Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Replacing '64 Ford Fairlane Floorpans

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tnrotter, Jul 21, 2019.

1. tnrotter

tnrotter
    from Tennessee

Picked up some replacement floor pans for my '64 Fairlane. They are similar to original but need some massaging to get fit in place. A little more trimming of old and new and I'll be ready to weld.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. David Chandler

David Chandler

Gotta love those 64 Fairlanes. I had one years ago. It handled like a Mack Truck, but I loved it. Keep at it, and good luck!

loudbang likes this.
  3. 63Compact

63Compact

Nice looking replacement pans remember to take your time stitching them in.

loudbang and tnrotter like this.
  4. tnrotter

tnrotter
    from Tennessee

Thanks! It's manual steering and you'll get a work out parking it, but I don't care for the leaky original style p/s.

Muttley and loudbang like this.

5. Hey one thing to check for while you are at it is to see if you have a leaking vent tray that leaked water into the floor. It usually comes from the area right above the heater box and the vent box on the very corners of the cowl.

tnrotter and loudbang like this.
  6. David Chandler

David Chandler

Yeah, mine was manual steering with a 3 speed on the column. 260 V8, four door. The one problem I had was rear springs. I kept breaking them for some reason. My floor rusted out, right under the gas pedal. Winter salt I suspect had a role in that. The car was only 6 years old by then too.

loudbang likes this.
  7. tnrotter

tnrotter
    from Tennessee

Checked that out when I removed the heater and seems solid, passed the screwdriver poking test. My biggest enemy was a cracked windshield weatherstrip, and rotted away door weatherstripping with carpet still in the car. Thanks for the heads up!

loudbang likes this.
  8. earlymopar

earlymopar

Are you going to over-lap the new panel to the cutout in the floor or are you going with a line to line fit and then butt-weld?

- EM

9. pour water down the vent on both corners, then take a look under with a flash light. This was my biggest issue on my old Fairlane, I could not see where the water was coming from. I hope your's doesn't have that issue.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  10. tnrotter

tnrotter
    from Tennessee

Still up in the air on that. I've done a bunch with a flanged overlap over the years. Plug welding along the seam and on the flange at the rocker. Have some butt weld clamps to help position if I go that route. Am picking up a new Lincoln 110 welder for my home shop, so I'll need to practice on some scraps before I dive in. Havn't made the final cuts yet.

loudbang likes this.
  11. gene-koning

gene-koning

Do yourself a favor and save the butt welding for the outer body panels. Butt welding floor pans is a major pain with little or no gain, usually the fit on floor pans is not that good. If you do the overlap, just don't let the overlapped flange grow too wide. 3/8" to a 1/2" is a good overlap width to adjust for the poor fit. Gene

tnrotter and abe lugo like this.
  12. tnrotter

tnrotter
    from Tennessee

Hope not either, but will fix whatever it needs.
    I have some of the Eastwood flange pliers that make about the size overlap. The seam will be strong and I'll be seam sealing the joints, and undercoating the bottom.

shivasdad and loudbang like this.