Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What did you do today?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Daniels Auto Repair, Jul 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

hottest day of the year so far and I welded all the holes in my frame horns and made a spreader bar. Also my first time mig welding with my new welder!
    IMG_2174.JPG IMG_2178.JPG

2. Swapped 4 gears for 5 gears
    20190719_201935.jpg 20190719_201918.jpg

3. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Drove up to the hills with the wife today , looked at a cabin that belongs to a good friend for a future holiday stay. We all had Lunch and headed down the mountain. Stopped by the shop and loaded up the 377 in the back of my wife's OT hot rod pick up. Headed home and pulled the 406 out of the 37 to get ready for the new engine. Good day in my book.:D

4. Scratched my head a lot. Reassembling a car I disassembled, painted, and ordered new trim and rubber parts two years ago, finding all the parts and figuring out where they go. Talk about a self created basket case.:(

5. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

Taught the boy how to replace a valve stem and work on brakes....

6. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

Been there...doing that....

61Cruiser and osage orange like this.
  7. Lil32

Lil32

Ryan
    opened up HAMB tonight "new posts" and found all these idiots posting about soccer ??
    Noel

8. The tail light sockets on my older 6o's Chevy and GMC trucks are not reliable. Just too old & crusty. So I get the rear tail light wiring harness from OT 73 and newer trucks and revamp the original 66 housing to accept the newer plastic twist in from the rear socket. and use the entire square cab rear harness that has a built in ground. This morning I was pulling a taillight from a 84 truck and when I got it loose a big swarm of wasp came out. Kinda Cool this AM so luckily I did not get stung. After they settled down and went back in the nest. I got a can of Wasp and hornet Spray and killed them all. I was able to remove the rear wiring harness successfully without getting stung.

61Cruiser likes this.
  9. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Came home after work , Hot and humid here in So Cal ... said screw it , Went into the garage installed the pilot bushing in the 377 installed the clutch and put the engine in the caro_O Sweatin like a pig but it felt good.Enjoyed a couple of Ice cold beers..Good day in my book.

61Cruiser, Hamtown Al, Lil32 and 3 others like this.
  10. Christian Moller

Christian Moller

Started up my 239 for my Model A pickup:)
    i'm sooo tempted to just put it in the car before painting, fix the brakes and make a crossmember for the gearbox so i can make a test run(first time in two years).
    /Christian IMG_20190725_153834_resized_20190725_045909123.jpg IMG_20190725_151233_01_resized_20190725_045907053.jpg

11. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Spent more of my retirement this morning. Not really looking forward to the work as I am to the results. I guess I made a choice for the disc brakes conversion on my 56... image.jpeg

phelan9251 likes this.
  12. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Last Sunday I seen the taillights of a 9 year plus project leaving my driveway.

Chavezk21 and lumpy 63 like this.
  13. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

Elderly 90 yrs Lady neighbor 3 properties down the road had a Rattlesnake under her back patio swing as she was swingin , her dog was barking at it , she bent down had a look , smoked her slippers getting herself and dog back inside , called me so I went down there and dispatched it , 3 ft. long 6 rattles.

phelan9251, The37Kid, trollst and 7 others like this.
  14. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I got some award swag at a cruise in last night in Portland. Beats playing with snakes!
    upload_2019-7-25_13-26-17.png
    Then enjoyed a nice drive home sans top
    upload_2019-7-25_13-26-50.png

15. Well, did nothing automotive today other than start my 56 up for a while. I spent all day bush hogging, but unlike a couple of years ago, I didn't find any old cars that I forgot I had...:eek:

WB69 and lumpy 63 like this.
  16. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Came home from work still sweaty and humid here, went out in the garage and wrenched on the 37 for awhile. Hooked up the clutch and bolted on the fenderwell headers. Couldn't help myself :p even though the front clip is still off and the headers are uncapped I lit it off for the neighbors to enjoy for a minute or so:D This new 377 is way more snotty than the old 400:cool:

17. one time My dad tore up his bush hogg when he ran over a 63 Pontiac auto trans I had threw in the brush at the edge of the field. Boy he wasn't happy.

osage orange likes this.
  18. terry k

terry k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from toledo oh

Went down to the do some Varnish work on the outside of my big boat before it got to hot. Then went down and cleaned out the grease and oil in the inside of my little boat( 1956 Lyman) after it partially sank last week. TOO HOT. Can home and tried to finish the install of my new flathead in the '32 chassis. Now the motor mounts rub on the tie-rod,so no steering. P.O.'ed so went in the house and took a short nap.....One step forward and 6 back.........

osage orange and Benny B like this.
  19. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20. Caprice89

Caprice89

Please, mask your personal details. No one needs to know where are all your nice stuff is residing (sorry, occupational habit).

Sent from my hand held online shouting device.

21. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Built a rolled pan for my 40 PU, try to get the ends closed and mounted tomorrow. IMG_3258.JPG IMG_3263.JPG IMG_3265.JPG

22. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

went to Midnight Mass in Woodland, CA 20190727_122159.jpg 20190727_123842.jpg 20190727_133053.jpg 20190727_124222.jpg

32SEDAN, LAROKE, Max Gearhead and 4 others like this.
  23. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I cut out the wheel arches on my Falcon, and welded in replacements.

I was not satisfied with the quality of my work, the first time.

osage orange likes this.
  24. The37Kid

The37Kid

Found a misplaced eBay sale item, only one more to find. Made room to mount some tires tomorrow in the cool basement.

osage orange likes this.
  25. Drove down to Lincoln, Ne. in my coupe to attend Speedway Motors Cars & Coffee get together...can't really call it a show. Met up with Dirt Car and Hotrod Roadster and his sweetie, Brandi. Malcolm was said to be there but I musta missed him...
    Holy shit! This friendly little event has gotten HUGE! All paved parking was filled when I got there and I parked on the grass....along with about 300 other hot rods. Weather was perfect if not a touch warm at about 88 today with 80% humidity.
    Dear Speedway Motors: buy more donuts next time please....they were gone when I got there. Sorry...no photos today
    Oh yeah. I FINALLY put a gas pedal in my car. I used a bass drum aluminum pedal that says Speed pro or some shit..I can now get full throttle.

26. RMONTY

RMONTY

Finally got a few friends over and we replaced the deteriorated OSB on the north wall of the shop, put new OSB and siding on. Ready for some rake, corner, and window trim and then some gutters and the exterior of the shop will be finished. Only took 4.5 years. ;) 20190728_073618.jpg 20190728_081604.jpg 20190728_085148.jpg 20190728_091150.jpg 20190728_095540.jpg 20190728_102834.jpg 20190728_105833.jpg

27. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Started installing the main wiring harness and cursed quite a bit. Lol

20190728_163508.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G970U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

LAROKE, saltflats and osage orange like this.
  28. Hombre

Hombre

Yesterday turned out to be adventure day for me. I have been looking for a few years now for a 1930's Mopar to build. I have a few Hemi's (5) and I thought a 30's Mopar would make the perfect home for one. I was checking the different web car sites when I stumble on this 1937 Plymouth Coupe, a few years new're than I was hoping for but what the heck, it was a 30's Mopar. Call the guy up and man did he have a story to tell. He was in the process of installing a bored and stroked, fuel injected 351 Cleveland into this car. On the day they finally got the engine in there and buttoned up, he fires it off in his shop. Well he had a broken foot and was wearing one of those boot things, his boot slips off of the brake and onto the gas pedal. This close to a 1,000 horsepower injected Cleveland and the car take off. As it is accelerating up his driveway he slams into his enclosed car trailer, the steering column breaks loose he slams into that and man was the old dude messed up.

He had an incision from 4" below his belly button to midchest, he had to wear a Bag for over 7 months as they ( the doc's) had to remove a foot or two of his colon. He was in the hospital for 3 months. And after the seven months he had just had a the colostomy bag removed the day before I called him about the car. To say he is ready for this car to go away would be an understatement.

Myself and a couple more of my buddys, both post here on the HAMB, take off up there yesterday to take a look and bring this Mopar home "Maybe". The old dude, turns out he is 73, has made me a great deal for this car less than monster Cleveland. We get up there. about a 100 miles or so, and the car is absolutely a MESS. The frame is bent almost double but is still under the car and it even roles, Kinda, Sorta. All of the front sheet metal, hood and sides, both front fenders were not on the car when it went smack into the enclosed trailer and they are pristine. The body has a couple of kinks and the drivers side door will not close or even come close to closing. Sadly the grill shell was on the car, and I will leave to your imagination what that looked like. Anyone got a grill shell for a 1937 Plymouth?

I must say also that after looking closely at this car and the way it was put together, that the best thing that ever happened to that old guy was running into that trailer, even though his injury's could have killed him, if he had been running down the road at 50 or 60 miles an hour and hit a pot hole I am sure he would have died on the spot.

But, damn always a but. The man was offering me this 30's Mopar for $800.00. Man for that I will park it down by the pond and use it for yard art. It does have a narrowed 9" rear with a Posi and 4/57 gears of all things. That alone was worth the trip, that and his story. Also setting in his shop was something I have lusted for, for a long time. He has a 150lb Vulcan Farriers anvil. Been trying to buy one for a long time but not at $450 or $500 like most folks are asking. This I bought from him for a $100.00 and then as we were leaving I got to feeling bad about the price and went and gave him another $50.00.

So we get the car and all of the parts, my buddy keith (woodsnwater on here) even talks the old dude out of a set of sissy bars he has. Keith when he heard we were going up to Tennessee gets on Craigslist to see if he can find any parts up that way. He does find a Ford toploader up there in Dunlap, Tennessee so we head up there to retrieve that as well, only about 20 or 30 miles from were we were.

We get the toploader and finally we are headed home. Here in the south once a year they have what is called the "Longest Garage Sale" on one of the highways ( sorry I don't know which it is) they have a garage sale from Rainbow City, Alabama all the way up to Ohio somewhere, on that highway its several hundred miles long. Wall to wall venders hundreds of them maybe thousands of them, all along the road in all of the town's everywhere. That garage sale thing is actually next weekend, I guess except in Dunlap, Tennessee because those cats started a week early. So we are driving down thru downtown Dunlap with a ton of traffic looking for the open road. My other buddy Steve yells out "Man did you see that?" see what I ask, that Shark he says. Don't know for sure how far Dunlap, Tennessee is from any waters that might hold a Shark but it is a ways I am pretty sure. Steve screams man you got to turn around. I hand a few lefts and a couple of rights finally get the truck and trailer back roughly were we were, and I see the biggest damn 8 or 9' stuffed Shark in one of those spaces. Steve is out of the truck and after 45 minutes or so finally talks the Shark guy in to selling this stuffed shark.

So here we are truck trailer, 30's poor old broke back $800 Mopar, and a stuffed Shark that is so damn long it is hanging out the window of my Dodge Crew Cab truck. Man was that A sight, 4 foot of shark hanging out the window, Steve is in the back seat cradling this damn thing so that the fins don't get broke.

Like I said it was an adventure. First time in my life I went on a road trip to get a car and came home with a damn Shark in my back seat...

Plymouth.jpg

thumbnail (1).jpg

29. woodsnwater

woodsnwater
    from North Al.

It was a day I’ll never forget. Let’s do it again next weekend!

RICH B, 34 GAZ, osage orange and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.