Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Do these people irritate you also?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by exterminator, Jul 20, 2019.

1. exterminator

exterminator

One of my pet peeves lately is when you have a car for sale especially on craigslist and they have a box that is checked for no solicitors to contact you and you get that call or text asking if you still have the car and it turns out it's one of them- does it bother you and what do you do? I text them back and tell them if they want to sell my car, buy it and sell it! Has anyone here had any dealings with these people and did it turn out good? I won't do it. Exterminator

Cosmo50 and LOU WELLS like this.
  2. dan31

dan31

Craig's list can be great and it can suck out loud. I'll reword that , it sucks as a seller. People call at 2 a.m ,people calling over and over asking all kinds of stupid ?, asking for more pics when you have tonnes of them and they only live 20 minutes away. Or the best ,waiting around on a Saturday morning for some yahoo that is 2 hours late ,says i'll be there in 10 and never shows?. My theory is that a lot of people use craig's list as a form of entertainment . Their not going to buy they just want to know they could and your time means nothing.

3. Craigslist blows chunks. I have never had any luck selling anything on it. I really hate dealing with all of the strokers and jeeters. I hope to never have to use it again.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

RRanchero Rick and Deuces like this.
  4. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Yup, same thing. When I sold my F1, dealers were calling from Nevada !!

5. It happens..they aren't concerned about hurting anyones feelings, they are just after the potential profit they could make using your product.
    Sure there are bad experiences with CL sellers/buyers, but I'm not ready to group them all altogether as worthless, dead beats, trying to take advantage of people.
    I've had many an encounter with good sellers, who were nice people, I've also had many a buyer thru CL that were genuine, and upstanding.
    Many times talking on the phone can sort out the less than honest people..another reason why I don't text.

Hombre and '51 Norm like this.
  6. CME1

CME1

I will have a car listed for sale on a site. I get a phone call , is your car still for sale? I reply, yes it is. The person tells me he or she is with a big time national selling site that has buyers waiting to buy my car. If I can get the person to shut up long enough so I can talk, I say to them, you send me a buyer and I will send you a finders fee. Most times they will hang up on me. Problem solved, until the next one calls!

48fordnut, LOU WELLS and VANDENPLAS like this.
  7. 55Belairman

55Belairman

I agree with you. My wife sometimes sells things on a Facebook garage sale group. I think there are people who have no intention of ever buying anything, that message back if the item is still available, and they will be there shortly. They never show up, nor do they respond to a message to them if they are still interested. It's hard to deal with people most of the time.

8. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I recently bought a van on Craigslist for the engine and trans. The van was 400 miles away and the seller held it for me based on the check I mailed him and replaced with cash when I picked it up. A good guy to deal with, even texted me to make sure I got home with no issues. There are good buyers and sellers on CL but there are also some real Adam Henry's. Already got one scammer in response to the van parts I have listed. You just have to take the good with the bad. IMHO.

Hombre, XXL__ and 48fordnut like this.
  9. We got kijij Up here, same thing as c/l
    I put my phone number in the add and ask to call
    Most times talking with people weed out the wanna bes and time wasters
    It’s a good site for buying and selling just need some patience with the idiots

Hombre and ramblin dan like this.
  10. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I have listed vehicles on C/L a few times and had a couple decent people buy the cars with no problems. But those were the only good things that C/L ever done for me. The rest were big talkers, BS'ers and just plain a PITA. I have had much better luck on facebook marketplace. There are still a lot of scum bags but I can usually tell the real buyers.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  11. catdad49

catdad49

When I list things, no emails, no phone calls, just texts. So far, it has eliminated the dealers and the "do you want to trade for my motorcycle" responses. I don't sell much, but it has reduced the "bs".

Hombre and VANDENPLAS like this.
  12. uncle buck

uncle buck

I just set the phone down and continue with what I was doing. I figure the longer I waste their time the less time they have to bother the next person . The other thing that annoys me is they lowball the price with a “cash” offer. I respond back with “I’m sorry, I don’t take VISA or checks”

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

clem and 03GMCSonoma like this.
  13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Had an ot car that has a great body and interior and actually runs but is one of "those" that has head gasket problems for sale and clearly stated that it had to be trailered away. Also stated that it was not registered. A bunch of messages and the local low ballers but no one showing up. It will probably go to the wrecking yard next week because I am tired of fooling with trying to sell it.
    I have sold parts on Craigslist and FB marketplace lately with no problems outside of a couple of lowball offers on some chrome headers that had never been mounted on a car.

14. squirrel

squirrel

it takes a little while to learn which replys to ads you need to ignore, but once you figure it out, you can easily ignore them.

Any text that asks about "your item" is a scam.

trollst, Frankie47, belair and 5 others like this.
  15. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

I too love what I like to call the " Kijidiots". I pity anyone trying to sell a car on any of these sights. I must admit I do buy from on line ads. The sellers I buy from usually ask me if I'm serious and if I'm even going to show up. I like to pride myself on the fact if I say I'm going to be there I show up and on the time agreed upon. It seems to be a universal problem.

16. Never had a problem with craigslist but I have never advertised with them, as a member of the Hamb I use the classifieds here and they get far more exposure, I have sold several cars to members in Japan, Sweden, Alabama, Texas, Minnesota and Cherokee,North Carolina and have done trades with members from Texas & Knoxville, Tennessee.

I have been a member of the Hamb since 2003 and joined the alliance as soon as it was formed in 2009 small price to pay for a site that entertains and has a classified section.

Another plus with advertising in the Hamb classifieds is you don't have the text and calls wanting to sell your car for you for a additional charge. HRP

steel3window, clem, XXL__ and 4 others like this.
  17. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

The last three vehicles I bought, including my '40 and a couple of OT late model pickups, I bought on craigslist.
    The last three vehicles I sold, I sold on craigslist. I sold each of them to the first person who showed up for full asking price, cash.
    I did have lots of dreamers calling and asking all kinds of questions and wanting more photos (such as close-up of each tire) but that goes with the territory.
    None of the buyers low-balled me or even negotiated. They just counted out the cash. I priced them at what I wanted to get and apparently they were also priced at what they wanted to pay.

47ragtop, catdad49 and Hombre like this.
  18. I run the same message on all my ads on our version of Craigslist (gumtree)- "Do not text or send emails as I do not have a mobile phone or computer, call the landline number, it's easy !" This lets me ignore the "Is this item still for sale?" messages (If it wasn't, would I be wasting my time still running the ad?) and the "how about I offer you $20 for the item you advertised for $100?" messages as well . If I am in the right mood I will reply with " how about you stick that $20 up your arse?". I don't sell much, but it's fun playing with the half-wits!

catdad49 and squirrel like this.
  19. Here’s the funniest thing...
    I’ll get all sorts of stupid messages to field.
    Answer a bunch of questions and sometimes feel like I’m waisting my time.

But 98% of the time the first one that actually shows up buys it.

20. So far I've had good luck with craigslist. Sold enough stuff to buy my running project car. Most showed up and gave my asking price. Did have a few that just seem to want a pen pal.

catdad49 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  21. I never list my phone number. I always use the craigslist email referral that way I can weed out the scammers and answer at my convenience not theirs. Sold a bunch of off topic cars there.

22. Are listings on Craigslist free? HRP

23. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

New form of “doorbell ditch”

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  24. Gman0046

Gman0046

My wife has used Craigslist and has done fairly well. I won't ever try to sell anything on there. Far too many Gomers. I don't need these people to know where I live.

Truckdoctor Andy and catdad49 like this.
  25. squirrel

squirrel

Listings on CL used to be free, but a few months ago they started charging $5 for cars for sale ads.

26. I have bought, sold and traded my last 5 vehicles through Craigslist. Like everyone says; just gotta weed out the scammers and bullshiters...

scrap metal 48 and catdad49 like this.
  27. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

my favorite Craigs list funny was the guy who called on a 72 Ford truck I was selling with no motor who asked me why it does not run, then got angry that I was selling a truck with no motor and out of date registration for $100.00. seemed peeved at me because he would not be able to register it.

all in all though Craigslist has been good to me. you just really need to ignore the stupid people.

28. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Craig's List!!!!! Think it's bad with cars/parts? In the last month, we've lost two of our four Chihuahua's to old age; one was my wife's pet, and she was heartbroken to say the least. So, I immediately started looking for a new puppy. LOTS of ads, but I don't "text" (what is wrong with actually talking with someone?), and ALL the ads began to show common themes. They all seemed to center around one city, although listed the dogs in another city (???). I figured just someone yanking everyone's chain, or kids causing trouble with the emotions of pets lovers/owners. I gave up with CL, and just went online. We found a new little companion for my wife, almost at our State's southernmost border; nine hours on the road there and back. Long drive, but my wife is now out of her heartbroken/depressive situation. I even sent CL an e-mail detailing this activity; heard nothing back either. There's a reason they're called, "Craig's List Freaks", up here. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    VANDENPLAS and catdad49 like this.
  29. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

here's a thought about keeping no shows from happening. if you are selling a 67 442 covered in surface rust do not describe it as original paint and forget to mention the rust. this was an ad with no photo from the newspaper.. saw the car in the driveway and just went back home.

another guy selling a late model truck when I was looking for a late model truck described it as super clean and the price was firm because it was so clean. drove up to the house and there it was... looked like it belonged to a sloppy painter or some sort of contractor as it was all scratched up and paint all over it... just drove on by and went back home.

these lying fucks did not deserve to be told I was not interested.