Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods I love driving old cars!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

I sure as hell don’t look like I’m 16 years old when I’m driving my hot rod but I sure as hell feel like I’m 16 years old. That’s why I don’t look at myself in the store window reflections when I drive by.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    WB69, Hombre, classiccarjack and 4 others like this.
  2. I think most of us feel like a kid when we are driving a hot rod or a custom, these things are time machines! HRP

Hombre, 47ragtop, 41 GMC K-18 and 4 others like this.
  3. DERPR30

DERPR30
    from HARVEY LA

NOTHING BEATS THE FEEL OF DRIVING A HOT ROD

4. hotrod37

hotrod37
    from Indiana

The lacquer paint is falling off mine but the hood looks great looking out the windshield . That is all I see when I am driving it! And not to a show or event. Just drive to be driving the old car!!

5. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

As much as I can.

HOTRODPRIMER and arkiehotrods like this.
  6. derbydad276

derbydad276

drove mine over 1100 miles in the last week on The Back to the Bricks Promo Tour in Michigan
    Metro Detroit to Grande Marias and back

Hombre and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  7. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Can still remember being 5-7 yrs old, laying for hours in the living room with my Lincoln logs and my plastic building bricks and cars.
    I was in a zone of my own.
    Building, working and driving these old cars does the same thing for this old man.

8. Rick, you just might be on to something there! HRP

9. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

Hell yes Petejoe! Loved my Lincoln logs and my toy cars . Did any of you ever have a road race track( some called them slot cars)? Did you ever slick up the rear wheels so they did COOL burn outs? One day my old man came home from the second hand store with a huge assortment of strombecker slot cars and track. Man those strombecker cars and tracks where so cool!

10. Lincoln Logs were designed for kids to use their imagination, I too spent many hours building all types of structures and as for the slot cars, I got a 4 lane figure 8 car set for Christmas, I vividly remember my granddad,dad and both my uncles playing with it more than I did that day.

11. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

X2! Trailer queens are a real turn off...

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

AMEN!!! And I am not religious either... Very... Very... Well said.

firstinsteele and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  13. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

My favorite part, initially during shaking out the bugs after the build, is the smell of the paint burning off the manifolds, and the engine paint curing. Nothing else compares, and it doesn't last long either. Soon my new workshop will be erected. And my new builds will begin. Can't wait to smell that burning paint again.... And the dull smell of the engine paint curing. Sometimes, I leave a little residue of the Cosmoline on manifolds meant to be left bare, just to smell it when I first fire up the car. But then maybe I have a addiction, and need to get help!!! LOL

14. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

We are going to take a road trip leaving this afternoon for Ord, NE for their annual rod run. The convertible is ready to go, just load up clothes and leave. This is what old cars are about, driving them and having fun. We will be back late Sunday afternoon. Nothing better than seeing the road through the windshield of your old car!

15. chopnchaneled

chopnchaneled
    from Buford Ga.

Don't forget your camera and please use it :)

Hombre and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  16. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

There is nothing better than being on the interstate in the fast lane, 80 miles per hour, loud exhaust passing all the jellybean shape cars in the summer. Even more wild, passing a military convey, going 80 mph, load exhaust traveling in the fast lane. Even better than that, not getting caught by Johnny Law or that he does not even go after you.

17. I have always been obsessed with cars and I'm sure many of you are also, but my love for the old cars has been lost on my children although they have been around them since birth, I'm hoping our grandchildren will carry the torch in the future.

Looking throw that flat glass and across that hood I always feel like I could be driving the car in 1932, what it must have felt like, the sights & sounds. HRP

Hombre, classiccarjack and deadbeat like this.
  18. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

We got to Ord temp gauge went up we were is a motel parking lot I didn’t think anything about it we went back on the highway going to our hotel, started blowing coolant on the windshield. Got to our motel pulled the hood and blew the upper hose. Got a universal hose I will have to try and get the same hose I had on it when I get home

19. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    I can’t believe we had two 1940 Ford Sedan Deliveries at both ends of the spectrum. One was a complete stocker with a Flathead. (the previous owner took out the 348 Chev) The other was many years later with a 327/auto/A/C, etc. That one needed a lot of different work to get it drive well and handle correctly. But, once it got adjusted correctly, it was a pleasure to drive. The first one was a H.S. surf transportation vehicle that ran like a top and went everywhere without any problems.
    upload_2019-7-17_3-30-17.png The second was a starter, partially modified, cruiser with a good foot print. It became the center of our photography business and cruising all over the place.

Even my twenty-something wife liked driving it around to different areas. We liked the idea that those two sedan deliveries looked almost the same, close reddish/orange color with blackwalls, black rims, small center hubcaps, and beauty trim rings. But, the major difference was the added power that made driving simple and easier on those long coastal hills and sloping highways.
    upload_2019-7-17_3-35-2.png
    The view over the dashboard and hood is like most 1940 Fords. The long narrow hood gives the foreground some good depth perception, standing still and driving. But, the rest of the rear cave caused some problems for my wife, first, then me later on, when it got more glaring.

The right rear side panel was solid like all sedan deliveries. But these solid panels make the sedan deliveries what they are. (A cool little sedan with panels.) Despite adjusting the outside door, rear view mirrors, the creeping blind spots just kept nagging on us day and night.
    upload_2019-7-17_3-35-41.png

(coming home from late night photo shoot at a North Long Beach garage)

Jnaki

We adjusted normally during the day and the outside mirrors helped somewhat. At night, it was a different story that led us to finally decide to sell the sedan delivery for a more open family driven car. (especially with a new, expanded family) The darkened outside area was the unknown and it always crept up on the unsuspecting driver.

It was something that had to happen to make the new family life, work out for all of the developing years. As difficult as it was, we said our good byes to the twenty something lifestyle of hot rods and daily, Harley Sportster rides.

20. Danny, I miss driving my 1st 56 Chrysler Windsor.I could cruise the interstate with no problems and that car never gave me a lick of trouble.Even the old wipers worked good in the old girl. Bruce. Justin022.JPG

Ford52PU, Truck64 and bobss396 like this.
  21. I like driving and using any kind of old stuff. I have at least one of every letter series farmall tractors ever made. And I use them to brushhogg , bale hay , skid logs and drag old vehicles out of tight places. None are painted or pretty. there are guys who restore and paint them and never actually do any work with them. When I go to a auction . usually my 66 GMC is the oldest vehicle driven there. Show cars and car shows do nothing for me. 'Once I was going to go someplace in a airplane. My wife took me to the airport. The planes owner and I pushed it out of the Hangar. Debbie exclaimed Randall that looks like something you would own. It was a old Cessna pieced together from parts of several crashed airplanes. different color fuselage and wings ect. That old Cessna flew at 1400 feet and 110 MPH no problem. Only one in a thousand people could have built a reliable airplane from that junk. And I like to drive old vehicles that not very many folks could make work and be reliable.

Hombre, trollst and firstinsteele like this.
  22. Mike

Mike

I like looking at my machines, I always park far away at the grocery store so I can enjoy the view as I walk back to my car.

I have a late model Challenger, but I drive my old stuff most of the time (drive the Challenger maybe twice a week). They are certainly fun too look at, but the best part of owning these old heaps is getting some wheel time.

23. X-cpe

X-cpe

These don't drive 'em types are just preserving future barn finds and "buy the best you can find" projects.

24. Always loved driving, especially when I am carrying. :rolleyes:
    64chev_0001.jpg
    NSRA_0002.jpg
    NSRA 71

IMG_0981.JPG Bridgewater Fair 003.JPG ALSDOVER2015 062.JPG IMG_9169.JPG IMG_0543.JPG IMG_3445.JPG IMG_3448.JPG IMG_0927 (3).JPG
    Sometimes you need a co-pilot:rolleyes:

Hombre, 47ragtop and woodsnwater like this.
  25. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I drove my 40 pickup into the ground,
    We drove the 50 Chevy Ute into the ground
    Chick is driving her DD 28 roadster into the ground
    And we are going to beat the hell out of the Salt Circus on the Salt in a few weeks
    The Ute is rebuilt and ready for the next roung, The 40 is 3/4 of the way back.
    We have others but not enough time in the week to drive them all...

Hombre and Old wolf like this.
  26. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Warning ! Slightly OT here.
    I know what you all mean, even though my 1946, IHC, KB-5 firetruck isn't stock, It has a Chevy 350 in it with turbo 400 and modern rear end, and it isn't a hot rod, but its definitely a time machine, the 3 times I drove it cross country from Seattle to Oshkosh and back, were some great memories, worth every penny of investment, and worth every bump in the road in a tiny cab on the worn out original bench seat from 1946!

DC-3 & me.jpg

27. A man I would like to know.

Ben

Old wolf likes this.
  28. I love the tinkering end of things... the gathering of parts...figuring out how to make something work on a project...but when it comes to driving them...if this was back in the 1960s when the traffic wasn't moving at such a fevered pace...I would probably love to drive them but so far with all my old heaps that I have driven...I am the odd duck...there is nothing fun about driving these vehicles...
    Almost got run over more than once with this old girl...I think maybe I drove it half a dozen times before I sold it...driving them is a chore...rebuilding them is fun
    DSC04626.JPG
    another one I saved here...same parking lot... DSC02015_zps21a4573c-1.jpg I do try them out a couple of times before I send them down the road...usually lose my shirt on it too...oh well all part of the game we play with old cars...

Ford52PU likes this.
  29. What ya gotta is make them long legged. My 66 GMC has 336 rear gears. and the 250 six could do 70 MPH all day long never bother it a bit.

Hombre and mikec4193 like this.
  30. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

We take my old 37 Buick on l-o-n-g trips and after a dozen or so asked "you drove that all the way from Texas?" I've come up with a standard answer; "No we have it shipped FedEx, drive it here, and then ship it back".

firstinsteele, mikec4193 and Deuces like this.