Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods How do You support your (hot rod) addiction?!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by catdad49, Jul 20, 2019.

1. catdad49

catdad49

Alright guys, not asking for any trade secrets or anything, but what's the secret to keeping those projects going forward especially for those of us on a fixed income? Short of selling my soul, any suggestions?! Thanks, Carp.

2. By buying and selling & trading. My wife gets my Social Security check and spends all of it and all of hers. SO I have to sell stuff in order to buy stuff.

Do it Over, bob b., fauj and 4 others like this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

4. Deuces

Deuces

Ummm... Work my ass off for good pay???....

5. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Fixed income slows things down that's for sure.

6. As a kid growing up we didn't have much so I learned early that if I wanted anything I had to work for it, I was picking up returnable pop bottles in ditches and fields for 3 cents apiece, cutting grass and candling eggs for chicken farmer down the road, I saved ever dollar I got from the odd jobs and any birthday money.

That's how I was able to buy my first 1932 Ford 5 window coupe when I was 12 years old.

After I got married and the twins came along if I wanted motorcycle money or hot rod money I worked a extra part time job working for a friend doing residential repairs & hanging wallpaper.

Later on I bought and sold parts and cars, I got the cars I want and I still attend the occasional swap meet and sell some of my overflow. HRP

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    pkhammer, j-jock, Mechman_22 and 11 others like this.
  7. When I was younger it was sometimes tough to find the money for cars and parts and such. I worked some pretty long hours through my life and now I find it's harder to find the time than it is the money. I'm not sure that's all good but I guess it's better than having no time and no money. :)

8. 32Dan

32Dan
    from Chino, CA

My wife loves me...

9. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

X2

10. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Work on what you can to the end. In other words. Project have all sorts of smaller jobs that require it own time. So, don't blow the whole car apart (there will never ever be an end in site when on a budget). One thing at a time while it's road worthy is a great help. The more time behind the wheel even though it's not the completed dream goes a long way. Remember, people out side of your car no matter it's state of completion will always give you a thumb's up. And that goes a long way. To be honest about my 56. I'd rather have it back as a beater.

Joemama, j-jock, osage orange and 5 others like this.
  11. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have no sage advice. I am surprised to still having a job after nearly dieing at my desk. I have squirreled away parts for the 34 along the way. If I saw a fair deal, I jumped on it. When they finally cut me loose I will have plenty to work with.

Algoma56 and catdad49 like this.
  12. Cocaine lots and lots of cocaine !!!
    Keeps you motivated and your pockets filled !!!
    Lol j/k

I work hard for the extra money and a lot of buying and flipping for the extras
    And a wife that understands my addiction...... to cars !! Lol

I never liked cocaine, but I sure do love to smell it !!

chryslerfan55, catdad49 and deadbeat like this.
  13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Currently cooling my heels until SS kicks in next year.
    Was a machinist for thirty years, I spent most of my money on hot rods, the rest I wasted.
    The real key to my frivolity was no kids, no drugs and no cable or cel phone bills.
    Life was good for those 30 years until old age and the dwindling need for manual machinists, now it's arthritis meds, insurance and AARP subscriptions.
    At least I don't need the little blue pills yet!

14. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

I began dancing downtown on the weekends and when I tired of that I found many women online who supported me and considered me a fine piece of man candy.

15. By selling ass on a street corner in south Chicago.

:D

Hombre, fauj, Tri-power37 and 6 others like this.
  16. When cash-limited, make a list of all the tasks that require little or no $$; things like grinding weld beads, fabbing brackets, cleaning up the shop, pounding out dents, etc.

When you're waiting on your $$ allowance, attack that list.

17. Gman0046

Gman0046

With 2 retirements and Social Security for my wife and myself we have nowheres near the cash coming in while we were working. I've been subsidizing my income by buying and selling old cars. I've sold a car at the NSRA Nats in Louisville, Kentucky the last five or six years. Using the profits to start the process all over again.

Hombre, j-jock, chryslerfan55 and 4 others like this.
  18. My dog has money!;) Here she is relaxing in the pool!:rolleyes:
    IMG_5449.JPG

19. I brought up 3 kids, and they love me so much that they buy me anything I desire. :)

In actual fact they are great, and all have successful careers. I spent 1/2 of my 40 working years away from home so that I would have a secure retirement. I loved the job and it paid well, but it did leave my wife to handle some difficult situations by herself because I was away.
    The problem is, that for 30 years, I have had to fight cancer and other serious medical challenges that have, at times, robbed me of all my strength and endurance.
    My message in this, screw the money. Make the most of every day, there is no chance for a redo.
    Bob

Do it Over, Thor1, badvolvo and 14 others like this.
  20. Work work work work work work.
    And work.

21. 25 years in a steel mill(so far)as a maintenance millwright , construction millwright before that, hell I had a job grinding fiberglass for 40 hrs a week! I did side jobs on houses and cars until I got in the steel mill, the mill has been very steady and consistent with great wages and benefits, trouble is there is more and more overtime, so now I make more money than I ever thought I would but have very little time.

22. catdad49

catdad49

Scotty, at least you're warm in the winter! Spent 25 yrs. in a foundry and went out of the house today and that's exactly what it felt like. A little deja vu.

23. I spent some time outside today 94*, I’m working 6pm -10am tonight, should be warm! Lol

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Deuces like this.
  24. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I look like this at the end of every day.

[​IMG]

-Abone.

25. I assume in your last sentence that you mean that you have very little time. That is always the problem, we don't get the time back.
    Bob

26. It's a long story but I started making shift knobs from gemstones to fund my desire to purchase an old classic vehicle. (See my web store...... www.gemstoneshiftknobs.com) For my purposes of saving I put 100% of sales in the "car account" and don't hold out my expenses. This methodology allows me to buy high and sell low and still save like Scrooge McDuck because I'm making up for it by selling in quantity. :confused:
    One thing led to another and I now also deal in vintage shift knobs and accessories, and imaginating old stuff into new shift knobs. (No web site for that. You have to visit me at shows and meets.)

LSRU 2019.JPG

jazz1, Hombre, Pinstriper40 and 8 others like this.
  27. yes sir ,that’s what I meant to say, I omitted the word “little”.

28. From that, I guess a person would have to assume that you have one that is pretty enough to sell. :) Should it be said that you should use your asset wisely?
    Bob

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  29. A588534A-AB9F-44C7-8945-937A21585CD1.jpeg
    I don’t think I could sell this if I tried! The “asset” doesn’t look any better.