Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 46 Ford Coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by ZD46Ford coupe, Jul 11, 2019.

1. ZD46Ford coupe

ZD46Ford coupe

Looks like the previous owner was trying to move the crank with the belts on. And of course the water pumps are rusted in place. I'm hoping she will turn fairly easy. Was gonna take the radiator out and try today but it is 102 degrees today here in NJ!

2. ZD46Ford coupe

ZD46Ford coupe

Hey Coilover. If you deliver that car with everything that goes with it, I'll take it! Lol

3. ZD46Ford coupe

ZD46Ford coupe

Interested in selling some of those parts?

4. ZD46Ford coupe

ZD46Ford coupe

So far I know for sure is that I meed glass for thhe doors and windshield?

5. ZD46Ford coupe

ZD46Ford coupe

Where in Texas are you?

6. ZD46Ford coupe

ZD46Ford coupe

Any interior parts?

7. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Cut the belts off the engine. Make sure the starter Bendix does not have it locked, so remove the starter. Put the proper sized 1/2 drive socket on the crank nut. With a pull bar try to turn the engine.
    If she does not turn.
    Scratch one flathead....
    Pull it and store it. Maybe the block is good....maybe, if you are lucky.

If you want an adventure...You can try rebuilding the flathead but if she's locked up tight it's going to require a total rebuild.....if your block is good.

Find a 283-327 SBC. The front mounts are available so are the "Cragar style" transmission adapters.

sdroadster likes this.
  8. HotrodHR

HotrodHR

How old is your son? I have 3 daughters and no sons... they used to like going to car shows and races, but then they met boys. Anyway, the teenage boys and twenty somethings all said they wanted to learn about car restoration, paint and body, but as soon as I put them to work they quickly lost interest...

Woogeroo likes this.
  9. ZD46Ford coupe

ZD46Ford coupe

He is 14

10. sdroadster

sdroadster

They come apart really easy. I call it Pandoras Box.

Thor1 likes this.
  11. gearhead695456

gearhead695456

Get it running and driving, dont worry to much about cosmetics for now. I would not advise taking the body off or blow it into million pieces, too many projects blow up too big and get sold in pieces because someone got over their heads. Focus on the small wins , like getting it running, join some local antique car clubs, go to meets to get help, advise and moral support. That's my 2 cents.

48fordnut likes this.
  12. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

dont take it apart! YET. as others have said, get it running driving and stopping first. thats how you buikd some memories and create a real place for the car in yours and your kids hearts then start on projects on it. if you take it all apart unless youre extremely unique it will end up likely half done and sold in boxes. we get into these cars because theyre cool TO DRIVE. a pile of parts in the garage is super easy to get too busy for! im building a 47 ford, love the project! ill be following along

Thor1 and 48fordnut like this.
  13. ZD46Ford coupe

ZD46Ford coupe

My running boards are rusted through. These are actually the rocker panels? Correct? Is it a tough patch and repair?

14. ZD46Ford coupe

ZD46Ford coupe

Also need some small pieces of body metal around the rear passenger tail light and driver front fender where it turns under. Both are small pieces. Anyone have a parts car with this metal they could cut sell and send?

15. ZD46Ford coupe

ZD46Ford coupe

I can send pictures of exactly what I need

16. hotrod1948

hotrod1948
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milton, WI

Get a manual. The rocker boxes run the distance from wheel to wheel, The running boards bolt to the bottom of the rocker boxes. The rocker boxes almost always need work. You can patch them or replace. I used ones from Bitchen, but I also replaced the entire floor and firewall. If the floor is patchable, then I would patch the boxes and keep it on the frame. It will turn into a driveable hot rod quicker if you don't remove the body from the frame. Just my two cents. PM with your needs, I may have stuff you need left over from my build.

17. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

unless its an essential id focus everything on getting her running, do rust repair after, anything can be fixed!

18. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

You are exactly correct!!!!

48fordnut and oliver westlund like this.
  19. A bunch of 1/2 and 1/2 Acitone and ATF in each spark plug hole, fill them up, let it sit a few days turn the engine slowly with a breaker bar, Acitone and ATF again let it sit again, turn it again, then try the starter on a 12 volt bat to the starter and 6 volt bat to the ign, pour gas down the carb and it should run. then put a new fuel pump , points and condencer in the dist, new plugs and plug wires. or put an Olds , Cad, or Nailhead Buick in it, wire for 12 volts and Go.

20. As many have already said, see if you can get it running first! Next move to the brakes, do what's necessary to get it to stop! Search for pictures of other 46's, 47's and 48's, search here on the h.am.b. and on Ford barn for pictures and parts. I agree that Drake, Macs and the others mostly sell import junk, use Van Pelt's, it's quality stuff. My old '46 short door with '47/'48 front end...
    1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.png

21. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

sorry, its your build, not trying to be bossy! hope you realize everyones only repeating that because we have all learned the hard way, some of us still havnt quite learned the lesson. we just want to see it work out perfectly for you and your son!

Thor1 likes this.
  22. You need a friend who knows how to work on hot rods or classic cars. Don't ask him to do it for you, but ask him to talk you through it while you do the dirty work and grunt work! Great way for you and your son to learn from someone who knows what they are doing...

Thor1 and oliver westlund like this.
  23. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

yeah or just ask us

24. Chopped and dropped like Sam Foose car is the ticket.

25. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

This is very hard for me. Not the apology but the shame. Recently there has been a positive change in my life. One thing that kept coming to my mind was my post above.
    Coilover I want to sincerely apologize to you. I did something here that is totally untypical for me and that was to disrespect an elder. An elder that face to face I would call Sir. Since I did this publicly, I must apologize publicly. I thought I had good motives at the time, on reflection I see that I was out of line.
    You Sir deserve respect and although I'm a little late in showing that respect I hope you can accept it.

48fordnut and oliver westlund like this.
  26. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

well done, i felt that needed said as well. hard thing to swallow your pride and do it. well done

48fordnut likes this.
  27. 6 in shackles in the back, 4 in shackles in the front, nosed and decked, remove and fill the top grill piece, primer or flat paint and 2 carbs, dual pipes with glass packs

28. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

My 2 cents. Your son is 14, so I'm guessing he has 2 years before he gets his driver's license. Is he into old cars now? Does he go to rod runs & car shows and drool over the pre-48 or does he gravitate toward the 60's cars? If he digs the pre-48's then you are headed in the right direction. Next, I see the car is painted flat black. Some guys paint these old cars in flat black to hide all the flaws. That being said, patina is one of the big things right now. It has been that way for the last 3-4 years. So, your body could be left as is, and not even worry about a little rust. I see the front floor pans are off. Were they all rusty, or did you remove them, or did the previous owner remove them? Fix that 1st, along with removing the dash and sanding the rust off of it. Take all the gauges out, after you take pictures for reference, sand down the dash, prime & paint in the color you want the finished product to be. You can get wiring kits form several places for just your dash gauges. Rewire your gauges & install voltage reducers(if you plan on running the original gauges) or replace them. Put a new ignition switch in. Reinstall dash. Now that is out of the way. Pull the radiator and have a local radiator shop clean & check it out. If you plan on using the original engine, this radiator should fit the bill, if it is salvageable. Several guys on here have told you how to work on your engine so I'll pass on rehashing that stuff. Just make sure you have new oil and a filter installed if you have run any type of cylinder breaker agents through the engine. Disconnect your brake and fuel lines and blow them out into a jar. You don't want 73 year old lines with old fuel & brake fluid. Check these lines and think about replacing them with new stainless steel ones, or at least new metal ones. Drop your gas tank & check inside of it if possible. Does it need to be boiled out, or replaced. Tanks probably has a replacement one for your car. How is your master cylinder. Consider replacing the old one. If you think you might upgrade your engine, think about upgrading your master cylinder to dual lines for your son's safety. Are the emergency brake cables in good shape? Pull all the brakes and check them for replacement. Your side window glass is not as important now as the front and rear. If you only replace one piece of glass now, make it your front windshield. Keep any unbroken glass and take it to a local glass shop for estimate and replacement. See if you buying new rubber and taking to glass man is going to be cheaper than him providing rubber. He may use universal, verses made to fit rubber. Buy new rubber hoses for engine, add water, and if you are at the stage to try to start current engine, just use one of those hand held jumper ignition buttons so you are not taking any chance on burning out any 6 volt items going through the ignition switch. All you would need is new battery cables, and a 12 volt battery, and make sure any 6 volt supplied wires are disconnected from engine. Once all these things are addressed you can make sure all moving parts like wheel bearings have been replaced and greased, and tires are aired up or replaced. Rear end fluid replaced and rear gears checked. I could go one, but feel I've probably gone on too long now, and you may have stopped ready. You get the idea. Don't work on it every night, let him be a teenager and enjoy his friends as well. Just make sure you have wheel chocks, and jack stands under the car if it's in the air. Safety 1st. Good Luck

AmishMike and 48fordnut like this.
  29. Don't pull the body off. You'll be surprised how much of the frame you can access and how good you can make it look just by getting under the car with a wire cup brush and some POR15. Get dirty.

Running boards are bolt-on. I think Bob Drake sells repops that are decent. Original are hard to find and expensive.

EMS Sheetmetal sells patch panels, don't know if they have the ones you're looking for but their quality is good. I think they might nhave running boards come to think of it. Nothing is plug-and-play, assume that everything needs modification to work in your particular application.

Nothing is impossible, and almost nothing is quick. Don't be in a hurry, just go for it, be patient and learn/teach along with your son. A buddy of mine is building a roaster pickup with his grandson of similar age, every Sunday for 2 years now. The kid is doing 90% of the work and he's going to end up with a kick-ass hot rod and a lifetime of knowledge. Way further ahead than most of us were at that age.