Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Is The Rumble Seat Floorpan and Decklid Floor Pan the same on 28/29 Roadster ?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by chev34ute, Jul 22, 2019.

1. chev34ute

chev34ute

289CD85A-DD99-41FD-B6FD-3D0293CB94BE.gif

Hey Guys.
    I have been tasked with building a floor on a mate’s 1929 Model A Roadster. After showing him some images at the Swap Meet on Sunday we agreed on doing the the rear pans first. He asked if the floorpan that sits above the rear crossmember was the same between the rumble seat and regular trunk versions.

He is building it with a trunk, not a rumble seat, so he wants it as flat as possible. I said I thought they were and the reason it’s raised is to clear the crossmember. Is this the case ? I have the original panel I can get patterns from but I just need to know if it’s the same one in both types of roadsters. Any help is appreciated.

2. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

The parts that are different are the curved panels just to the rear of the trunk floor pan. I have see people omit the curved inner panel and simply make a flat piece for a little extra trunk space. You can also fabricate a new floor pan with a rectangle piece to clear the crossmember and not use the stock seat cushion riser, it does take up a lot of space.

3. That piece is raised to serve as the angled base for the rumble seat bottom cushion, as well as clear the crossmember.
    There is a stamped repro piece for sedans that can be used to give crossmember clearance with a flat floor.
    Make the flat floor panel, and use the repro piece or make one.
    https://www.brattons.com/catalog.html?cat=474

4. 48stude

48stude

I redesigned the stock piece to lay flat and built a cover for the crossmember. Bill
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

chev34ute likes this.
  5. alchemy

alchemy

I think it originally gives clearance for the bumper arms too. The go over the crossmember and hook into the framerails.

6. chev34ute

chev34ute

Thanks for all the feedback. He would prefer flush floors, but a raised box for the crossmembers and bumper brackets would be the next best thing. I will be looking at the body on Friday, this will give me a chance to try out my existing floor pan and and get measurements for the new one.