Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Anyone had issues with Posies Model A style rear springs?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tman, Aug 30, 2015.

1. jose gonzalez

jose gonzalez

i just bought springs and shackles from them and i didn't notice much of a drop on my
    36 ford very disappointed. after reading all the comments i wish i can return them and just
    use my own and have them de arc and reverse the eye. oh well money wasted on professional parts maker. i have to measure the rear now that i think about it it looks like it leans one way

olscrounger likes this.
  2. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Wish quality control would 'spring' back to life...

3. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Put a taller tire on one side or the other, problem solved. :D:D:D

kidcampbell71 and 60 Special like this.
  4. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

You got me thinking, so I went over to the garage that I'm assembling my '29 Model A in. I placed the original rear spring on a big piece of cardboard and traced it. When I flipped it over the tracing was right on. Remember, Ford was very demanding and had all the money in the world to make things perfect. Eaton might be the way to go as Tman suggests.

5. crossthread

crossthread

Answer to op's question about posie's model A spring. First one was about 1 1/4 inch off, returned on my pension check account. Second one was wobbledicked with hammer marks. Reworked old one,with lots of time on my hands I should have done that to start with.

6. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

I think it's one thing to have to trim or fudge or whatever to make a part fit. We're used to that. I think it's something else when a part is just poorly made. That doesn't make sense to me. And to just blow off the complaint makes me wonder if something else is going on.

7. 54BOMB

54BOMB

The spring I put in the front of a 38 ford dropped a lot after a short amount of driving.
    Also, my Model A sits to one side just a little and I couldn’t figure it out , I bet this thread explains it .

2FORCEFULL likes this.
  8. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Used a Posies rear spring on my A 12 years ago worked fine. A friend bought one 5 years ago , leaned 1 1/2" to the left.

9. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Well this post is 5 years old maybe someone’s been trained or fired since lol. Fuckin zombie threads

Tman and 6inarow like this.
  10. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

lot of new hits for an old thread....

11. 31 Chopped Coupe

31 Chopped Coupe

I bought a Posie's super slide rear spring for my 31 coupe about a year ago through Speedway, it is a reverse eyed one for the 46 1/2" spring perch centers. Unfortunately it too has a 1 1 /2" lean to the left and it didn't drop the ass end of the car any noticeable amount. It's getting pretty old hearing " Wow is your car leaning to the left a little bit?" I think I will try tracing it on the floor of my shop this winter and see it is lopsided also.

2FORCEFULL likes this.
  12. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I've done quite a few customer chassis with Posie rear springs and have good and bad results. The A spring I originally installed under my deuce pu just plain settled out so much the shackles were pointing out 45 degrees instead of in 45. Posie replaced it and the new one works fine except the bends on the main leaf don't match. On some chassis I built using their 40 style rear spring we've had to use a pinion wedge under one side between the spring plate and spring to get the car to sit level. I know my rear cross member is installed straight. Easy to do but frustrating when it happens. Usually it only takes a few degrees of pinion wedge to correct the problem.

13. jose gonzalez

jose gonzalez

i went back and noticed that my car leans one side more than the other. i removed the front spring because it lowered the front way to much. the rear i left in but i might just de arc my stock and do a reverse eye. i hate buying product that fails

14. rlsteel

rlsteel

I bought a front spring from them, they would not believe the length I gave them for my 47 coupe, so the main leaf was wrong. go figure. never again. RLS

15. 51box

51box
    from MA

I bought a posies super low R&T front spring for my model A after finding some cracks on the original spring I had planned to use. Two of the leafs have a front to back bow to them and the car sat crooked so I had to reshape one side in the press so the car would sit level. Way to expensive for those issues and when I called he said “I’ve never heard of that being a problem before” bullshit.

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, problem is ongoing, so it is still relavent, for the purposes of both warning, and illustration of historical poor quality control.

Is that something we should leave buried?

HemiDeuce likes this.
  17. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

No, I suppose If it’s s still happening with new springs it is still relevant.

I know I’ll be checking mine now

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
  18. GeeRam

GeeRam

Indeed.

The company building the chassis of my 32 here in UK had used Posie's springs for years, but constant problems with customers cars, in recent years with early sagging and other issues mentioned in this thread have seen them switch to another supplier last year.

19. gimpyshotrods likes this.
  20. redoxide

redoxide

Pretty much standard for most reproduction parts, I got fed up buying parts in good faith to move on with projects only to find the part is substandard, wont fit or otherwise unfit for purpose . Its the corporate case of buy cheap and sell expensive.. Unfortunately , some folks are also guilty of shifting the junk side-wards, but often at a reduced cost making it worth the punt and a little tweaking in some cases, but more recently I have found the parts are trash and so started raiding my reserves of original old Ford scrap .. Even though this stuff is ancient, its better quality than the new stuff .. just takes time to fettle it but not a problem if you dont mind getting your hands dirty.

Aside from springs, Perch pins made of cheese, and a host of other dodgy fodder, my most recent piece of expensive scrap was a Flathead starter motor with the "new improved bendix" Turns out despite its improved design they forgot to mention it doesnt fit in the space Ford allowed between the ring gear and the bellhousing... .. Fortunately the "new" bendix can be replaced with the old style but the point is why bother selling this stuff when it doest do what it says on the tin..

Im having a lot more fun building my current car from cast off old Ford "scrap" !

21. 2FORCEFULL

2FORCEFULL

thanks for this thread... I installed a possie reverse on my model A front.... the rears are back order... when I put the front in.. the axel was to the right-side and also picked up about a 1'' or so lean... I still had the 600 16s on the wider 35 wheels , so it was causing a tire rub issue.. never thought to check the spring first, I just installed it...back in the day when i owned las vegas street rods, we used to build T ,A and 32 chassis .... had a good sping guy in vegas... but i would lay the spring on the ground and chalk a line on it and flip it over to check "BEFORE" installing it... not doing that is gonna cause me to start over.., as for the rear.... I just bent the rear main... and was gonna get the rear from posies... my problem is the car was bought for use as a havasu bar hopper... my friends and myself are not on the thin side and going the T rear spring I was afraid of the rear clapping out when my fat boy buddies loaded up...
    probley gonna put sumo's on the rear , good to know to not waist time and money ordering a spring from poises that I'll have to re work to make work...