Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Overheating head scratcher

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Nebraska Steven, Dec 5, 2018.

1. 6sally6

6sally6

Didn't read ALL the replies but..... n some SBF Mustangs the lower radiator hose will squeeze shut at highway speeds causing an over heating problem. Install a spring in the lower hose(same size as the inside diameter of the rubber hose) solves the problem, usually. Might work for you. Sometimes its the small things that "get-us"!
    6sally6

2. morac41

morac41

I havent read all the replys but it sounds like an ignition problem with the dist not advancing..this will run retarded and will heat the engine up very quickly..the dist advance meck could be gummed up..seen this problem often

dan griffin likes this.
  3. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Figure it out yet, Steven?
    It's always the figurin' out that takes so #&*()(^& long sometimes.
    Once ya figure out what the problem is, ya just fix it...lol.

4. Got that right! Take a doctor for example, he can talk to the sick person and he can tell what hurts and what don't. A mechanic has to figure it out by himself, Why do the doctors get paid so much more?

5. of course just jokin'

6. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

Machines talk too, it's just a language harder to understand. ;) And besides, the patient can only tell about the symptoms anyway, just like the machine does, someone still needs to understand what those symptoms mean.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  7. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Mechanics don't replace pistons, for example, while engine is idling, lol

VANDENPLAS and 46international like this.
  8. X-cpe

X-cpe

Because they bury their mistakes.

9. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah...and some smart-ass had the bright idea that I should drive my old car while I work on it. Gave it a try. Proved to be quite dangerous.

10. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Something to do with the rubber glove thing.

46international likes this.
  11. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

What I've noticed in general these days, everybody wants to wear the surgical scrubs and a stethoscope and drive a ferrari, or sport a nomex flight suit, big watch and cool shades, you get the idea, but what they really don't want to do is first go through all the stuff that it takes to get there. I don't get it, they apparently think people are just interchangeable meat sticks or something, and no special effort or aptitude is required.

Ralphies54 likes this.
  12. dan griffin

dan griffin

If the radiator is that old the fins may not be tight against the tubes=no heat transfer.

13. Model A Vette

Model A Vette

You mentioned that you have a Mopar performanc distributor. Does it have a vacuum advance? Have you checked that the vacuum can is working? Easy to do by putting a hose on the can and sucking on it with the engine stopped and the distributor cap off.
    I worked on a '68 Firebird back in the '70s. It had a temp control that blocked vacuum advance for emissions at some temps. It had the same symptoms as you have. I bypassed the control and it never overheated again.
    Is your distributor vacuum on manifold vacuum?

14. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Fulltime manifold vacuum runs cooler at idle, but emissions (NOX) spike. It would revert to fulltime manifold in the event of engine overheating. I think I have that right. Good point about ignition advance, it will run hot with retarded timing.

dan griffin likes this.
  15. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

La la la la la la la la...

16. verde742

verde742

don't know much about Hemi's
    BUT could one or both head gaskets be installed upside down?

blocking a coolant hole?

17. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I helped a buddy chase this issue on 351C for a year or so . If you google 351C will see a brass insert in the block under the TStat . He had the block cleaned and the brass restrictor was lost . This is to limit the amount the TStat opens and thus causing the coolant to bypass the radiator . I know nothing of how the coolant flow is on your engine , but I feel it’s something simple . I have a friend runnin a Hemi in a 34 coupe . You can not make it run hot . Another thing to look into that has been susgested is the vacuum advance on the dist . Early Fords used this advance heavily to advance timing , if yours is busted you are drivin a cool lookin boiler .

18. I have a Mopar performance electronic ignition, so it does have a vacuum advance, but that is one thing I haven't verified was actually working. Definitely worth checking!

Moriarity likes this.
  19. Yes...when I had the shop put a bigger outlet connection on the flow tested before and after. It supposedly increased the flow by 20%, but no idea how it compares to a stock Hemi radiator. I also have a 56 desoto in the garage with a 330 hemi and it is a much larger radiator.

20. They are now $12 at the local hardware store, so yes I will soon be playing with one!

Boneyard51 and 46international like this.
  21. Thank you for confirming, I've had several people that hemis just don't run hot. So I think when I find it it will be something simple. Or something stupid I did.

22. thorpe31

thorpe31
    from nor-cal

As much as I agree and those doctors do have a shingle that says “General Practice”. They work on us while we’re running.

23. expavr

expavr

For a frame of reference I’m running a supercharged 392 Hemi in my 33 Chrysler coupe using the OEM radiator tanks and a 2 tube radiator core the same size as the OEM core’s dimensions. Cooling is provided by a Flexalite Black Magic 3300 CFM electric puller fan with shroud and a 55 GPM Meziere 300 electric water pump mounted on the Hotheads Chev Big Block water pump housing. The coolant is a 50-50 water/antifreeze mix. The thermostat is a 190* Chevrolet part. At 65-70 MPH the temp gauge reads 180-190*. I agree with what others in this thread have said that the pusher fan on the front of the radiator presents a physical restriction to airflow thru the radiator and depending on the blade design may actually slow or disrupt the airflow at higher vehicle speeds. Do you have enough room between the water pump and the radiator to mount a puller fan? I would consider making that change with as high a CFM unit that will fit in the space. If you decide to make that change I would also recommend that in addition to the thermostatic control offered by the fan manufacturer you wire in an on/off override switch.
    Les Williams

firstinsteele likes this.
  24. sdluck

sdluck

Sidewinder electric fans have offset motors

25. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

That will be the best $12 you ever spent. Those guns can be used to help diagnose many different problems in many different areas, not just automotive.

Bones

26. Rramjet1

Rramjet1

Been running a Sidewinder in our 50 Chevy Convertible with a ZZ3 motor for at least 5 years and it works great. Just not enough clearance between short water pump and radiator to get a large CFM fan in.

Attached Files:

27. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I chased my tail on my 41 Plymouth and found that I had a shroud that was restricting flow. Now, in have a puller fan mounted on the radiator and nothing else. It stays cool at speed and at idle. The guy at Champion told me that when he encounters a problem like yours and mine, 95% of the time it's airflow.

Jibs likes this.
  28. Been delayed too long, but finally felt like another round of troubleshooting (aka taking another butt kicking). After procuring a digital temp gun, I got the car nice and warm. The radiator was dropping the temp by about 30 degrees. This is at idle in the garage. When you hold the rpm up over 200, the temp would increase on both ends, but was still dropping around 30 degrees. This made me think coolant flow at first, so I redid my lower radiator hose configuration one last time to completely eliminate that possibility as I had a somewhat questionable fabricated 90 degree bend going into the pump. Now questions about the lower radiator hose flow path anymore, but this didn't help.

Next, my dad had talked to a guy with a 392 in a 40 ford that claimed to have had the same problem and said it was solved by adding water capacity. He showed him where he had an auxiliary tank in line wit the lower radiator hose. I didn't suspect this would help, but dad was convinced enough. So I decided to try it as an experiment and if nothing else , prove a point. So lacking anything better to make a small pressure vessel out of, I dug an old muffler from the grain truck out of the scrap heap. Spent a day cutting it open, bead blasting the rust, shorting and welding up the old pin holes. It held about a gallon, and I put it in line with the upper radiator hose and gave it a test run. At first this seemed to help...but much as expected it eventually began to climb in temperature. It just took about 25 miles this time instead of 15.

Next test was removing the pusher fan as suggested by people here. This ended up not being the quick 15 minute job I thought it would be, as I had to pull the radiator out. But got it off and went for a spin without the fan. Initial results are promising! I drove about 25 miles and never went above 195. Then when I turned down the gravel road to get home I like to drive slower and it heated up fairly quick to 220...but I don't have a fan at this point, so hopefully that is the issue. So a much larger puller fan is on order and should be here soon. I probably need a few more miles and a warmer day than my last test drive to confirm if that is the fix. It will be over 100 this weekend...so if it works then, i will know for sure! More to come soon...

29. Sandgroper

Sandgroper

I think you are on the money now. Mine ran at 220 at highway speeds when I bought it, puller fan on radiator and cooled off 190 at idle. Was driving me nuts until I realised PO had reversed wires on fan. Simple fix, doh.

30. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

The water pump helped but still wasn’t right, I installed a new triple pass radiator no help there. I’m going to put the fan further into the shroud and install a heavy duty fan and see if that helps