Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Who's Building a T?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Slimegreeeeeen, Nov 19, 2011.

1. robert4005

robert4005

I appreciate the advice it’s all a moot point right as it may be 2-3 years before can even start building it right now cowl steering is what I want but by the time I start I may have something else figured out. I haven’t built all the rods the rest of you have but at this point I can’t agree with mounting the drag link at an angle. .

loudbang likes this.
  2. AndersF

AndersF

If it is cowlsteering you want, that is what you should do.
    But other options work as well with manual transmission.
    Just have to put some thought in it couse model T:s are small.
    Sinister custom put a ordinary steering with Ansen swingpedals to make it work.
    I did a vega cross steering on my build.
    In the "buildthread index" on top of the first side there is some model T:s buildthreads to read.
    Allso in this thread there is alot of good information to get.

3. Limey Kid

Limey Kid

I only have a 2 car garage. I have a '33 coupe and I'm building a 2 man modified. Had some leftovers, but to fit in the garage it needs to be small!
    Cheers,
    Stewart. thumbnail_IMG_20190718_162203012.jpg thumbnail_IMG_20190718_162059641.jpg thumbnail_IMG_20190718_162226920.jpg

Lil'Alb, bondojunkie, N.Ozols and 5 others like this.
  4. All i will say on this subject (as this isn't the place for this) is this is what you need to work out first and make the rest (motor/ trans) work with it. Its much easier in the end. JW

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    loudbang and robert4005 like this.
  5. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Sort of like you guys who have done all this don’t know shit and I’m going to go ahead and do what I want.

Then later on comes the thread titled “ Help my car drives like a piece of crap and I can’t figure out why” :D

trollst, brEad, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  6. 10/4, Larry. :D JW

loudbang and Blue One like this.
  7. robert4005

robert4005

Others have done it and made it work and I will too. I been playing with cars and trucks my whole life and spent more than 25 years fabricating and welding on the job so I DO know a thing or too. If you disagree with me that’s fine. I’ve been polite and will continue to be, you do the same.

Jet96 and loudbang like this.
  8. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I stand by my view of your attitude regardless of your self perceived experience or ability.

There’s a little line that goes show us what you can do rather than telling us what you can do.

Just casually blowing off what guys who know a lot more than you about what you posted asking for advice on isn’t smart or polite.

I had considered cowl steering for my 26 RPU but after considering advice from much more knowledgeable friends and members of this forum as well decided against it.

I came up with something better that accomplished what I wanted.

I’ll be watching for your future - I’ve screwed up please help me thread.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  9. robert4005

robert4005

“The cowl steering has been great. You just need to pay special attention to Ackerman angle and pitman arm length so the steering isn't wacky and to avoid bump steer. My T has neither and drives great.

Let me know if you have any questions and I see if I can help.”

The above comes from a guy who has cowl steering on his T . Matter of fact he has a build thread on here. Thanks for your input you’re helping more than you know.

loudbang likes this.
  10. robert4005

robert4005

“Just casually blowing off what guys who know a lot more than you about what you posted asking for advice on isn’t smart or polite.”
    I was sharing the plans I had for the car I wasn’t asking for advice. If it’s that important to you reread my comments if not let’s move on. Or if you like send me a pm and we’ll talk privately.

11. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I’ll still be watching. No need for further discussion on something that you think you have a handle on.
    Even though you probably don’t.

If you do actually ask for advice I’m still not convinced that you’d actually want it or take it.
    Carry on.

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  12. robert4005

robert4005

Ok help me out here. I don’t know whether I have a 26 or a 27. I’m new to model Ts. From research thus far it seems there was actually more wood in the 27 coupe body than the 26. I’ve seen pics of other coupes that have an inner panel around the rear window with some large holes in it and then some like mine that don’t. Maybe mine did and it’s missing. I don’t know. Can you or anyone else tell me how to figure out whether I have a 26 or a 27? I don’t actually have it home yet it’s being shipped.
    By the way, I REALLY LIKE your roadster.

Attached Files:

Tall t 26 and loudbang like this.
  13. Sorry, i'm not up on T Coupes just Roadsters but would like to learn the difference. JW

Blue One, loudbang and robert4005 like this.
  14. robert4005

robert4005

I’ve heard there’s supposed to be a tag with a body serial number somewhere around the seat area? Did your T come from the states or was there a factory in NZ?

15. From the U.S. 8 years ago. JW

16. The only serial number on a Model T was on the engine block. I found a thread on here from 9 years back looking for the same thing. JW

17. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Now you’ve gone and done it :D
    Asked me something I’m not sure of the answer on.
    I’ve heard that there were only minor differences between 26 and 27 one of them was something to do with the dash.

Post if you happen to discover the differences.

loudbang and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  18. AndersF

AndersF

There have been some threads about this and no one is really sure.
    But if i got it right the 27 had wood to mount the interior around the windows.
    The 26 got the the sheetpanel with holes.
    Another one is the top hinges for the windsheild. 26 supposed to have pianostyle
    and 27 c-clamps.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  19. clem

clem

No factory in NZ at that time.
    All the NZ new Ford’s of the ‘30s era, came from Canada, due to tariff reasons, as Canada was part of the British Empire.

20. robert4005

robert4005

21. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Actually they started stamping the frames too in 26 or 27.

22. robert4005

robert4005

I’ve also gathered that no one knows for sure, even the restorers.

23. robert4005

robert4005

I don’t have a frame just the body in the pics.

24. robert4005

robert4005

I sure will I’m not anybody knows, the restoration crowd would know better than us hotrodders but that generation is just about gone.

loudbang likes this.
  25. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Are the sill plates different on the coupes from 26-27? I know on the roadsters they are. 27 has a big one piece sill plate whereas 26 has a two piece.

loudbang likes this.
  26. From what I can see it looks like a 27 by the back window.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

26 T Ford RPU and loudbang like this.
  27. goldmountain

goldmountain

Really don't know the difference between '26 and '27. Mine has the wood around the quarter windows and I found a 1926 license plate so I registered it as a '26. From what little that we started with, what does it matter?

loudbang, AndersF and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  28. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

The differences that I know or I think I know are;
    • Difference in headlight mounting. 1927 has the full headlight bar, while the 26 has the lights on pegs.
    • The 1926 has the metal around the rear and 1/4 windows
    • The 26 coupe has the finger hinges while the 27 has the hinges more like the Model A closed cab pickup.
    • Somewhere in between all that, there is also an additional variance with respect to coupe to hinges with some using more and less bolt holes and in some cases the top hinge has a 90 degree bend into the A pillar end.
    • Obviously other restoration and mechanical items that probably does not interest most of us.
    • A lot of folks don't realise that these T 's did not have water pumps...

26 T Ford RPU and loudbang like this.
  29. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

30. robert4005

robert4005

Well it’s home finally. Now at least I have my own pics of it non my own place. A little rough but something I can work with and besides what original T body isn’t?

Attached Files:

EVL401, brEad, Tim_with_a_T and 5 others like this.