Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '40 dash in a closed car A...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by sloppy jalopies, Jun 20, 2019.

1. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

been at it for a couple years, finally getting some windshield time... found out that the way the '40 dash extends toward the driver it puts the window crank against the dash... errrr !
    have to open the door to crank the window up... don't think it requires a pic...

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  2. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Is there a simple way to make only that window a power window replacing the handle with a button?

3. Better yet. You can install power windows and still use the stock window crank handle and no body will be the wiser.

4. can you make a shorter handle? how much too long is it? I put a '39 dash in my Model A and it works fine, but now that you say it I don't think I checked window crank clearance before I welded it in.... just lucky.

5. 31 Chopped Coupe

31 Chopped Coupe

Who offers that switch as I discovered that I have the same issue about 2 days ago. Any idea of the cost involved to convert to power windows? I love the looks of the 40 dash but would really like to be able to roll the windows while driving. Were you able to save the ashtrays? I ended up welding the holes shut since that made it simpler.

6. goldmountain

goldmountain

Had that issue with the window crank and '40 dash in my T coupe. Used manual window regulators from the rear doors of a '92 Jeep Cherokee and moved the crank handles lower.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Kiwi 4d likes this.
  7. Go to www.STREETRODHQ.COM part# NU-CRANKS11
    Here's the info.

FORD Window Crank Switch Ford 48 & Earlier, Square Shaft, Pair

Nu-Crank Electric Window Crank Eliminate unsightly generic power switches. Operate your electric windows with a stock window crank by simply rotating the crank up or down 15 d...

For All Ford

Texas Webb likes this.
  8. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

I don't head out rain or shine as I once did...
    so to open the door to roll up, or roll down, pulling over is no big deal... I posted so another guy checks first before he mounts the dash...

9. A 39 dash is totally different than a 40. It don't protrude out for the ash trays in the corners.

10. Never occurred to me so I will have to check my 31 with the 50 Ford dash. Bet it hits!

11. goldmountain

goldmountain

Here's my Jeep Cherokee setup. It was pretty easy. The hole above the crank is the old location. IMG_1107.JPG

kadillackid and wheeldog57 like this.
  12. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

the answer was right in front of me... the coupe doors were used on some fordors… they used the 4 hole regulator not the 3 hole used on most As … set up the doors as if they were fordors… plenty of room...