Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods "Chrome " powder coat.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gus68, Jul 15, 2019.

1. I powder coat on the side. The super chromes and all look ok but like others said have no UV protection so if its going to see daylight it'll turn over time. the UV stuff looks like gloss metallic silver. We've been doing some ceramic here recently and that stuff looks much much better than powder.

2. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I had the dual four intake powder coated for my Buick and wish I had spent that money on some thing else. Looks like about the same finish as a rattle can job.

3. I had a vintage, gutted, Elvis style microphone sort of rough in the finish department. I found a local guy to powder coat it. (I had a customer who wanted to make a unique tail light for his motorcycle.) As I recall, there were at least 3 different silver-ish colors, from titanium-ish (dark) to bright. I agree with the above comments that they didn't look like chrome. But with one eye shut, at 40 miles an hour, on horseback, in the moonlight, they did look like cast and polished alloy. So what's wrong with that? In my personal hierarchy of valve covers, cast 'n' polished beats chrome stamped steel any day. If you are expecting the power coat to look like chrome and have your brain locked down, you will be disappointed. But if you are open to the idea of polished alloy look, you might not be.
    ............my 2 pesos.

tubman likes this.
  4. CudaChick1968

CudaChick1968

I found a single-stage chrome replica powder a couple years ago that customers love and I'm pretty happy with. It's the closest replica to chrome I've ever seen or used. It does not require the previously-necessary top coat to provide UV stability like its predecessors. It has decent reflective properties and looks even more chromey with a black basecoat (not used on the Weiands shown).
    Weiand valve covers for Uli.jpg

This is a quick walk-around of some old Edelbrocks; the powder was still new to my arsenal then but it shows how well it catches the light. I used it on the ribs and as the base for the candy red lettering.

loudbang and Bandit Billy like this.
  5. When you overheat the ceramic, from say running lean, it will discolor.

6. TrapStar

TrapStar

Powder coating is for donuts

loudbang likes this.
  7. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Please; it has it's place; once you realize it's not a replacement, but another alternative surface, it makes a lot of sense..

8. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Have to agree on the "shiny silver" look.

9. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Another good description.

10. indyjps

indyjps

As shown - chrome powder doesnt compare to chrome. If you use it everywhere( dont put it next to chrome) it is a good coating that comes out "shinish". Powder type and coater experience really come into play.

Id chrome the valve covers. $140 is a great price if that includes stripping, their process may not be copper/nickel/chromium. Make sure youre happy with the finish on other stuff they put out.

11. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used Jethot on several sets of Harley exhaust pipes...tho its not chrome, its pretty close, AND, it never discolors like chrome does...lasted well and cost about $150 for a set of shotgun style exhaust pipes.