Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods How do You support your (hot rod) addiction?!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by catdad49, Jul 20, 2019.

1. 48stude

48stude

I worked in a steel mill as a millwright and I intended to retire at 35 yrs. That didn't happen , I worked 11 more years (46 total ) The last 10 years I decided to purchase all the parts I thought I would need and to save as much as I could so when I retired I could just roll along uninterrupted building my roadster.Which for the most part has panned out . What I didn't count on was all the arthritis I accumulated from being a millwright plus a buttload of other stupid things I did during my lifetime. Bill

j-jock, scotty t, seb fontana and 4 others like this.
  2. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Worked 44 years in the utility trade and wife was a banker. She manages all money. Early on money for our cars was from flipping trifives and parts. We also drove a 55 for many years-no new car. Built up a good reserve to build cars. No money ever came out of our earnings. Now just build one, sell it, repeat-about 13-14 40's. About one a year and keep my 40 and her 55 she has had for 41 years. At 76 slowing up a bit but on the lookout for another 40 .

3. ...................You are a remarkable individual and a constant inspiration to this young-buck 68 year old....................Don.

charleyw, Thor1, catdad49 and 5 others like this.
  4. lowrd

lowrd

I quit smoking in 1986, considering the prices are among the top ten in the states. Otherwise I build it rather than just buy it and install. Great learning experience.

catdad49, Deuces and chryslerfan55 like this.
  5. Bill Nabors

Bill Nabors

My wife found out early on that working on old cars or Harley’s all night and weekends kept me out of the pool halls and bars. She never once complained about my cars, Harley’s or guns, but she knew that if we needed money, something would be sold.

Thor1, catdad49, scotty t and 5 others like this.
  6. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

I presume I need to be at the auction when they catch you...

catdad49, Tri-power37, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  7. I support my habit, whoops I mean addiction, yikes I mean hobby , just by going to various shows and flea market ( swap meets that is) .

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Thor1, catdad49, j-jock and 4 others like this.
  8. That's the problem, you see. Both of us are retired now, looking at all the cost-cutting moves like dumping Dish and going back to over-the-air and Hulu, watching our pennies and spending nothing on things like a hotrod or other non-necessities. When the A/C went out this week at the beginning of the heatwave, we decided not to spend $4.000 we don't have for 5 weeks of cooling while we wait for fall. Rebuilding the engine and transmission and a radiator for the hotrod just went to the back of the line.

9. grimmfalcon138

grimmfalcon138
    from az

Work as much ot as the boss will give. Plus when I do equipment swap outs or re-pipes the customer usually asks me to haul off the old "junk", copper scrap has gotten me through some pretty rough times.

10. gene-koning

gene-koning

I've always paid for my hobbies with money I earned from working nights and week ends on other peoples stuff. My weekly pay check has never supported my hobbies, but there have been a few times the hobbies have helped support the weekly paycheck.

I quit smoking and quit drinking after I figured out how many hot rod parts I could buy with the money I was spending on smokes and booze.

My wife and I worked really hard, and we both sacrificed a lot of fancy stuff so we could get to the point we were debt free before we retired. We both enjoy the hot rod thing, so we both put a little from our SS checks into the hot rod fund, and I'm still doing a little side work to add to the fund. This last build looks like its going to be a costly one, but after its roadworthy, maintenance will be the only expected expense. We will use the hot rod fund to go to shows and on road trips until we can no longer do it. Gene

catdad49, j-jock, scotty t and 3 others like this.
  11. Deuces

Deuces

Better quit while your ahead.... ;)

12. I like to buy and sell, in theory that is.
    Only thing is, I don’t sell, just ask the missus!

13. Phil55Kratz

Phil55Kratz

I’m an aviation sheetmetal tech. Been doin it for 15 years.. tired of the the corporate bs starting at a hotrod shop soon to do what I love! [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

catdad49, fauj, Just Gary and 2 others like this.
  14. TWKundrat

TWKundrat

Work as a machinist. I'm cheap. I always do everything myself instead of paying someone to do it. I don't use credit cards. The house is hot in the summer and cold in the winter. No wife. No kids. No girlfriend. :( Think I'll go out to the garage now and close the door and listen to the car run for a while... :D

lumpy 63, catdad49, fauj and 3 others like this.
  15. Latigo

Latigo

I'm of Scottish ancestry and very frugal. Always lived within my means. My wife says I'll squeeze a nickel till the Indian rides the buffalo.

catdad49, j-jock, 56don and 4 others like this.
  16. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

I’m of Scottish ancestry also. Like many here - always worked hard - always careful with money. Our old cars are our big luxury and even with them I do everything (except upholstery and a few other things) myself. Most old car guys I have known are very practical and know how to make something old look better and last a little longer with out spending big money!

catdad49, olscrounger and Deuces like this.
  17. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

I've had income since I started a paper route at age 8. Never been without money and always had at least one job, sometimes 3 jobs at a time. Landed a good job (after attending a 2 year Community College program so I wasn't a mile deep in debt) with retirement benefits and stayed there 34 years, retiring at 54.5 years old with full pension.

The next important thing is keep my wife employed while I'm retired. She makes more than I ever did and I can sleep late. That's income and health benefits from her.

I buy and sell a lot of parts, trade cars a lot and am usually able to come out ahead a little on each one. I've funded my '32 5 window build with very little (maybe $3000, less than 10% of the cost so far) out of pocket. The rest was selling used parts, old race stuff and 1 car to fund the project. It's not a cheap build and I haven't cut a single corner in my eyes.

I've also invested in retirement accounts (starting back in the mid '80's) outside what the employer provided and those are returning some nice dividends right now. One account went up $20,000 in the last quarter. That's free money for me. Haven't put a dime in that account since 2012 when I retired. I withdrew some of that money and combining with with other part sale money I am shopping for a nice 55 Chevy 2 door sedan. She's not crazy about having another car but this one will be bought as a driver and not a major project. Something we can enjoy from day 1 and it will basically be funded from that last quarter's dividends.

Lots of way to fund projects if you are willing to work at it.

Work, get your wife to work, keep working after you're done working, make your money work for you....that's my formula.

SPark

18. Mimilan

Mimilan

So did I

catdad49 and Deuces like this.
  19. I take my grinder out and chew up tree stumps...Been doing this for the last 18+ years.. Paid for the roadster project , now funding the current A coupe project
    20141204_141046.jpg

20. I sell brody knob oil by the drop and chopped folding 29 Ford roadster windshield post here on the HAMB

catdad49 likes this.
  21. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

I spend everything I make, on racing, minus 10% to live on.

catdad49 likes this.
  22. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I worked my ass for about 35 years and ended up with a pretty good pension. The social security folks send me a little and the VA sends me a little, too. My 457b and 401k have done well especially in the last couple of years.

It appears that the work and save/invest mode works well. The sit on your ass and wait for someone to give it to you does not work well.

lumpy 63, catdad49, 56don and 6 others like this.
  23. grimmfalcon138

grimmfalcon138
    from az

Yup. Your ass falls asleep, and your arms get tired from always holding your hand out.

24. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

When we were teens, we never took money for jobs on other friend’s hot rods or cruisers. It was all pitch in the labor and sooner or later, their moms came out with some great food or the owner took us out for a nice lunch. Just being able to work on a cool hot rod or cruiser was plenty of pay for the amount of joy we all got during the work.

There were two ways to earn money for me. My mom did not want me to work during school, but, she allowed me to work on cars. Plus, the standard teenage macho banter/secrets came out easily when doing something as a favor. Those experiences paid off in droves for long lasting friendships that resulted from those 1959-65 teenage/early 20's fun times.

ONE: In order for me to get some spending money if I needed a new part or chrome stuff, then I had to repair someone’s surfboard. I did not really like to do the repairs as it was messy, smelly and the step before the final finish coat was sanding…ugggh. That sanding part was the thing that kept me from getting hired in a surfboard manufacturing shop. I knew it the moment I walked into my friend's workplace to help him with glassing and adding final coats to the surfboards. (And, the sanding area was outside in the back of the building, but still made me itch)

I am a sensitive guy and those flying glass particles did a number on my skin, clothes, and hair. I practically lived in the shower to get that stuff off so I would not itch my skin off. To me, it was not worth it to even do small ding repair, for fear of the dreaded fiberglass/resin itch attack. So, I covered up to do some repairs just for me and my brother. Yes, he paid well for me to do his repairs. That, I could not pass up, despite the itch. But, I told others, to take their repairs to a shop.

TWO: When my brother and I started building our Willys coupe for the B/Gas and C/Gas classes, we were buying parts like it went out of style. A speed part here, small screws there, spark plugs, oil, etc. The costs were rising for the two brothers. My brother had an after school job, being the oldest son. But, we decided in 1960 to make some business cards for our engine building business and parts. Now, we had a business resale number, the ability to get our own parts at a discount and purchase race parts for other friends.

Jnaki

The costs for a dealer/builder was enough to make a profit on the wheels, valve covers, distributors, new carb rebuild kits, etc. That was a simple process that was run out of our backyard converted garage. Now, there was no more itching from fiberglass !
    upload_2019-7-23_3-37-1.png 1959-64

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/whats-the-coolest-thing-you-found-in-an-old-car.26438/page-32#post-12501966

Aside: I did not make any money, but I bought 4 American Racing Torq Thrust 5 spoke mags for a friend’s new 1963 Buick Riviera. His sister and I hung around in their garage and saw a surfboard sitting in the rafters. Her brother wanted the new American Racing Mags and would pay me good money. He allowed me to surf on the balsa wood board to test it out. Then we agreed on a trade of the surfboard for the cost of the 4 mags, plus gas money and a nice lunch at a desirable local hamburger restaurant that we all liked, just around the corner.

I could have made a good profit, but I took in a 1959 Dale Velzy Balsa wood surfboard in trade. The board was in pristine shape, it looked good, but rode like a log. It was nowhere near the quality of the modern foam shaped longboards of the time period. Somehow, I decided to make a deal that made both of us happy. The cost to me was negligible as it was a straight away exchange.

He paid for the discounted American Mags and I walked away with a Dale Velzy Balsa Wood surfboard. His sister and I still hung out together, during the sale and afterwards. But, the best part was the improved look of the 5 spoke American Mags on the cool, 1963 Buick Riviera. It was one of a kind in the cruising scene.

I kept the board just because Dale Velzy was a name from the LA’s South Bay early surfing era and put out great looking boards. At the time no one wanted a balsa wooden board for their daily rider. Over the years, the board sat in our garage. Then when my brother got married and moved to Santa Barbara he took the board to display on the wall of his house. The cost of the board for collectors today, far surpasses what the cost for 4 American Racing Equipment 5 Spoke Mags.

25. So far I haven't been able to afford a hot rod.
    Mental note to self: Gotta get a better job!
    Luckily the o/t's are still affordable.
    Oh yeah, that's a different site.

catdad49 likes this.
  26. paul cochran

paul cochran

I feel your pain... I just sold my 1940 Willys gasser that I'd had since high school to be able to work on my 36 coupe and my tow vehicle … so yes I have to sell and trade as I can because heaven help me if I touch the house money...

catdad49, Deuces and lothiandon1940 like this.
  27. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

She's got you tuned in to how it all works, it appears. You're smart for recognizing it.

catdad49, Deuces and lothiandon1940 like this.
  28. It seems that there always comes a point where the credit cards own us. I realized that back in 1968, and cut up all the cards but one, paid them all up to date, and bought no more on the card in a month than I could pay for. Most people don't realize, that the card adds up to 20% interest on everything we buy, and if we stop and realize that we are adding 20% to the price of the shiny object we are looking at, it suddenly isn't worth buying. I couldn't believe how much easier it was to save for the things I wanted, and how much less pressure there was on me at billing time.
    I have a friend that is a retired trucker, and his joke was that he went through over $300,000 per year, but non of it stuck to him.
    Bob

29. Selling parts hasn't worked that well for me. It seems that, because I was buying the stuff for my own use, I have always paid more than I could recapture when I was ready to sell. My other problem is, that I have lots of good parts, and I have a difficult time letting them go. I would be a total failure trying to make money that way.
    Bob

catdad49 and scotty t like this.
  30. Wanna drive to Indiana? I’ll supply room and board and cheep beer (after the machine stops).:D:rolleyes: