Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Trades you have done cars or parts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 41rodderz, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ 9 rib covers. :cool:

2. Dixon Bastie

Dixon Bastie

3. Not a trade, but good deal. At 15 years old I bought a 1955 Nash for $10. Drove it home n well cleaning it out I found $5 bill.

About 35 years ago my neighbors 1964 Merc breezeway starter went out. I told him I'd help fix it, but he said no just going to sell for $35. I bought, pulled starter solenoid n flipped contact wheel which fixed that.
    I found a 1959 Cadillac coupe for sale but couldn't afford it. Showed him Merc hoping it and a thousand dollars from me would buy the Caddie. He liked the Merc but told me he had no cash to put with the Caddie! I loved that 59 for years, only selling it to buy a second house. Got $5,000 for it.

4. Dixon Bastie

Dixon Bastie

I was working/getting burned out with a real decent 53 Merc Monterey hardtop, all stock, complete, trim/interior done, and in final primer.
    A friend who had way too many projects called to say he "just had to have" my Merc. He proposed a trade with his 54 Ford Skyliner glasstop, which I knew about and considered desireable. The deal got done on the phone, next day when I got home from work my Merc was gone, and the Skyliner was sitting in my driveway.
    I did quite well - the Ford was paint-ready, had a 302/C4 installed and purring, five new wide whites, complete polished trim/chrome, and in what looked to be an NOS box, a brand new plexi roof insert/gasket/sunshade with hardware.
    Long story short, I painted it back to original coral/white, had the interior done, detailed it, and sold it for a bundle to the first guy who came to look at it. My friend ended up trading my Merc for a 57 Skyliner retractable with a complete parts donor, so we both made out like bank robbers. Made up for all the trades/purchases I got hosed on.
    Looking back, I should never have sold that glasstop, but guess you can't keep them all.

5. Around 1965 Traded a Gibson ES225 guitar for a 53 Buick Skylark, then traded a 4 poster bed for a 40 Pontiac coupe with a J2 Olds for power, traded the Pontiac for convertible top and upholstery for the Skylark, drove the Skylark for 12 years. 1970's traded a a 47 Chevy pickup for a 47 Chevy 4 door, traded it for a Graham Hollywood, was gifted a 36 Cord that had burned up in a building fire, bought a 2nd Graham body in pieces, used the roof doors and quarters to fix the Cord, traded the Cord for a 1961 Jaguar 4dr sedan that was a driver. Nobody had money, everybody traded, great times. JW

6. Country Joe

Country Joe

I traded My 32 Chevy coupe for my current 47 Chevy. Sane people would agree I got the shaft but, I really wanted the 47. And as I said in another thread, I really don't enjoy driving the early 30's cars.

The guy that got the 32 got a perfectly running, functioning, driving car. The only thing he had to do was change little things to his personal tastes.

The 47 I got however was not drive-able. It needed to be rewired. It didn't steer left. The 5 speeed was crap. The carb was junk. Gas tank had more dirt than gas. Fuel & brake lines no good The whole suspension was shot but I didn't care. The body was in great shape. I fixed everything that needed fixing and it cost me a bundel but I now have the car I want. Now I need to save up and get a new interior. It makes me dizzy looking at it...lol
    chevy.jpg
    20190618_171857.jpg
    IMG_3665.jpg
    IMG_5216.jpg

7. cshades

cshades
    from wi

just got of high school 1981, I bought a pair of sidepipes from a guy for $5 the chrome was ok but the muffllers were crusty. I showed them to guy I knew and he just had to have them so I said I would take $10 (making a killing) he says I don't have any cash right now how about a trade? Sure what you got? he says a Mossberg pump 12 gauge has had 2 boxes of shells through it. I told him I didn't have any cash either and he says no, even trade. OK then.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  8. big john d

big john d
    from ma

in 1966 i traded two pretty new f70 14 tires for a chopped and channeled 1930 basket case model a coupe project the frame had been z'ed and brazed back together i pulled the body and canned the frame it had a flathead in it (32?) uncle sam sent me on vaca so i took it apart and stored it in dads basement here we are 50 plus years later and it is finaly getting some love tube fame and all the parts i saved and put away

9. cshades

cshades
    from wi

Same guy again this time I am living across the street from him and he is driving a '72 el camino ss that I know he paid pretty good money for because I know the guy he bought it from. the SS is a 350/400th with a 12 bolt under it. He says to me you interested in trading your nova for my elco? My nova was "71 with 307/4 speed, I am like why would you want to trade and he says I want a stick -- I will trade even---ok then.

10. ... Traded this '31 Model A coupe for my '35 Coupe 26 years ago ... Still have the '35 ...

31 ford.jpg DSCN3271.jpg

11. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Having done my share of removing intake manifolds and carbs in our 58 Impala, our 40 Willys 671 SBC Coupe and a Ford Sedan Delivery, there were only a few things that we had not completed during our hot rod/drag race days. So, in high school when a friend asked me to help him with a manifold carb exchange, it was going to be like old home week. We had the skills, the tools and plenty of time after school to get the exchange done.

Another friend had a dual quad Corvette and wanted a single carb for a better street driving feel. He said that the dual carbs weren’t as easy to drive as the single 4 barrel carb 283 motor. He told us that if we did the work in the exchange, the dual quad set up was ours to put on the 57 Chevy Bel Air and the 4 barrel from the 57 283 would go on the Corvette motor. To us, it was simple swap and it took us a couple of afternoons into the late evenings to get the swap complete.

The Corvette was powerful with the dual quads on the 283, but the feeling of power still came from the single 4 barrel carb after the exchange and tuning. It did drive easier with the single 4 barrel carb. The biggest change was the 57 Chevy now had some extra horsepower and when we road tested it, it was full of extra power. The surge of the second quad coming on when the gas pedal was put farther down was pretty impressive.

Jnaki

There were no leaks, no drips or improper tuning when everything was bolted up, again. The exchange was done, we got paid two fabulous Russell’s Burgers and fries and we were totally satisfied of a job well done. Even though my friend and I had done similar replacement builds, this had some side effects that just made the exchange the best we have ever done. It was satisfaction.