Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects East Coast Hustler 30 coupe AV8

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Phil55Kratz, Mar 24, 2019.

1. catdad49

catdad49

I saw a pic recently with the steering wheel positioned such as yours (but I think it was a roadster) I thought to myself, you know back in the day the majority of the rods were very similar to this with a big wheel and high up in the car. It looks strange, but then it looks so Right!

lothiandon1940 and OLSKOOL57 like this.
  2. Phil55Kratz

Phil55Kratz

That’s what I’m sayin! When I bought this car I pictured a giant white steering wheel up like a big old bus wheel.. and I put tons of though into the position and felt it was perfect .. then I chopped the car without hardly any thought haha. I’m really trying to build this car just the way they were built back in the day. There’s stuff that I’m not sure it will stay but it’s really got the look I was after. Havin fun!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3. Phil55Kratz

Phil55Kratz

So since I chopped the car I needed to do something with my seat. My stock seat was in great shape and I could have probably made it work but I decided to sell it. I planned on buying foam and making a seat from scratch. Man just with foam and vinyl I would have had 250$ in It already! Decided to buy a Jeep Wrangler seat off eBay the cover looks decent and will work until I can get upholstery done . The seat is pretty cool but it felt to shallow and the backrest was way low. Plus I don’t wanna just slap any old seat and calm it good. So I pulled it apart and made a platform for the backrest. Tried to give it the original look as much as possible. Worked out great.. still have some finishing to do but I’m happy with it so far.[​IMG][​IMG]

catdad49 likes this.
  4. Phil55Kratz

Phil55Kratz

IMG_3253.JPG IMG_3255.JPG IMG_3256.JPG IMG_3257.JPG

catdad49 and Shadow Creek like this.
  5. Phil55Kratz

Phil55Kratz

[​IMG]

brEad, Jet96, Dino 64 and 5 others like this.
  6. catdad49

catdad49

Like the seat! I'm doing mine with a caravan seat, actually a combination of two. Robbed the adjusting mechanism from the rear seat and added to the middle non adjustable one. Just finished the mock up, the wife and I will do the upholstery.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  7. Phil55Kratz

Phil55Kratz

Been away from home working for the last couple weeks.. finally back at it! Cut the glass down and the window garnishes one window was reg glass and I dropped it and killed it.. no biggy cause I wanna get tempered glass anyway. Messed with the headlight bar tonight and started to make some front shock mounts... orders some new head gaskets for the motor.. since I took the heads off to check it out. I’m really closing in on a lot of it. Really just gotta get my head in it and get it goin. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  8. Phil55Kratz

Phil55Kratz

Last pic is my buddy’s 51 sled. Cool car!

lothiandon1940, enloe and catdad49 like this.
  9. Phil55Kratz

Phil55Kratz

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    The rear section of
    My coupe was a bunch of notch up wood and bondo that someone did.. since I’m getting rid of the rumble seat set up I beefed it up and made some drain gutters today. I still gotta make a channel for the lid to rest on. And have a catch. I’ll make that so it drains well too. I need a bead roller! I wanna make the floor boards but don’t want to do em just flat.

10. Pothole

Pothole

Phil I just completed my coupe project and seeing your pics makes me want to tear it apart and start over. This was my first hot rod project so there was quite a learning curve. I was floored by your solutions to the pedals and Chinese radiator problem(which I suffered through) as well as your F1 cross member. I purchased a K member which I now do not recommend. Please keep all your pics and think about publishing a pictorial A-V8 build book something like the one by Vern Tardel. If you do put me know for 2 copies. I am not that far from you so if you are planning to show her at a local event please let me know so I can crawl all over it.
    Thank you for taking the time to share your fantastic work.
    Pothole Bob

Stogy and catdad49 like this.
  11. Phil55Kratz

Phil55Kratz

Thank you for the Kind words! I really appreciate it! Never planned on going as far as a book but I do try to post things in detail hoping it helps someone where I had trouble deciding and finding good pics sometimes. A lot of this stuff has been done by others but there’s a million ways to look at it or adjust to exact combos.. there’s a lot of stuff I wish I could do different but sometimes it comes down to just not overcomplicating stuff for ease of servicing and... BUDGET. Haha. I do metal work in aviation but at home I don’t have a good shop to work in so I keep it simple and make stuff out I can with basic tools. Frustrating a lot of the time but fun finding different ways to get stuff done. I’d love to meet up with ya sometime and check out your car as well. Where are you located?

Stogy and catdad49 like this.
  12. Pothole

Pothole

Just under 2hrs away near Gettysburg PA. Years ago I worked in Falls Church. But again if you are at a show let me know. Wish I had know about the F1 cross member, I purchased a K member(I'm making an unhappy face). Are you taking her to TROG?

Stogy and Phil55Kratz like this.
  13. Phil55Kratz

Phil55Kratz

Oh ok yes TROG is for sure. Running out of time to register it for the event but I’ll take it over and cruise around, as long as I get it going! Should be good by October though.

Stogy likes this.
  14. Phil55Kratz

Phil55Kratz

Made up some pedals and the throttle linkage from some stufflating around. Mostly used parts from the mechanical brakes . And my dewalt drill and a grinder(redneck lathe) to make a ball on the end of the linkage arm. IMG_3733.JPG IMG_3734.JPG IMG_3735.JPG IMG_3737.JPG IMG_3748.JPG IMG_3806.JPG

15. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Coming along, looking good ! What’s that pedal made from ?
    Still thinking of TROG ??

Stogy, lothiandon1940 and Phil55Kratz like this.
  16. catdad49

catdad49

Great work, Dino beat me to it about the pedals. Next!

17. Phil55Kratz

Phil55Kratz

Thanks made them from flat steel and carved some grooves with and angle grinder.. and bent a little to get it some contour. not the prettiest thing in the world but gets the job done for now. I’ll be at TROG but just cruising around (hopefully)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  18. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like your gas pedal set up. We are doing something similar as we have a big old Y block distributor on the other side of the firewall so cant get a straight shot on the engine side.
    We did discuss putting a cover over the upright throttle arm , so the passenger cant say whoa your going too fast and step down on the arm>>>

Stogy likes this.
  19. Phil55Kratz

Phil55Kratz

Haha nice never even thought about the passenger hitting the brakes hah.. not a bad idea. There were so many diff ways I coulda done mine but this kinda has the look I wanted and it’s sturdy. Still simple to modify if ever needed also.

20. Phil55Kratz

Phil55Kratz

I think I have A.D.D. Or at least I just decide to take a brake on some things and do something else. This week I decided I wanted to do the interior. I don’t really want anything to crazy. Those is what I ended up doing . There’s a piece of wood in the trunk, that’s just temporary kinda been waiting on doin the trunk sheetmetal cause I wanna get a bead roller.. anyway, here the interior. Still gotta make the windlace around the doors and make the header peice. But you get the idea.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

21. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

As I said earlier in your build “GREAT JOB “!!

Stogy, lothiandon1940 and Phil55Kratz like this.
  22. Phil55Kratz

Phil55Kratz

Thank you! I appreciate it!

Stogy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  23. Phil55Kratz

Phil55Kratz

[​IMG]

ct1932ford, brEad, nunattax and 6 others like this.
  24. looking good!!

Phil55Kratz likes this.
  25. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Just read through the whole thread. Cool car, lots of nice touches and craftsmanship, keep up the good work.

Stogy and Phil55Kratz like this.
  26. Phil55Kratz

Phil55Kratz

Thank you!

27. Phil55Kratz

Phil55Kratz

Thanks! I appreciate it !

28. Phil55Kratz

Phil55Kratz

[​IMG][​IMG]

Haven’t been moving very fast on the car lately I started a new job and all kinds of crap has just made it kinda difficult to get the car going. I still have been chipping away at a lot of little stuff that needs to get done. I have it mostly wired . And today I spent most of the day goofing off making this gauge and switch panel. I have most of my tools at work now and it was a pain trying to cut holes and stuff .. but it turned out alright for now. I may remake the engine turned plate eventually as I got it a little crooked when I was drilling holes. Haha it has the right. Look in my mind anyways. Also got the car running So it starting to get exciting . Just seems like a never ending list still but that all part of it.

29. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice switch/gauge panel!

Phil55Kratz likes this.
  30. Looking great, enjoying your build and creations :cool:

Phil55Kratz likes this.