something they knew all along because they took pictures and where on the cell phone. And I laughed at them told them you guys think you can beat some old fucker like me at his own game? I get on the Puter every day. They where crestfallen and I had some fun.