Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 5 WINDOW 32 TOP INSERT PICTURES

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TANNERGANG, Aug 19, 2014.

1. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

I really want to put a flush Hartz top on my 5 Window...but I've seen some pretty nice stock mounted and Hartz tops around.....how about some pictures of your top inserts 20140816_111740_resized.jpg

2. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

I can't believe their is only ONE coupe out there with a top insert......come on guys...help a guy out here

3. Gman0046

Gman0046

The only top insert I've ever installed was a Juliano's on a 34 five window. Easy to install and it didn't leak. Not too sure who makes them other then Juliano's.

4. You can get supplies from LaBRron Bonney. I used vinyl top material from the upholstery shop. image.jpg

5. swifty

swifty

I'm really interested in this also. I tried to buy a Julianos kit for my glass 32-5 but they wouldn't ship it to Australia. Then I was told that their kit was to puffy and the surround trim too large. I don't have a trim piece so are they available from say LeBaron Bonney? If I had that I'm sure my trimmer would be able to do the job.
    Also what is a Hartz flush top?

6. fordcpe

fordcpe

Here is mine on 34 Ford 5 window.It was installed like originals were.The metal surounds are from macs auto but are aluminium and powder coated black.Darrell 100_7256.JPG

7. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

Are you wanting to flush mount an insert without using the original tack strip moldings? If so, I'd start with a Walden insert and make it bolt in.

I will say there's nothing like having the original tack strip moldings - there are guys who would kill just to have beat up ones....

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1408583520.350895.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

Kinda hard to explain unless you've seen one done that way....the material is cloth like they use on Mercedez and BMW convertible tops.....and the insert is fit flush with the top with a small bead of silicone around it....It make a super clean look

9. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

I'm familiar with Haartz. I have a roadster top in it. It sounds like you're up for some metal fabrication to create the channel for a flush fit insert. I still recommend starting with a Walden insert to get the structure and shape you need.

I would take a look at the 3 window that Dave Lane built for Phil Becker. It's the setup you want, and is executed perfectly - as with anything Dave does.

I'll buy your tack strip moldings to help find your project....

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. j3harleys

j3harleys

I'm trying to post pics but dont know how. If you do not have the original tack strips call 636 487 1307 or 636 240 8712. I cant remember this mans name but he has pre bent tack strips for 32 5w roof inserts that very close to original and they are flush. I found him on the hamb but cant remember how. I was very happy with his product it came with instructions and hardware. I put a white vinyl top in mine but you can use any material you like it was easier than I thought it would be. He will help you if you have any questions. Sorry I dont remember the cost even though it was just a few months ago Im geting older and have a bad case of CRS syndrome. If figure out how to post pics
    I will

11. j3harleys

j3harleys

hope this worked 20140820_195033.jpeg 20140820_194829.jpeg 20140820_195222 (1).jpeg

12. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

Man yeah...thanks, I'll give him a call and see what he has...I don't have any of the top tack strip....but I do have all new wood and the metal work around the top is perfect.....body is already painted, so I'm kinda limited to what I can do....I do want a flush or near flush tack strip around it like yours.....love your 5 window....but I'm toward 5 windows like the guy was about vanilla ice cream....the worst I ever had was great....so the worst 5 window I ever saw...I still liked it....hehehe............thanks, Tanner

13. Let us know what you find out

14. j3harleys

j3harleys

Once you get 5w fever you never recover from it

Al Consoli likes this.
  15. swifty

swifty

j3harleys I'm with Tanner gang on this. Thanks for the info. Your top insert looks great and your 32-5 window even greater.

16. brady1929

brady1929

Can I do this if someone filled in my top already?

17. j3harleys

j3harleys

You cant use original type but Im sure some one on here has put a false soft top on. I saw one a few years ago in calif. It didnt look original but it looked good. it looked like a julianos.

18. Al Consoli

Al Consoli

Yes. There was a "how to" article in Rod & Custom, using the Juliano top. I think you can find it on line with a search

19. Al Consoli

Al Consoli

20. brady1929

brady1929

21. pjw32

pjw32
    from N.Z

Finally found what i was looking for. Not to many post on top idea's
    Bit old but thanks . pete

22. xix32

xix32

This is what I put on my 5w. I wanted it to be as close to original as it could be. This is a LeBarron Bonney kit
    ( although they have since gone out of business) Original tack strips are nearly nonexistent, and if you did find one,
    it would be badly distorted by removal. I didn't want a "Julianos" tack strip, because they look like a big lump sticking up there. I tried to use the newly available U.P. tack strip, since I mistakenly thought at $ 400. it would be the best. My description of the U.P. tack strip I received will follow. `32 tack strip.JPG

over view of tack strip.JPG

U.P. shipped their $400 tack strip sandwiched between to cheap pieces of cardboard. Mine came bent because of that. But that wasn't the worse of it. The inside of the bends were kinked from compression during the bending. Those could be dollied down, but the biggest surprise was the "hat" shaped channel section where the rubber seal fits into was too deep, and bottomed out in the body gutter before the flanges set down tight against the body and the top material. I wasn't expecting to have to reshape the whole thing after paying $ 400. for it. I thought U.P. quality was better than that. I ended up buying the inexpensive extruded aluminum straight lengths tack strips from a model "A" parts supplier. They have the correct shaped cross section, to fit down in the "gutter" properly, then I built two forming tools ( because the front and back corners have two different radius).
    I know enough about metal forming to know that the U.P. tack strip is made on roll form tooling. Why didn't they get the cross section shape right ?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    Kiwi 4d likes this.
  23. That sure looks better than any other products I have seen. It does not look like it sticks up at all. Would like to see a lower photo and the rest of the car.

24. koolbeans

koolbeans

Question....can someone offer the exact opening dimensions for the '32 Ford five window original soft? And some photos too.?
    Thanks

Sent from my XT1710-02 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app