Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest To Patch or not to Patch. How do some of you lead or guide your clubs as president

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LilBlue82, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Groucho Marx. Should have read all the replies..... OOPS.

charleyw likes this.
  2. 20 is the 10 these days. Geeze oh Pete

3. LilBlue82

LilBlue82

All of these comments have helped. to kinda clear the air we are just a bunch of car guys that like working on stuff together and ya know the more people i see comment on the small numbers thing the better the idea is sounding. honestly the guys in it right now are close friends very close and i think that's how we are gonna keep it.

4. clem

clem

This might work ! :)
    Best idea yet .

5. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

One of the biggest problems with clubs starts with money. Members want full accounting for their dues, and sometimes not so honest people end up being the ones controlling the money, then the troubles start. I was in a club once, everything was hunky dory until the money we had paid in started going places where the members hadn't said for it to go. We did the charity support deal, which is good if handled right, but the treasurer, who just happened to be a social worker, wanted to use the money on her favorite charities, one of which we think was herself! After a total explosion, everybody went their own ways, a little smarter and with a bitter taste in our collective mouths. I still run into a few of them now and then, but the ones that caused all the troubles left the area. They are all like me, lone wolfs, no more clubs for us.

Dooley likes this.
  6. Our club has very few rules. One is a new member must attend 3 meetings [in a row] before being voted on by the members. That gives both the new guy and the old members time to get acquainted with each other.
    About the only other rules is if you do something that reflects badly on the club, we vote on letting you go. We've had to bust only 2 guys loose.
    We get together for picnics, club rod runs for both our club and other clubs and dinners. We've even had our own swap meet in a local high school's parking lot. We used the proceeds [10 bucks a space] to eat a big Christmas dinner at a swanky restaurant....
    Our club got smaller and smaller due to attrition and now we only get together every few years and some of the old members don't even have cars anymore. Topics at the last meeting centered around member's new hips, successful surgeries, grand kids and new retirement jobs. It just ain't the same as it was in '82 although there are 4 of us that still hang together and we 4 still have our hotrods.....we don't need no steenking club meeting to enjoy each other's company

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. While I'll agree that formal clubs can be a total PITA sometimes, we are losing sight of why most clubs were formed 'back in the day'. This is where you exchanged expertise, helped one another on your cars, and most importantly, promoted the hobby, indoctrinated new members, and mentored guys new to the hobby. Sure, almost everything is on the 'net these days, but that personal touch can make a difference. For all the crying about how the hobby is aging/dying, small 'clique' clubs do nothing to reverse that trend.

jakespeed63 and Piledrivin'Joe like this.
  8. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Our club has been going for 28 years and works on similar principles . www.calroadsters.com

jakespeed63 likes this.
  9. This entire thread reminds me of why I don't belong to a club. Way too many rules, takes the fun out of hot rodding. I used to belong to two different clubs, both got too carried away with by laws and rules. Took the enjoyment out of it. Meetings became all about Old news, and then New news. Boring!

10. Glad I found this thread. Our "club" has been together almost 20yrs. Currently have 10 members and 1 "prospect" We try and use our annual Groundhog Gala event, to bring in new members. You must prove yourself worthy, by helping out at the show and participating , throughout the year, in at least a few activities. As well as, getting together, for thrashes, on members cars. Not everyone can help all the time, or attend other shows, but that's the joy of a large group.
    We are in the midst of growing pains. Last October, we took on a nostalgia drags, in addition to our Gala. Myself and most others, would like to turn the drags into something worthwhile and leave the car show/gathering alone(275 cars and 1200 people) Unfortunately, with growth, come issues. Some good...some not so good.
    Really like what Crazy Steve said,
    " we are losing sight of why most clubs were formed 'back in the day'. This is where you exchanged expertise, helped one another on your cars, and most importantly, promoted the hobby, indoctrinated new members, and mentored guys new to the hobby. Sure, almost everything is on the 'net these days, but that personal touch can make a difference. "
    Despite what stupid TV shows depict, the old car hobby is dying. Keeping the Traditional Hot Rod flame burning and teaching the next generation, is part of what we are all about.
    JT
    Prez: Misfires Car Club

11. LilBlue82

LilBlue82

I've heard of the ground hog gala!!! you were featured in one of my favorite Magazines either in rodz magazine or one of the hot rodding publications i pick up.

12. Clik

Clik

OK, this thread is a little old, as is the subject matter, but somethings don't change. Allow me to put in my two cents.
    #1 I've read quite a few comments over the years downing clubs. If a club isn't your thing fine, but isn't it a little hypocritical or selfish to attend shows and events organized by clubs while condemning them? The club members do a lot of work organizing these events out of love for the hobby. They don't get paid a dime.

#2 One club I was associated with was hosting a large annual event with no insurance or liability protection. Having owned a corporation or two I understood the risk they were taking. Having a lot to lose I voiced concern over this. It fell on deaf ears until myself and another concerned member brought a retired judge to a meeting who scared the crap out of anyone that owned a house or property.

#3 If you don't have a pot to piss in and never intend to, you can fly colors or wear organizational T-shirts or I.D yourselves with club plaques without much worry.

#4 If you own a home, or ever plan to, and want to be an identifiable club you will need more liability protection than just insurance. You will need to form a Non-Profit entity. At one time soccer moms couldn't form a soccer club for kids because they couldn't get liability insurance. A federal law had to be passed to limit the liability for Non Profit organizations.

#5 There are apparently some car clubs that operate like so called outlaw motorcycle clubs and there are some outlaw motorcycle clubs that started as car clubs. But in spite of the term used by the HAMB gods "hot rod hoodlums" they apparently don't want any discussion of any REAL hoodlum connections, even from a historical perspective. I've been censored for citing the history in the past. Therefore I'll refrain from citing those portions of our history.

6-bangertim and 31hotrodguy like this.
  13. ^^^^^Good advice^^^

Clik likes this.
  14. Clik

Clik

Note: You must be a legal entity/registered Non Profit to qualify for the liability protection. Your State may have additional liability protection. The law does not cover you or any member that does a big smokey burnout, loses control and runs over an old lady. https://www.congress.gov/105/plaws/publ19/PLAW-105publ19.pdf

15. You need a club to share info and help on other folks builds?
    Enjoying cars gains friends, clubs usually loose friends.
    We have one at school for students. Another instructor and myself are the boss. It’s great to help guide students and for them to feel part of something while in high school. But outside of that, I’m out.

16. I have been the president of our club for the past 8 years and most of our members have been members for at least 25 years, being able to get along with each other has been the glue that binds, start making rules that people having to basically prospect for a long period of time will definitely limit membership.

Unrealistic rules will kill a club fast.

I responded to this thread last year and I stand behind everything I mentioned at that time, since our last months meeting we came to the conclusion that there is only 3 of us under the age of 70 so a motion was made and voted on, we decided that no one now or any potential new member will have to pay dues.

After 47 years we are basically a social club and no longer do indoor or out door car shows, we are just a bunch of old farts and enjoy each others company.

Tri-City Rod & Custom was established in 1972 and we still have 10 to 13 members at every meeting, I would like to think the club will continue after we are gone but the plain hard fact is if any of the younger guys that have a interest in older cars are starting their own clubs, the biggest and most active in my area is the HARD KNOX and they are a bunch of great guys.

We are the oldest continues car club in South Carolina. HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    31hotrodguy likes this.
  17. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

One of our local hot rod heroes has friends over on Thursday nights. Very loose. 8-10 guys. Somebody brings pizza. It's BYOB. Lots of BS. We solve the world's problems. More BS. And sometimes we even work on a car. Seems just about perfect to me.

31hotrodguy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  18. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

You brought it back to life. Good thread.

19. I guess I will add my advise as I have been President of a good sized car club now for a couple of years. The club I am president over is a O/T club for Chevy Camaro's of all years and its been together since 1982 with no founding members left in the club. I believe the oldest continuous members at the moment are from the late 90's. Currently we are sitting at around 56 members. The numbers fluctuate a lot due to allowing new cars in the club. I would say we are a entry level club for people to see if being apart of a car club is something they will enjoy. So I am used to meeting people once and never seeing them again.

We are a non-profit group that is registered and we carry all the insurance we need for both the club and the current board of directors and it is something stated earlier that it is something you need to do if you plan on holding any kind of event as a club.

Our Treasurer is not allowed to sign checks. We have never had a problem in the past with money going missing, but the club did this a couple years ago to just add another check/balance.

If you grow the club, you WILL get a bad apple at some point. How bad can vary from someone that is just disruptive in meetings to someone who gets into fights with other members. I have had to deal with a few problem members with emails and face to face talks. I have noticed though with the group being as large as it is that when a trouble maker joins the older group does a good enough job to straighten them out or convince them that our club is what they were looking for.

No matter how big or small the club gets, its always the same group of people doing all the leg work for shows. We at one point were near 100 members and the same 20 would be doing all the work. I hope to think I am being encouraging enough for newer members to get more involved without being demanding, but there is always that group that's shows up when the work is done or there is free stuff.

Though there alot of people that put down car clubs (and there are some bad ones out there) but I have some great memories of club activities we have done and I have made some incredible friendships through car clubs. Being on the board as Vice President and now President has been quite the learning experience but has been a really fun challenge. They have also helped me grown as a person and come out of the shy and quiet person I was back in high school.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  20. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Patches are for MC jackets.

21. Clik

Clik

Club jackets and patches have been around since before I was born and I'm 65. Very traditional.

porknbeaner likes this.
  22. Stopped reading at this post- If your "club" is into that/does that, maybe not the right place for you... If ethics have to be reminded, and not given, then what would be the point?
    Myself- If I had to say those words, I'de just bail, and take my family/wife with me, and split......
    Sounds like a drama fest that i'de have NO part of........

23. You could actually incorporate as an LLC instead of forming a 501C3. I have not looked into the pros and cons of it but that may be a way to go.

I do know that the tax codes for an LLC are a little more straight forward and the liability is comparable according to what I have been told.

24. I may be a little old fashioned or too old fashioned for this discussion but in my world no one would have to even mention that you don't sleep with another man's woman, or another person's significant other for those of you who are more progressive than I am.

I have actually mentioned this on the HAMB before and had some people say something along the lines of my being s snowflake or the like. I just struck those people from my list of HAMBers to meet.

25. Ya Ben, you know the code........WTF is wrong with people now a days? I know it's been going on forever, but- shit! ask here? Or, should I state "here"....... as an old time ex used to say way back when= F me running!
    Sometimes the shit here never surprises me.

26. I think some people confuse being a dirty no good with being low rent. There are lines that you just don't cross.

INVISIBLEKID likes this.
  27. I hear you, that would be a non issue where I come from. HRP

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    31hotrodguy likes this.
  28. poncho catalina

poncho catalina
    from summit il

I was in a couple of car clubs a long time ago. Like others have said money becomes an issue. At first there is no money and the few work to build it up, once there is a few dollars in the bank then the new (ones that never worked on anything) come up with all kind of ways to spend it. Then the I know a guy story comes out ,who will give us a deal on shirts or jackets, only to find out he gets a cut.

Then I was asked to help form a cub with a few guys I hung with. I came up with a club similar to Chili Phil’s. We call ourselves the Nobodies. Why? Because nobody pays dues, nobody is President, Nobody has to go to meetings, and nobody has to take notes. Nobody is refused. This has worked to over 30 years. Membership numbers go up and down, but nobody cares. We meet at car shows or cruise nights have a good time and go home. Nobody has to clean up. Most of us are still friends

29. wvenfield

wvenfield

Not at all. I don't really like car shows either. I've probably been to 2-3 the last 5 years.

I am not knocking anyone. To each their own. I'm not a fan of sitting around for 4 hours and then watching people get upset because their car didn't win the sitting around contest.

RRanchero Rick and Dooley like this.