Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration HOW MANY CAUGHT THE OLD CAR BUG FROM AMT?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BuckeyeBuicks, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Deuces

Deuces

My first model kit I built in the Summer of 1971....:)
    These are back on the shelves again at your local hobby shop..
    Or, you can find them on ebay... SAM_8891.266144021_std.JPG

kb9jlo, enloe, lumpy 63 and 2 others like this.
  2. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I built models from the age 6 or 7 into my 20s. The thing that models did for me was they got me through my parents devorce at age 13. I had a library table in the basement and I would work on them from the time I got up on Saturday until I called it a day. They where my escape. I had a good relationship with the guy that owned the hobby shop at at 14 years old he let me charge an airbrush. I paid him for it and he displayed my builds and had me judge a pinewood derby at the school he was a principal at. From there it was a natural progression for me to go into bodywork and paint. The atension to quality and details I learned from building models set me up for life. The trust and friendship of an adult that believed in a kid building model cars was priceless.
    I never got into the glue or paint like some kids did I just like building cars.

kb9jlo, enloe, j-jock and 3 others like this.
  3. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Actually, it was Matchbox cars that first ignited the fire in me.Then models...after that it was Rod and Custom magazine,and eventually the guys in the rented garage across the alley putting Cadillac engines in Studebakers.

4. Constructionbob

Constructionbob

I live for this.. my 1st where an incomplete Olds Tornado found at a local skrapyard.
    1st bought 1/25 model is the one down in bottom at left.. rebuilt 2yrs ago for a 3 time.
    Then there have been a couple of hundred amt's.. now I would guess there is about 200
    objects in progress..
    [​IMG]

edcodesign, kb9jlo, echo ed and 8 others like this.
  5. 3340

Probably!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang and Deuces like this.
  6. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

Built many as a kid in thr '50's, and would buy certain kits just to get a specific part for another build. At one point I kept all my clothes in a pile on the floor, so I could line up all my models, safely in the drawers. Very understanding mother!

As they say, "I became interested in cars at a very early age, at the expense of normal social development".

7. I built a lot models as a kid. Unfortunately only a few have survived. I still have 100 + left in the basement unbuilt plus tons of extra parts. Thankfully my kids have an interest now, so its helping me become interested again. My dad built models back in the early 60's. Unfortunately none of his have survived.

8. I started in the early 50s, by building and flying control line planes. (the balsa wood kits). My interest in hot rods started in 1957, when I read my first of those small hot rod magazines in my favourite burger joint/news stand. I was hooked on day one, and never stopped thinking of, and working on, my cars.
    I didn't buy my first die cast car until I was 45, and it was to pull a joke on a friend. I called him one evening after returning home from a week at work, and told him that I had just purchased a Mercedes 300SL. He took the hook right through the cheek like a cod fish. He asked me, what in the hell would I want and expensive car like that for, how will I ever enjoy it, it will cost a ton to maintain it, etc. Then he asked the question I was waiting for, where will you keep it? At this point, I told him that it looks really good on the mantel. I often wonder if he has really forgiven me.
    It also proves the point that you can get a lot of enjoyment out of a model car. I have several now, such as two of a 55 Cameo, some corvettes, a Cobra, and other nice cars like the '62 Chev SS.
    Bob

9. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

I too have my models in IKEA cabinets:p

10. ZZLEGEND

ZZLEGEND

10 years old in 1956, and caught the Amt bug at an old hobby shop down the street on Venice Blvd. Bubble skirts, scallop decals, white walls, chromed glue on louvers, antennas, spot lights, whew,,,,,,,,,,,,those were the good days.

Deuces and enloe like this.
  11. Bill Nabors

Bill Nabors

AMT in the 50s. The 32 roadster set me on fire. I had built a lot of planes and military stuff, but when I got that 32 I was hooked. I had seen a 27 roadster hot rod on the street in Jackson, Mississippi and the owner let me look it over before it was gone. I still have twenty or thirty car models ready to build when my knees go. Now I build full size ones. I have been working on a 35 pickup, and have a real 32 waiting for me to finish.

j-jock and Deuces like this.
  12. I think I caught the old car bug before I built AMT model cars. Here is me on the right with a few cars and trucks.... Picture 1197.jpg

13. derbydad276

derbydad276

yeah... pretty much ... the Testors glue got me hooked ....
    Now when I smell Race Gas ...same thing

Ron Funkhouser, Deuces and loudbang like this.
  14. 1ton

1ton

loudbang, Deuces and enloe like this.
  15. rc57

rc57

j-jock, loudbang and Deuces like this.
  16. abc123

abc123

rc57, those are cool! Everybody, go click on his album link!
    I got started on AMT, too. A '59 Imperial in '59 or '60 when I was only about seven years old. I kept on building to the present and kinda skipped building 1:1 cars.

Deuces and s55mercury66 like this.
  17. loudbang

loudbang

Dam, none of mine EVER came out that good. If you didn't know they were models you might think a couple were real car shots.

Deuces and enloe like this.
  18. philo426

philo426

I dig models if all types! [​IMG]

edcodesign, kb9jlo, echo ed and 4 others like this.
  19. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

very cool

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  20. We had a bike shop up the block that had an amazing selection of models. Also detail parts... way too advanced for little kids. If they got to know us, they would sell us glue. $1.50 kits were $1.27, $2.00 kits were $1.77. They had the new line of AMT lacquers I guess around 1966 for $.69 a can. It sprayed well, most of my cars looked like the south end of a north-bound alligator for some reason.

21. rc57

rc57

Thank you for the kind words. There are many excellent builders on here that make my stuff look like garbage (they should chime in).
    I don't build box-stock anymore , there's a lot in each from the parts bin.
    My 1:1 is far from box stock, but that's also why it's not done or being driven.

loudbang, j-jock and Deuces like this.
  22. goldmountain

goldmountain

The AMT Trophy kits were listed for $1.49 in the ads for Auto World in Rod & Custom and Car Craft but here in the local stores in Canada, they cost $2.39 and for a 10 year old kid like me that was extortion!

loudbang and Deuces like this.
  23. Deuces

Deuces

Now days you pay around 30 bucks for a great kit... That's highway robbery!.... :(

lumpy 63, kb9jlo, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  24. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I agree, that's why I am always looking for built cars and parts at yard sales and flee markets.

kb9jlo, loudbang, caseywheels and 3 others like this.
  25. Dangerousdan

Dangerousdan
    from Arizona

AMT It was in my blood before the models were available. I remember my first AMT it just made my life better.

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  26. I won't say that I acquired my hot rod bug from AMT, but it did certainly feed my desire. My bug came naturally after I first saw my neighbor's 32 Ford highboy roadster back in 1959, after that....Hot Rod Magazines along with lots of time putting together dreams with model cars. I no longer have them, don't know where they went. Probably my mom got rid of them when I went overseas.

Deuces, loudbang and enloe like this.
  27. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Still playing! :D
    1387.jpeg

edcodesign, kb9jlo, Sancho and 3 others like this.
  28. topher5150

topher5150

Kind of started my collection over once I got married. My two favorites are the R/M big deuce 32 Ford roadster with Jag engine and suspension, and I wanted to make a 68 Shelby GT350 convertible like my dad's so I had to splice a convert to a fastback IMG_20190717_202605482.jpeg IMG_20190717_202550268.jpeg IMG_20190717_202539464.jpeg

Sent from my XT1710-02 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Deuces and edcodesign like this.
  29. Forever Blue

Forever Blue

Yes, it was AMT that got it going. 1934 Ford pickup model, I had a few cheap models before that, but now this was something far above them. Since then, a 34 Ford pickup was my dream build, guess what I've got stashed in a c-can. It'll be my next build

Lil32 and Deuces like this.
  30. SS327

SS327

Revell, Monogram, AMT, Johan and a few others I cant remember right now all played a part in every hotrodders life to some extent. Be it good or bad.

Denny

Lil32 and Deuces like this.