Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods How do You support your (hot rod) addiction?!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by catdad49, Jul 20, 2019.

1. catdad49

catdad49

I have a picture like that somewhere. I got to wear a silver jacket, along with gloves, leggings and face shield. Do they still have a salt pill dispenser? I tried one......... Nastee!

j-jock, VANDENPLAS, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  2. No more salt pills. Now we have gatoraid type drinks.

3. I take the neighborhood kids out on Saturday mornings.... We hit the newspaper stands= the ol'e dispenser. I get like 50 for a dollar. The kids sell the papers locally downtown for a buck a piece......7-10 stands on an average.
    Depends if the kids are cranky or not, but I play music they like....... Seem's to be working, and everyone get's Mickey D's after work..... (happy meals only!) Everyone is happy. Just bought a new intake today! - That's for my troubles......
    Of course, all my friends will get their own route someday!.........

4. LOL. Vintage squirrel..!

Ben

5. topher5150

topher5150

I've been trying to sell and trade, but that doesn't always work the best. My wife's disability back pay check finally showed up and that has taken care of a lot of her medical bills so hopefully that will let me save up some more money.

6. I started working a second part-time job in 1981 for a little extra cash...2 wives and 2 kids later...still working 2 jobs...I pay cash for everything...I only get 2 weekends off a year tho...but I owe no one...as long as the good lord lets me do it...I plan on working until I die...so I will always have cash to buy parts for my boy toys...the folks at my day job don't understand it but they are also in debt up to their ears too...
    Not like I planned back in the day as kid but it works for me...so don't stop working and don't stop saving a little every week...
    MikeC

7. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I work. Have sold all the junk I had that I didn't need. Parted out a few clunkers and sold stuff on eBay for a while until it got to hard to find decent clunkers. 60's and 70's stuff pretty much gone, 80's and newer stuff nobody wants so I don't fool with it anymore. All my vehicles except my semi truck are paid off, only owe about 8 months on it, house is paid off, two credit cards that will get paid off soon after the truck does, then maybe, just maybe, I might have some money again.....

8. I work my full time job... that, and my wife's income covers the house expenses and the kids colleges and related expenses. That dosent leave much left for anything else really.
    I have a couple of expensive hobbies (hot rods and shooting sports).
    In order to support my hobbies I taught myself to screen print shirts and stuff.
    Set up a small shop in the basement, got a couple of local regular customers plus 12 to 20 trade shows a year. It's not a huge some of money but it keeps me in car parts, reloading supplies etc.
    It's pretty easy work and the initial set up cost is pretty low
    Chappy

9. I am an illegal drug dealer. Pays well. Whatcha need??;)

10. What Old Wolf said and maybe why some of my projects get put on the back burner waiting for that extra cash roll.
    It's what my uncle said....he did side jobs for his car habit and keep the monies for the household separate.

11. look at the HAMB posts of the lucky ones.......

12. Bought the inventory of an Old Speed Shop
    Then sold at swap meets.

13. 1953naegle

1953naegle

I'm still young and raising a family, but I learned early that the only way to keep the cars was lots of work, but also to DRIVE THEM. If you see them as only a luxury hobby or something shiney to keep holed up in the garage, it's too easy to divert time and money towards more important things.

When my wife married me, she knew I was 'that guy' that worked on and drove old cars, and she liked them too, but she knew that I wouldn't let them stop me from starting a family either.

We just paid off our family mini-van, but we don't have any other car payments! At least once a month, I put a few hundred bucks towards keeping the 53' on the road, or putting the 54' back on the road, and it's ok, because otherwise I'd be putting that money towards a newer car that would be taken away if I skipped enough payments. I own all my vehicles and now my money is going towards appreciating their value.

The other side of this is that I want to raise kids around old cars like I was so that they can learn to appreciate the rewards of hard work. I don't want my kids to think I put my life on hold for them. I belive it's better to live life while raising the next generation. Otherwise, one becomes a bane to the other.

14. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I'm good at saving money. I also trade for what I need.

UNSHINED 2, Deuces and catdad49 like this.
  15. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

16. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

I live at work when I want something. I always seem to want something. AKA ... addiction

Deuces and catdad49 like this.
  17. BLACKNRED

BLACKNRED

I break in to Meth addicts places and steal all their stuff........

work hard, wheel and deal a bit, don't buy shit you don't need for your current project/s, keep the car on the road as much as possible and use it.

18. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

45 years of work= 401k & Social Security.

19. southcross2631

southcross2631

I retired from Homeland security and I work at a golf course that gives me free golf and a paycheck.

UNSHINED 2 and Deuces like this.
  20. camcrusher

camcrusher
    from Candor, NY

I scrap out junk steel that I get off my "real" job. Its amazing how much brass and copper goes for.

21. catdad49

catdad49

Been out of the foundry for 20 yrs. (holy shit, time flies) and had forgotten all about the drinks! The work was hot, sweaty, noisy and dirty, but it provided a good income (a lot of OT for a lot of yrs.).

22. clem

clem

Don’t drink, don’t smoke, don’t buy those nice coffees every day, and careful with the $ we do earn.
    ( a $5 coffee every day is $1825 of tax paid income each year )

23. jailbar joe

jailbar joe

i sell drugs,sell stolen cars,and rob banks....but in real life i am enjoying the fruits of my 50 odd years of labour and collecting junk (at the time) and a bit of horse trading....want to buy a palomino ???

chryslerfan55, Deuces and catdad49 like this.
  24. With me It's been a combination of what some of you have already said. I married well TOO!:) Lol My wife has always loved old cars. She's in charge of our family budget. So I've always had a Hot Rod allowance.;) Also junkyards, swap meets, and having no other hobbies or vices, has worked for me. I'm not very good at selling my stuff. Lol But I am pretty good at saving my nickels and dimes. I am a real tight wad. Unless It's an old car part!:rolleyes: RON....

Sent from my SM-G920P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  25. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Bust my ass then beg Mama for some of the money I earned....lol. But really lots and lots of under the table side jobs and swaps, swaps are very important in my budget......will work for car parts is my motto!

26. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

My wife likes this crap also, more than me! That is her roadster in my avitar

Uribe, Deuces and catdad49 like this.
  27. Deuces

Deuces

My boss provides the coffee... I take mine black with a little sweet stuff.... Never did get into that "yuppy" coffee... :rolleyes:

28. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

Work all day on every one else cars to work on mine in the evening and weekend

29. In all seriousness and reality, I can afford my hobby because I am basically a cheap bastard. I eat cheap, I wear cheap clothes, I have never bought but two pieces of furniture in my life, its all hand me downs. My house is finally paid for and I don't move, I have been here 35 years. I don't splurge on anything really except old cars. I am obviously not married or none of the above would be possible because women like buying useless junk all the time instead of spending money wisely on worn out rusty car parts....;)

30. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Buy and sell parts and cars over the years.

We didn’t have “spare” money for cars and stuff like that and at times in the 80’s I worked 3 jobs to pay bills and put food on the table.

I started buying and stripping cars and hitting the Swap meets to support my car habit. Since 1982 everything I have bought, built, fixed and sold was paid for by this with not a dime coming from my weekly pay check(s). It has worked out fine but slowed down over the years.

Cliff Ramsdell

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    j-jock, chryslerfan55, Deuces and 2 others like this.