Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 41 ford pickup aluminum radiator

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustedorrotting, Jul 19, 2019.

1. my original radiator is in bad shape and i was wondering if anyone has tried the new aluminum radiators in their ride

2. alchemy

alchemy

You are new here right? There are a million posts about aluminum radiators. The guys who buy them wonder why they won’t cool their cars, and everyone else says they should have bought a Walker.

3. .................Four posts in six years. He's just the quiet type.:D;)

4. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

I've used two Champion radiators in the past with no problems. I'm getting ready to install another and don't foresee any problems with it either. Many of the problems with some brands come from intrusion of epoxy into the tubes blocking or partially blocking them of coolant flow. Champion doesn't use epoxy, they are welded. One thing to add, it's a good idea to use a sacrificial anode to help prevent electrolysis of the aluminum.

firstinsteele likes this.

5. The main thing is to have enough radiator for the engine.

Ben

6. Casey Riley

Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

Don't buy one for a '51 Mercury. The top tank is offset the wrong way and leaves a huge gap. Let's a lot air escape over the tank instead of going thru the core (low speed/traffic issue). I talked to the owner of Champion told me they won't change the design.

7. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm running a Brassworks in my '39 with an 8ba. Not cheap but does the job. Another thought is to see about having your original recored if the tanks are good. It will cost more than an aluminum radiator but will be cheaper than a new one from Brassworks. FWIW Brassworks is an Alliance Vendor and offers a discount to Alliance members.

8. 40 Fords are notorious for being hard to cool, when Henry built these cars & trucks he used copper & brass, I have used aluminum radiators with mixed results, I have never experienced any problems with the Walker radiators, they are expensive but if you plan on keeping the car they pay off in the long run.

The Walker Radiator in my '32 sedan is 31 years old and if I ever have a leak any radiator shop can fix it, not necessarily so if you spring a leak in a aluminum radiator in a small town on the edge of the twilight zone. HRP

olscrounger likes this.
  9. Gman0046

Gman0046

Why would you be buying an aluminum radiator (most probably from China made by small children) when copper/brass radiators have a greater cooling coeficcient then aluminum.

How much quality do you expect to get from a Chinese $150.00 radiator?

10. Buy cheap/// get heat .

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  11. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

I cut the back about six inches out of both splash pans in my 41. Made a big difference to be able to evacuate some of the heat without hood louvers.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app