Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Deuce Days, Canadian Hospitality???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by billthx138, Jul 19, 2019.

1. billthx138

billthx138

Wow! Can't ask for better weather up here in Victoria this weekend for Deuce Days. However, the drug cartels must be known for smuggling in six figure hotrods, because Canadian customs were pulling some of the most incredibly built hotrods out of line for full searches including pulling everything out of the trunks and going through luggage at the port of entry. Then to add insult to injury, the Mayor is miffed at the cars parked in front of the host hotel and has had flyers left on them saying that the Victoria Police will be towing if not moved immediately. Huh, guess times are good and the city doesn't need the increased revenue that an event like this brings. On a better note, the cars are awesome!!!

Lil32 and loudbang like this.
  2. no pics, didn't happen

loudbang and Kiwi 4d like this.
  3. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is just a tease thread, we need pics please.

loudbang likes this.
  4. I haven't been in Victoria for a few years, but they (those from Victoria, including the police force) were pretty laid back back then. Maybe things have changed. Too bad, it's always good to treat your guests well.

Maybe more going on than what can be understood by those not in the know. Anyway, I hope those that have had their week disturbed by whatever is happening don't let it ruin an otherwise good event.

loudbang likes this.

5. tombstone

tombstone
    from sk.canada

Well always two sides to a coin .... I’m not there , was in 2016 enjoyed it ‼️ And when you have a bunch of horses there is always a horses ass .....

6. Eh-Bone

Eh-Bone

Hope that when it swiches over to the “non canadian” version your president doesn’t have ALL the borders closed
    eh!

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I took aound 500 photos today with a lot of them being in the area of the host hotel. I don't think you will see a parking notice on any of them. If anyone got a notice about parking it was the power parker mid 60's burbs from Texas and Alabama and reasonably obvously out of the same Alabama shop. Neither car is legit to register at the event as the cut off is 51 or maybe you hobnob with the right guys putting on the event. There were a few other rigs sitting in the same spots all day as evident in a lot of different guys photos taken at different times. It was hard for some of the guys coming off the ferry to find a spot to pull in to register due to the power parkers.
    Can't say on the customs thing. Maybe they didn't give quick enough answers when they pulled up to the customs dude. We had a couple of motor homes and pickup campers ahead of us yesterday at Sidney that seemed to get questioned a bit longer than most but most of the rods didn't take more than the minimum time. They aren't always looking for drugs either, could be looking for high end parts being taken in to someone without paying the duty on them.

Special Ed, woodz, Texas Webb and 5 others like this.
  8. linechaser32

linechaser32
    from Iowa

I was chosen to be searched. No pictures, but it did happen. They wouldn’t let me take pics. I might add that we were treated very well and the people in Victoria are very gracious. Couldn’t ask for better. The border guards were just doing their job.

9. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Of course no weapons, eg guns, are allowed in so you never know. Even "canabis" isn't allowed in even though it is legal in Wa state and Canada. Aroma???

Blue One and loudbang like this.
  10. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

It does not matter which side of the border a car is going through the checkpoint. There is always some person with something going on in their lives, to get irritated enough to pull a car over. Normally, they look and wave people through the checkpoint, either way. Our incident was great, going to Canada.

But, coming back through into Washington a week later, our “newish” car on its maiden voyage, was pulled over and told to drive up to the official “thorough check point inspection” area near the office. It must have been the “what the $%#&” look on our friendly faces.

We were led into the office and the guy behind the counter looked at us and wanted to know why we were there. (Well, we were told in a mean voice, to go in the office for more inspection stations.) When we explained why, the guy laughed and said that “she”(out on the incoming checkpoint) was having a bad day and they (inspectors) all stayed away from her since early that morning. Then he laughed, looked at our registration and waved us a good trip home to So Cal. But, the friendly, senior agent in charge, apologized and told us to come visit Canada, again.

Jnaki

As we were getting back in our car, there was one more family and another couple getting out of their cars, to go to the office for more scrutiny. Ha! The U.S. Border Patrol agents with too much power to waste, affects the common traveler’s time and energy. Plus, they did not get to see the suitcase full of MJ in our trunk…Ha, JUST KIDDING.

Texas Webb and brad2v like this.
  11. uncle buck

uncle buck

On our trip the Canadian customs officers were focused on searching vehicles occupied by someone with a concealed carry permit. They were even questioning us on whether or not and what type of guns we had guns at home. The officers on both sides of the border are just doing their job. The easier you make their job the better your experience will usually be. Answer the questions directly, don’t joke around, and if possible roll all your windows down for them. Of course if you are doing something illegal, disregard my advice

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

wackdaddy, Special Ed, woodz and 3 others like this.
  12. redo32

redo32

That's interesting. The wife and I both have concealed permits (of course we left the guns home) and we sailed through customs. They were checking license numbers and at home it comes up that we have permits. Don't know if it cross checks wih your passport.

loudbang likes this.
  13. We have been searched going into the States, had to exit the car with our dog while they ran their dog. It is just part of the procedure, don't take offence. Like its been said before, they are just doing their job. I did feel bad for the dog though.we have a baggie of treats in the open console and he was not allowed to have one, that we know of.

j3harleys likes this.
  14. alchemy

alchemy

Well, you are a rather suspicious looking character.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  15. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

The mayor of Victoria is a bitch.
    She has no authority to have anyone towed from the Empress Hotel lawn.
    She wants more bicycle lanes and will be closing Government St. to traffic soon.
    I moved away from Victoria years ago.

uncle buck, loudbang and lurker mick like this.
  16. linechaser32

linechaser32
    from Iowa

You should see me try to get through airport security.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  17. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Probably the California license plate. ;)

jnaki likes this.
  18. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Why would Canada have access to US gun permit holders records?
    The last time I went to Canada about 10 years ago in my BMW. The border patrol guy asks were I was going and I almost said Canada but decided to give him a little credit and said Vancouver. The usual 20 questions until he asked if I every had a gun in the car and I said no, it was a new car and I hadn't yet. I was told to pull over to the inspection area and parked next to a lineup of about 10 BMW's. After about twenty minutes, a guy comes over to inspect my car and I ask if it's BMW day? He dryly relies "just a coincidence " and proceeds to tear my trunk completely apart ( without even looking inside the car ) and just leaves everything on the ground and walks away and says I'm free to go.

loudbang and warbird1 like this.
  19. Sounds like some of the brain donors down here.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    uncle buck likes this.
  20. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Must have be an Audi guy!

21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think if you read the laws you can't legally take legal store bot pot between Washington, Oregon and or California even though it is legal in all three. Oregon has a law that says you can't take pot bought there out of the state. Probably in deference to Idaho, so Oregon can tell Idaho that "we said it isn't legal to take it out of the state" so as not to be accused of trying to flood the other state with pot.
    Still I'm with Line chaser 32 and it may be luck of the draw or the customs dudes may decide that those guys in those "little hot rods" don't have a lot of stuff in the car to go though like those guy with 4 kids and a dog and three kayaks on top..

22. Boarder police or state troopers can & do stop people and search if they think you look suspicious.

In 1969 we were driving home for spring break and a South Carolina state trooper pulled us over, we had just left Midland Tech and had our bags & tools loaded up in a 1966 fastback mustang when we saw the troopers lights behind us. we were pulled over on I-85 and another trooper showed up as were were being patted down.

I ask what we did and he said they were looking for drugs and they were looking for a fastback mustang and two long haired hippies, we protested but it fell on deaf ears, they proceeded to tear the car apart,everything in the car was dumped on the side of the road, they spent about a hour screwing with us and after they didn't find anything they said you are free to go, I believe they were hoping we were drug dealers but they were disappointed we were just students on our way home.

What happened to us is now called profiling. HRP

23. I think we need to remember that despite most of us get mildly offended over getting searched because we are not hiding anything, they see thousands of people a day who look like everyone else but are hiding something, your attitude while they are talking to you generally determines the outcome.

Oh and Victoria is arguable the most beautiful city in Canada so enjoy it while you are there!!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

wackdaddy, Old-Soul, Blue One and 4 others like this.
  24. RmK57

RmK57

If your willing to wait in a lineup and like Italian food I recommend this place. Good prices and great food. https://www.pagliaccis.ca/

I had to cross the border into Blaine to pick up a package on Thursday and the lineup I was in was incredibly slow. As I got closer I could see every 3rd to 4th car was getting the dreaded yellow sticker on the windshield to go into secondary. The border guard(s) are probably still trying to recover after having the government shut down for 2 months.

25. I would just like to thank everyone that was involved in hosting this event, and would like to thank the participants as well. I just got home after three days at Deuce Days. I did not see a single parking notice; and I spoke to uniformed Victoria police officer on site, and he said that during the morning meeting they were told not to hassle anyone, and unless there is something drastic going on leave everyone alone and let them enjoy themselves. Thanks again everyone!

alchemy, Texas Webb, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  26. uncle buck

uncle buck

I believe that the USA and Canada share information. Unfortunately , in my 35 years of crossing back and forth I have never seen either country reassemble a vehicle that they took apart

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

brad2v and Speedy Canuck like this.
  27. If you'd given him a simple answer (No), you would have most likely been waived through. 'Smart answers' always result in being searched.

28. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mrs. Bandit and I went to Whistler/Blackcomb for a little skiing a couple of year back and I like to grab a box of Romeo and Juliettas when I'm up there since the Cuban cigars rolled on the thigh of a 16 year old virgin are still illegal in the US.

Anyhow, we are in line to get back across the border and there are cars being torn apart, back seats out, luggage being rifled, drivers and occupants detained in a little waiting area watching, etc. Wifey gets super paranoid about the box of contraband in the back and gets out of the car and throws them in the trash!

Happy wife, happy life my ass! I wanted my smokes! We get up the head of the line and the US Immigration Officer just smiled and waived us through. I shot her some icy glares and needless to say it was a long quiet ride home. We still speak occasionally of the Great Cigar Smuggling Caper, as it became known.

brad2v and Stllrng. like this.
  29. PoTaToTrUcK

PoTaToTrUcK

How about the thousands that lined the Poker Run on Saturday morning to welcome us. Full marks for the City of Langford.

Stllrng. likes this.
  30. goldmountain

goldmountain

I could never figure out how the illegal orange that I tried to bring across the border into Montana could adversely affect the citrus crop in California.

GordonC likes this.