Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical painting 16" ford wheels and mounting bias plys

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by revkev6, Jul 18, 2019.

1. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

hey guys, just got my wheels back from the blaster and was wondering what your procedure is for getting them painted and mounted?? was just going to spray them with some rustoleum black and hand mount up the used set of bias plys I picked up. the set of tires that I peeled off were really old and hard but I don't want to mess up freshly painted wheels.

any tricks you have for the process??

2. Its been said use garbage bag to protect the rims and make the tires slip better? Ive never tried it.

Oldioron likes this.
  3. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Mount tires. Do not inflate. Mask tires. Paint rims. Inflate tires = no paint marks.

4. rule of the day: always lubricate.

clem, Truckdoctor Andy and MO54Frank like this.

5. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

these are really my two options I guess. should I paint the back side and inside of the wheel, mount tire then paint the front or paint it complete and try for a smooth mounting process? I don't see how I could mount even a bias ply without a set of spoons used.

6. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

I mount the tires, then before inflating them completely, mask them, then paint. Leaving the tires slightly deflated, I wedge playing cards between the rim and tire to keep paint off the tire near the edge of the rim. No muss no fuss.
    Learned that one from the HAMB:cool:

Deuces and MO54Frank like this.
  7. LongT

LongT

I know this will vary but how much was the sand blasting?

8. squirrel

squirrel

Paint the wheels. Let them dry. Mount the tires.

Or did this somehow turn into rocket surgery, and no one told me?

9. Everything is rocket surgery these days.

King ford, low down A and el Scotto like this.
  10. Paint the wheels first. Bare steel will rust even inside the tire. And you dont want that especially if your using tubes.

Paint the wheels with decent t paint not rustoleum. Let the paint get good and hard, once dry, lay a packing blanking on the floor and mount the tires. Lube the tires with a liberal amount of dish soap to help them slip on. Done this a ton of times over the years. Works like a charm. Just did these last week.

20190709_210517.jpg 20190704_143204.jpg 20190709_210523.jpg

Deuces, 51box, 100% Matt and 3 others like this.
  11. A Boner

A Boner

Traditional way.
    Mount tires.
    Spray paint wheels.
    Use lacquer thinner to wipe overspray off of the tires.

RICH B and Texas Webb like this.
  12. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Muhahahahahaha!!!! I love it!! :D

Joemama likes this.
  13. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

An old driller once told me you can never get the job done ifin you gots a dry hole .

King ford likes this.
  14. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

If you live by a Les Swab tire store, they will sandblast and powder coat your wheels for about $18.00 each.

LongT likes this.
  15. southcross2631

southcross2631

I was having a truck done by dustless blasting. While he was there he did 4 rims for me for $ 25.00.
    Looked like new when they were done and he added rust preventative to the water and I waited a month to paint them down in Florida and they did not flash rust.
    I use urethane primer and then single stage paint to do my steelies. 0520131953a.jpg

Deuces and Atwater Mike like this.

16. THIS^ I would like to see before I become a believer.............

Atwater Mike likes this.
  17. What Squirrel said...This is how I have always done it with success. I do typically just push the tires on without a machine to make sure I don’t scratch them if possible. But, I am also using urethane paint too, not spray paint.

18. squirrel

squirrel

I don't worry about scratching the paint on mine...I guess I need to step up my game

19. Gastrap

Gastrap
    from Tama, Iowa

I used Rustoleum tractor and implement paint over red primer on my 16's, and machine mounted a week later without any bad nicks. I'm not sure I could have gotten it done by hand without damage.
    I used an old front hub to make a spinning fixture for painting.
    The Silvertown radials on my truck just shoved right on by hand without tools, but these Coker bias plies were pretty stiff!
    On tractor restorations I've always deflated and masked as suggested earlier.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    Deuces likes this.
  20. 97

21. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

this isn't a "nice" show car... i've got one of those already.... I'm planning to make this one something I can just touch up etc. so I guess I'm not super worried about chips and scratches, but if I'm painting something I want the best result and process if you know what I mean. I have used rustoleum in the past on a honda minitrail frame and it came out really good and durable. used acetone and the valspar hardener and sprayed it with an HVLP gun. that was my plan for the wheels. the red/brown rusty metal primer and the black rustoleum. the tires are a used set of bfg whitewalls I picked up from a swap meet. 600 and 750 for 150.

going by how you guys have done it I guess I will try fully painting them and give it some time then lube them up and mount em by hand. if all else fails I will touch them up afterwards.

one other question! are you guys mounting from the back side of the wheel??

22. squirrel

squirrel

depends on the shape of the drop in the wheel. It's usually easier to mount from the side that has the closest, "full" drop.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  23. TERPU

TERPU

Paint or powder coat the wheels. Let the paint dry, all the way dry like a week in the sun dry. If you are using old tires make sure you clean the insides really well. No trash at all and when you get to the little nitty gritty stuff in the bottom use tape wrapped around your hand so the sticky is on the outside and go all the way around the tire to make sure it's clean.

Then lay a blanket or a really thick towel on the grass outside. Use dish soap (I like Green Dawn) and lube the bead of the tire. You use dish soap because it washes right off and your gonna wash them anyways after you do this. That oily stuff leaves marks sometimes.

Lay your rim on the blanket face side down. You do this so you load the tire from the rear and you won't have any scratches on the face side. Install the tire on the rim (outside bead) side, install the tube without the valve in it and blow it up to make sure it isn't kinked then let all the air out. Install the backside bead of the tire being very careful not to pinch the tube with your irons.

Inflate, go get 'em balanced, and enjoy.

Then put your caps and rings on them and scratch the shit out of 'em so you can never run without them again.

- Tim

Deuces, arthurC3, Terrible80 and 3 others like this.
  24. 100% Matt

100% Matt

Love the color! Whats the name of it?

Deuces likes this.
  25. sunbeam

sunbeam

How are you mounting tires by hand or machine?

26. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

What he said :)

27. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

I do this all the time. Powdercoat them and mount them 10 minutes later. Never an issue on my tire machine. If you spend the money to blast, dont use a spray can for paint.

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

INVISIBLEKID likes this.
  28. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

Well, managed to get up early enough to get them in primer before it hit 90... by like 5 minutes... 630 wakeup... prep prime, cleanup and load the boat for the lake... 46408.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Deuces and tb33anda3rd like this.
  29. I simply used a old hub and spindle mounted on a steel pipe and it was welded to a piece of scrap steel, that way I could spin the wheel while painting it.

I let someone that had a machine mount the tires which did not scratch the paint. HRP

[​IMG]

Deuces likes this.
  30. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

There is a primer when scratched the rust will not travel beyond he scratch.