Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Heard of this but just saw it for the 1st time

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by blazedogs, Jul 18, 2019.

1. blazedogs

blazedogs

Maybe I just don't get out enough,never een this. Instead of painting a car one can have it vinyl coated in a color of your choice which (almost)looks like a new paint job.The car is stripped of all paint and color vinyl is adhered to the car,set in the sun, and it smooth ens right out
    Was at my buddies sta and he had his 70',s Corvette sitting out in front coated with metallic purple vinyl,was just finished &it looked great.Is this a new procedure? gene

2. NAES

NAES

The go fast kids in the import scene have been "dipping" their cars for a while with Plasti-dip sprayed over the existing paint for a semi durable, easily repairable color change. When they're tired of the look or it fades, they peel it off.

Sounds similar to what you're describing.

Sent from my SM-N910V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

patmanta and loudbang like this.
  3. Penetrator

Penetrator
    from SK CAN

Search "vinyl wrap". Popular on fleet vehicles, race cars, etc., etc., etc.

loudbang, Hnstray and clem like this.
  4. Terrible80

Terrible80

Hnstray likes this.

5. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

I don't think you have to strip the paint off, you can go right over it. I have seen a few and it looks good and if you get tired of the color you can rewrap it.

loudbang and Hnstray like this.
  6. Hombre

Hombre
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have seen quite a few cars that were wrapped. Never ever heard of stripping one first. That is one of the advantages of the vinyl wrap is it goes right over the existing surface. If you stripped the car you would be adding a hell of a lot of labor cost, and then you would have to spray on some kind of a sealer to protect the metal or it is going to rust pretty fast underneath the wrap, pretty sure you wouldn't want that to happen.

In my opinion the wrap looks just like that a wrap. never a completely smooth surface like we are used to with paint. Also if you check into cost it is no longer a cheap thing.

7. squirrel

squirrel

They look real nice after a few summers in Arizona, it bakes pretty good

8. There are quite a few wrapped cars floating around here, mostly higher-end Exotics. Never heard of stripping the paint off first. Simply goes over your existing paint job, typically to change the color. Done well it really looks good. Definitely not saving money over a traditional paint job though.

9. GuyW

GuyW

2 different subjects being discussed here: wrapping a car, and painting it with a flexible, easily removable film.

10. Vinyl wrap is cheap and easy works really well.

The plastidip paint goes right over your existing paint no sanding or stripping
    Easily removed without damage to your existing paint.

I asked this question a year ago and got flamed and the tread closed.
    Happy to see the Hamb evolving a bit.

Vinyl is a cheap way to experiment with paint colours without the cost of expensive paint
    Run around with what ever colours you choose for a year or three
    Then peel it off and try another !

11. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I get one of the trade magazines devoted to the “wrap” industry and it seems to be getting bigger every month. A lot of potential even if it isn’t “traditional”.

12. A fellow club member did a vinyl wrap on a car he built, he made a square tube frame, made it rear wheel drive designed a front suspension and installed a 351 and a 5 speed transmission, it kinda resembles a Ford probe, ugly as a dogs butt but it's fast and whoever did the wrap knocked it out of the park, it looks like paint. HRP

ffr1222k likes this.
  13. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think all the passenger buses with the huge realistic-looking ads are the plastic wrap.
    Possibilities are endless.
    Still... nothing like real paint.

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. When I bought my Mainline, one of the POs had done the dip all over it. The problem was that by the time I got it, it was over 4 years old and flaking and peeling everywhere. They say to do like 6 coats but I looked at the receipts and there's no way this guy did more than 2. 6 coats peels off in a sheet. 2 is like trying to pull one of those tow warning stickers off your car... Slow, painful and nasty.

They sell something called dip desolver to take it off but it's basically concentrated goo gone. I went at it with 2 bottles of pro strength goo gone, a plastic putty knife, and a roll of shop towels and got it all off in my spare time over a few weeks. Nasty work.

My advice is, the stuff looks pretty good but the key word is "temporary" so put it on thick and take it off after 3 years. Otherwise, it's a nightmare.

Looks like this when it's peeling:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

patmanta likes this.
  15. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I’ve always wondered what kind of mess you’d have on the original paint when you pulled that vinyl wrap stuff off. Bet it would take some serious cleaning to get the glue residue off.

clem likes this.
  16. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I know the NASCAR guy's use wraps because it is much faster to do then a traditional paint job and a wrap on a car weights less then if you were to paint a car by a few pounds!
    It's also one way to get your foot in the door with a team if you know how to apply wraps and better yet is knowing how to use a graphic program to design and create the wraps.

Not sure how many teams have full time crew members who can do the quick repairs after you scrap the wall and take the sponsors name off the side of the car.
    Every form of racing uses vinyl wraps and it sure helps when you land a New Sponsor to be able to change the look of the whole car within a few hours.

Jimbo

loudbang likes this.
  17. clem

clem

So is the rust from condensation under the wrap, or was it there previously and wrapped to hide the rust ?

18. My guess is the latter. It looks like the wrap didn't stick well to the rust and that's where it started to bubble and peel first.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

19. I saw something recently that was so ugly it would scare a hungry dog off a meat truck.... vinyl wrapped fake surface rust on a late model van.

20. I looked into the wrap for an off topic car recently and it was $2,00-$3,000 for a full size car Not as cheap as I thought it would be. I don't know what the DIP costs, but I did watch a few YouTube videos on it being done.

21. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

22. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I was going to use this stuff on the bed sides on an OT truck a while back and did some research. There are a bunch of Plasti-Dip type products out there now. Yes, the key is to layer it on and make it thick enough to peel off. I've seen kids that were too cheap to buy a case of the stuff put it on thin and then have a hell of a time peeling it off when it started going to hell a week later (didn't listen to me). As far as caring for it when it gets weak or dry, they say adding another couple coats on top is actually the way to go. That apparently rejuvenates the undercoats to an extent and will either give you more life or an easier membrane to pull off.

I see it used a lot to black out chrome emblems too.

23. patterg2003

patterg2003

My son is a graphic designer who was doing wraps for track race cars years ago. His company printed all the ads etc on the vinyl and at the the 20 ft mark looks like a cool paint job. The artistry is digitally driven and can look amazing to rival that of a custom paint. Nice thing is if a side or fender needs to be replaced then they do a quick reprint of the area so it is relatively inexpensive compared to a manual repaint. Wraps have seams and joints even on the widest wraps.
    One really cool thing is that my son has a friend that applies the invisible mylar on the front of vehicles for bug & stone protection. He took his new truck to his friend and had the front of his truck wrapped with the invisible wrap. The truck is a deep green and the edges of the mylar are hard to detect.
    My son sprayed the plastic dip on one of his vehicles and it looked okay for awhile but he was frustrated that it was not standing up so he pulled it off. He is tired of the digital stuff and is now into hand painting, gold leaf etc and doing nice custom signage.

24. squirrel

squirrel

see, there is some hope for this wacky modern world we live in

town sedan and razoo lew like this.
  25. j hansen

j hansen

Plasti -dip my 38 a year ago,still looks nice. Skärmavbild 2019-07-19 kl. 07.06.21.png