Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Morris Minor Gasser build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by southcross2631, Oct 22, 2016.

1. Been away from this thread for a while. Great progress! Congrats on getting it moving under its own power and resolving the clutch issues.

loudbang likes this.
  2. It looks like a sick little ride...

loudbang likes this.
  3. southcross2631

southcross2631

Going to test in primer next Friday. This Friday looks like rain. Will install rear fenders and front clip this morning before work. Need to re-deck the trailer I bought and install the fenders.
    Getting it inspected so I can get a VIN# and tag so I can pull it out of Tn. Tn. does not require a tag for small trailers in state hauling.

Dog_Patch and enloe like this.
  4. southcross2631

southcross2631

well got the back fenders on and the taillights wired. Discovered the cooling fan is a puller and not a pusher so had to reverse the wiring to make it a pusher. It rained all morning so we couldn't get the front clip out of the storage shed. We would have had to put the car outside and it was raining a little too hard for that. then we had to go to work. DSCF3539.JPG DSCF3540.JPG

AHotRod, catdad49, brianf31 and 6 others like this.
  5. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mike,

Sorry, but I have OCD.

I know you already know this...but the slick on the driver side sticks past the fender lip further than the slick on the passenger side. Is the driver side fender pushed in or the passenger fender pulled out?

Steve

enloe and loudbang like this.
  6. southcross2631

southcross2631

It bothered me too. I was going to adjust my Panhard bar to pull the body over to the left until I looked at the fenders and realized when I flared the fenders that I brought the driver side straight down and the pass side is flared out staring at the crown of the fender. I am going to see if I can work the pass. side fender down to match the driver side. Thanks for noticing, my wife picked up on it when we were admiring the tail lights.
    This is the first time I really had a chance to stand back and look at them. I slammed it together down in Florida when we moved and then took them off when we got up here to put the tubs in.
    I figure maybe it throw my competitor off in the other lane when they are looking at the back of the car and see the fenders are not the same and miss a gear trying to run me down.

7. southcross2631

southcross2631

here it is with the front clip on. DSCF3542.JPG DSCF3543.JPG

swade41, AHotRod, catdad49 and 12 others like this.
  8. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

and........FINALLY... it moves !! Good deal Mike !! Let me know how Paradise goes. I was working last night and couldn't text.

Dog_Patch, enloe and loudbang like this.
  9. southcross2631

southcross2631

Here is a front view. It rained most of the afternoon again today so we worked on taking the old decking off the trailer.
    special thanks to my wife for helping me with the trailer and installing the front clip. Her being 11 days from total knee replacement, she really helps me the best she can. DSCF3544.JPG

10. southcross2631

southcross2631

It figures. I started putting the fenders on my trailer and ran out of welding gas. Got the fame painted.

11. southcross2631

southcross2631

Got my molding on around the windows so you can't see the rivets that hold the lexan in. A SEGA rule. DSCF3546.JPG

12. What kind of molding did you use and where did you get it?

Fiddle Picker and loudbang like this.
  13. southcross2631

southcross2631

I got it off ebay. It comes in a roll. Just type in windshield molding. Mine came from a place called GoodWillStores . It has 2 peel and stick strips on the back. Probably Chinese made, but it works.

14. southcross2631

southcross2631

Hemibert, hold off on ordering that weatherstrip. I went to the garage this morning and the contact adhesive let go in several places and was hanging down. I am either going to have to get some 3M weather strip adhesive to try and repair this . I have contacted the ebay seller and am waiting for a response.

Fiddle Picker and Crosley like this.
  15. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

3m super(black) weatherstrip adhesive can fix anything! Awesome product

Fiddle Picker, loudbang and Dog_Patch like this.
  16. southcross2631

southcross2631

I already bought some yesterday. Thanks for the tip.

Fiddle Picker likes this.
  17. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

cleaning the surface before sticking would be important

loudbang likes this.
  18. southcross2631

southcross2631

I did like I always do .I cleaned everything with alcohol. It was just a shitty Chinese product . The ebay seller is replacing the order and it is being shipped out.

19. RigorMorris

RigorMorris

20. southcross2631

southcross2631

I can measure it tomorrow. I know it is a 53 Ford F-100 narrowed 6 1/4 inches. The center line of the spring pads are the same as the center line of my frame rails. 28 inches. I hope that helps . Do you want the width from the center of the king pin ?

21. 6sally6

6sally6

I wanna hear it run!!!!!!!
    Sweeeet looking lil Morris Minor! Bet it will be a hand FULL.....of fun! Think you will take it to Jackson SC for the SEGA next to the last race?! (I'm planning on making that one.)
    6sally6

Fiddle Picker, loudbang and enloe like this.
  22. southcross2631

southcross2631

It is on my schedule . If I make it . I hope to see you there.
    I will try and get some video Friday night. Taking it to Paradise Dragstrip ,in Calhoun, Ga.

23. 6sally6

6sally6

Good! My family is/was from up there in them there parts! Dad born in Calhoun......we lived in Trion.
    Good air
    6sally6

24. RigorMorris

RigorMorris

25. southcross2631

southcross2631

Well went to Paradise Drag strip last night with mixed results. I thought about just an easy first pass to get used to the car, but got to the starting line and told myself you built it and you know it works.
    So I did my burnout and staged which is hard at Paradise with a stick shift because it is uphill and you roll backwards out of the beams. The first pass I rolled backwards out of the beams and redlighted, but left anyway . Pulled second at 7200 rpm's and missed 2nd, went to 3rd and ran beside a guy that ran 7.10 . My lane did not give a finish line time .I guess because of the red light.
    Got ready for my 2nd pass and no 1st or second gear leaving the pits. The clip had popped off the 1-2 shift rod. After searching through the pits and finding a cotter pin. I managed to fix the problem.
    Only had time for one more pass. Staged it up and had a 1.70 60 foot and missed second again.
    I figured out I did not have enough air gap in the clutch to power shift second so we loaded up and came home. It was after midnight when we got home. The car left straight and drove straight all the way through so that was a plus. Not shifting is something I will work on.
    It didn't kill me and I didn't eat a guard rail and it loaded under it's own power . The motor pulls hard and revs clean , seems to make decent power. So all in all not bad for a car that I had driven around the block once before last night.
    Need to figure out how to load a video from my phone so I can show every body.

26. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

27. southcross2631

southcross2631

Thanks. I will work on it.

28. That sounds like a good first outing. So be time to update your profile pic. :rolleyes:

Fiddle Picker and loudbang like this.
  29. southcross2631

southcross2631

Yes, I guess it would since it didn't kill me on the first pass. Ordered a 6.00 ring and pinion today.
    That should wake it up. Will have a 5.29 gear with 2 passes on it for sale cheap, also have a 4.56 for sale.

Fiddle Picker, brEad and RigorMorris like this.
  30. southcross2631

southcross2631

Well got home from taking my wife to the hospital for a total knee replacement. So I have to split my duties between working on the car and being a care taker and my golf course job.
    I can't complain because she would do anything to help me if I needed her to help me. I am very lucky to have her. She worked to help me buy the parts to finish the car. So being her caretaker for next weeks is little to ask.