Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Old Rust Doctor separated and soldified, how to loosen up?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by yeahRight, Jul 19, 2019.

Tags:
  1. yeahRight

yeahRight

I've got a jug of Rust Doctor that's probably 6 or 7 years old, went to use it today for some rust spots on a hood before I put sealer on the bare metal. The white component is separated out and pretty hard and no amount of shaking encouraged it to loosen up. I tried putting it on my pneumatic paint shaker but the jug won't fit and leaks the other golden brown thin ingredient from the lid when on its side.

I was wondering if I put it in hot water that might encourage it to loosen, anyone got any ideas, been there done that? Is there something I could pour into the jug to encourage it to blend?

Being a cheapskate but wanted to see if I could use it instead of tossing it out

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I would toss that stuff and remove the rust one way or another

Hnstray and Oldioron like this.
  3. I would try stirring it with a stick or one of those Made For The Job propeller looking deals with a high torque hand drill.
    If that doesn't work, then throw it out. It's toast.

4. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

It's 6 or 7 years past it's "use by date". Time to get some new stuff or another plan of attack. I've NEVER had any luck trying to "save" something along those lines; paint, encapsulators, or anything else in a jar, jug, or can. I am Butch/56sedasndelivery.

5. your screen name says it all....Now throw the old shit away,you cheap bastard..,of course you knew this to start with...Yeah Right!!!!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. If you’re that cheap don’t build a car

belair, Hnstray and VANDENPLAS like this.
  7. boring-hop-yard

boring-hop-yard

Penny wise Pound foolish!

8. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Go ahead any waste your time, get it half assed mixed up and use it on your car. Then prime, paint and let the outdated junk stuff F up your job. Then sand it all off and start spending more dollars to fix it. Happy now?:p

9. What makes you think he’d fix it?

10. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

The water evaporated in it causing it to gel and separate. And some water, stir it, and then throw it away. As Remo would say ' why take a chance'?

11. I was thinking if he added about a gallon of gasoline and put it in the microwave for an hour that ought to do it.

Pats55, Hnstray and kidcampbell71 like this.
  12. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

That would cure his rust problem

13. Most of us know exactly how to cure the rusty hood problem,,,,

How do you rejuvenate a 7 year old product that’s deprecated, separated and solidified? That’s the actual question being asked here...
    Man I miss the old Hamb!

14. yeahRight

yeahRight

I called Rust Doctor, very helpful guy there said it was unusual for it to get that separated, he said it should be ok still but use it in places you aren't going to see it rather than under paint etc at that age. I did test it on some metal and it turned black so I'm going to put a drill powered mixing blade in it and just use what's left under cars. Hopefully this is of use for anyone searching on this, some of the responses here are pretty lame...
    I know 'exactly how to cure the rusty hood problem' I was asking for advice on Rust Doctor not for some lame bullshit about gasoline and microwaves.

15. yeahRight

yeahRight

Also don't let it freeze, renders it useless