Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects rebuilding after the crash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Sep 19, 2015.

1. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

That is a sad deal. Lippy lurking. :)

Stogy, dirty old man and loudbang like this.
  2. frank spittle

frank spittle

I heard he owned a marina or marinas. It's going to be interesting to see what the value of the historic cars are in today's market. I would like to have my '64 Dodge Hemi lightweight back but I know it will bring a lot more than I sold it for.

3. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Don't mean to butt in to the conversation but the guy ain't a gearhead. LOL

racer-x likes this.
  4. no he is not. he treats the most famous cars in our sport like stocks and bonds. there is no magic in hauling cars around the country to show off. the magic is seeing and hearing soxs cuda power shifting down the track with the hemi in full song. or watching it burn through the rosin bouncing around as it fights for more traction. at least he didn't try to race my old car. the dumb ass most likely would have ruined it. he told me he was a race car driver because he once drove a ten second nova. I told him the 65 is no ten second car. I showed him a video before he left with the car of it doing some seven second passes. it scared him. he said he was worth a lot of money and didn't want to get killed.

5. MikeC62

MikeC62
    from Missouri

I like that. “I’m worth too much money to die”

Runnin shine and loudbang like this.
  6. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

7. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

That sounds like a extension to the “I’ll sue your ass” mentality of current times. I think I will tell my children not to fear bullies. Tell’m your worth too much to beat up?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  8. The t shirts were picked up today. Just in time for the glory days race. When I get back from it I will PM everyone that wanted one.

9. The 44 amp mag did the job. Pulled the wheels a foot and a half. 1.27 60 foot with the rear tires. Ran 5.6 in the 1/8 on and off the gas. The track temp is 150 plus. Lots of sliding around. Finally got it back to were it was. Roger showed up to help out driving in from Iowa. 20190719_154501.jpg

10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Any video of that pass Brian?

enloe likes this.
  11. RustyDogg

RustyDogg

Just finished reading the entire thread. Thank you for sharing such great detail about the build. I learned quite a bit and it goes without saying you've put forth an incredible effort with tremendous skill and execution. From tradegy to triumph! Hats off to you sir!

enloe, loudbang and racer-x like this.
  12. a guy stopped by the trailer this morning with this pic on a plaque. 20190720_103313.jpg

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  13. Champscotty58

Champscotty58

Here's a little action from Glory Days today. Track is a little slimy.

Sent from my SM-N950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. 20190720_140547.jpg Thanks Aaron for the video.
    Its hotter today for sure. It's so hot the crack heads are putting copper back into the air conditioners.

15. Just saw your 8:18 live on Byron youtube coverage!!!!!

16. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

My buddy saw a run today. Too cool and LOUD

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

17. It ran 4.98 in the eighth mile. Still too fat.

18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's your year @racer-x...you work really hard for it too...The Science of Man And Machine...

19. squirrel

squirrel

8.18 at 139 shows a lot of potential....

20. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I hope to see a 6.66 this season at just over 200.
    Cause the S/FC is clearly somewhat evil.
    On that note any special plans for the fire burnout at Rays? Green flames?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    Stogy, racer-x, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  21. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Lots of the cars running at Byron yesterday were loud, but this brings a whole new meaning to the word. Being near the burnout box when it fires up, on the receiving end of those zoomies, it’s a unique, sharper, harsher version of loud.

racer-x, Stogy, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  22. squirrel

squirrel

try going on a few hundred mile road trip with it....even on gasoline, and sitting in another car, that thing is LOUD

racer-x, Stogy, David Gersic and 2 others like this.
  23. Huh? What did you say? I like the way it sounds on nitro. On the street it's too loud for me. I plan on making another set of zoomies that have more baffling in them. I don't street drive it without ear plugs. I drove it into town once without them and my ears rang for a week. Hearing loss is a permanent thing. It doesn't come back. As a kid we never thought about those things. We have gotten smarter over the years.

24. on a good note the car went faster on every pass. we keep leaning it out. we will now add some timing. this will also lean it out further and make it hit harder. the top end will pick up big time. the tune up was very conservative do to the slick track.

25. loudbang

loudbang

Now that you are getting faster and faster does any of your regular crew have any emergency medical training besides yourself that is.

Stogy, enloe and 48fordnut like this.
  26. Saxxon

Saxxon

Saw 2 of the passes on the Live feed. The first was the one where it was stumbling but the second was an awesome 8.0... something... or close to that... and it sounded like you were out of it by 1000 ft... but it sounded awesome...

27. not knowing what was going to happen with the 44 amp mag I had the car set up real conservative. either it was going to run or fall on its face passing the tree like it has been. the timing was set for all runs at 45 degrees. the main pill on run number one was a 70. I went up by 10 each pass. the last pass had a 110. it needs a bigger pill or additional timing. adding timing has a bigger effect than adding more nitro or making it leaner. the plugs are not even showing any color. I made all four passes on the same plugs. they still looked like brand new. after each pass the amount of nitro in the puke tank was less and less. the leak down got better to. the engine get tighter with each pass. the next time we go out I will move the timing a few degrees advanced if the track is good. this move should help clear it up on the top end. this should get us well into the 7s. I don't have another engine laying around so I have to move forward with caution. we will get there drag week isn't for a few months.

28. saxxon I got out of it because I started to smell burning oil. not knowing if there was a fire I lifted then looked in the rear view mirror for clues. there was no smoke or anything hitting the windshield so I just coasted to the finish line. there was a small puddle of oil at the back of the engine on the return road. the diaper didn't catch it so it must be from the rear seal. I let the top end track guys know so they could check things out. that pass shows the potential this car has. who knows how fast it will go. 8.18 letting off early is a good start.

29. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I can tell by the tone of your voice that life got better with the new mag Brian.
    Happy to see the tuneup coming around.

30. none of my crew has medical training. but seeing we are on the subject and it was very hot out I did take some time to teach them about heat issues. with heat exposure the skin is cool moist and pale. while uncomfortable this is not life threatening. if the skin is hot red and dry this is dangerous. this is heat stroke. medical attention is needed now. teaching the crew about a few indicators of heat stroke can prevent a serious problem. with everyone knowing what to look for we can all keep a eye on each other and be safe in the heat.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019