Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 54 Ford Customline build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeff Bohmann, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Jeff Bohmann

Jeff Bohmann

Thanks Paul, we will see this weekend how much the front comes down. Hopefully the weather will be good for me as I’m working in my driveway until the motor is in. Just don’t have enough room in the garage to have the car and move the engine hoist around. So it’s outdoors for me until the engine and transmission are in. I don’t mind, just gets a little warm in the sun. If the front end comes down 4 inches, I should still have a rearward squat. Still trying to decide if I want to put the skirts on. I found a decent pair with some other goodies in the truck. My only problem is someone bent up the inner fender lips , I guess to make it easier to get the tires on and off. So I’m not sure if I can save them enough to attach the skirts. It certainly would make the rear end appear to be even lower with skirts.

loudbang likes this.
  2. John Fiske

John Fiske

I'd be interested in the skirts.

Sent from my SM-G960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  3. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

How's it goin' down there Jeff?

loudbang likes this.
  4. Jeff Bohmann

Jeff Bohmann

Been a little tied up with some work issues. Then it turned so dang hot that I can’t even get the motivation to go out and work on it....I’ll get back at it soon.

loudbang likes this.
  5. Jeff Bohmann

Jeff Bohmann

I’m open to trades for the skirts....I’m looking for vent windows, or vent window rubber. I need a rear view mirror, front grill parts....otherwise, if you don’t have anything to swap, cover shipping and they are yours.... email me. [email protected]

loudbang likes this.
  6. Jeff Bohmann

Jeff Bohmann

What do you do when it’s 98 degrees outside and too hot to work on your project? Enjoy some ice cold watermelon with your best friend...lol

Attached Files:

loudbang, s55mercury66 and DIYGUY like this.
  7. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

With our highs only expected to reach the mid 50's all weekend, I would like some of that 98 degrees up here.

8. Jeff Bohmann

Jeff Bohmann

I would take 50’s about now. Can’t do diddly squat outside in these temps. You go out there for 15 minutes and you want to come back in, shower and sit in the air conditioning.

loudbang likes this.
  9. Cool thread. I'm being tempted by a 54 4 door a couple of hours away with the 239 Y block and the 3 speed manual. It has a red siren on the top but the interior is Blue and the speedo only goes to 110 so I do not think it is the Police version. Who knows, will find out if I go look at it. My so is kind of interested in it for his first car and the guy only wants $1200 for supposedly been in a barn since 1972. My son is 14-1/2 so has a year and a half to get it good and road worthy. Am I correct in thinking the 54 has the narrow trans bolt pattern? I have a falcon T-10 that I suspect would also fit it or maybe a swap to a T5 would be ok as well.

loudbang likes this.
  10. Jeff Bohmann

Jeff Bohmann

I’m not sure about the transmission bolt pattern. I yanked my drivetrain for a GM swap. It would be a cool first car for your boy. Good project for y’all to work on together.

loudbang likes this.
  11. sephgato

sephgato
    from fenton

Very cool build. I am starting a 54 ford myself that was an old hot rod. One of the items I want to change is the front brakes by converting to disc. I could buy a kit from speedway but would like to know how you did yours and what part numbers were needed as many of the components I am sure are from other cars. I have been away from the scene for about 10 years and happy to be back. Any help is appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  12. Jeff Bohmann

Jeff Bohmann

I bought the front end rebuild kit on EBay, the idler arm is not included so get that from carpenter. I believe that is where I got mine. I bought the drop spindles with the disc brakes set up for GM calipers from Dave Gulley at Drop and Stop. 818-572-5302, he is a really great guy and very helpful with everything on the car. Very knowledgeable in this year ford. He’s always a phone call away if you have any issues. Look at all my posts from the start. Also my album. It has pretty detailed pics and text. If you go with the GM calipers like I did, you will need to run 70 mustang rotors, got on amazon best price, and GM metric calipers from a Chevy celebrity. Dave will provide all the needed part numbers. I just bought the 2” drop Granada spindles and the GM brackets installed. Everything else I got on amazon or rock auto. But Dave will tell you everything to buy. If you like my setup and want to go that way, tell him you talked to me and you want the same setup. I wouldn’t go with Granada brakes. They are smaller and really flaky to set up. Unless you know and have done brakes on a Granada, I wouldn’t mess with them.

loudbang likes this.
  13. Jeff Bohmann

Jeff Bohmann

Give Dave a call. He has several options. Keep an eye on my thread as I’m sure others will have some advice.

loudbang likes this.
  14. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Dave's website is no longer his health has taken a turn for the worse and he is closing up things, he is a great guy and always gave great advice here and on other forums so I hope all of you will keep him in your thoughts and wish him a speedy recovery. This is one of the easier kits to install as it does not require a spindle change. https://www.performanceonline.com/1...ISC-BRAKE-CONVERSION-KIT-WBKS5456F-WBKS5456F/

loudbang likes this.
  15. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

Too bad about Dave, I’ve heard nothing but good about him and his products.

I used the scarebird kit and am very happy.
    Unused a ‘93 Cobra Booster and an ‘80s F250 master.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JeffB2 and loudbang like this.
  16. RAMOS17

RAMOS17
    from COLORADO

Are the skirts still available

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app