Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Wide five widening..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rusty rocket, Apr 24, 2018.

1. 61gasser

61gasser

This whole thread is why I love the Hamb. Making stuff way cooler for just pennies is what it's really all about. Trouble I find with this stuff, is now I gotta do mine....

bobbytnm likes this.
  2. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

these are wide 5s on a 15" hoop wide5-1.jpg

Attached Files:

3. the oil soup

the oil soup
    from Tucson,AZ

4. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

5. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Rusty Rocket, thank you for this thread. I have pondered this all week and was thinking of doing this myself . Actuaslly looked up some sites that sold blank or wheel shells . I have a new project , yay! BTW I could be wrong but the dodge wheels ( I think) look like that were on my wife Plymouth or Dodge minivan.

6. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

They look a lot like minivan wheels , my wife has owned 4 . I googled and found on the very first search a pic that said 16x6.5 so I think that is what these are.

7. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Those will never come apart.

8. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

I am pretty sure those are 1996-2000 dodge, chrysler , plymouth minivan wheels. I am going t to do the same and found some Chrysler Concorde 16" that appear to be the same except they are 7" wide, otherwise I will look for the 6.5 wide like yours. I measured my 39 wheels and got right at 14.25" on the inside of rim, hoop, shell or what ever you wanna call it where the wheel center piece is riveted to the outer rim...... , is that what you got or did you measure?

9. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Post 27 shows a piece of oak lath that I cut to fit the inside of the wide five that's all I had when I went to the salvage yard. And yes mopar used these wheels on mini vans.

10. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Went to salvage yard got two wheels , u had a piece of wood as well. They only had 2 but I can do rears first.

11. clem

clem

12. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

You ain't lying , I cut the welds then thought , hey , this is o
    Gonna be easy , Tom me about an hour total after I figured In needed to thru the holes all around and even cut to edge to relieve the pressure it had against the hoop. second one took 19 minutes . Btw , I just got one of my wide 5 inners apart. , rivits were really not pretty easy to grind out , Anyway just doing some figuring
    But it looks like it will be kinda close as far s earing great spring hanger and eme brake cable. Thought about flipping but the n would have to weld up air valve hole and drill new on and also there is that groove about a couple inches from the lip that might look crappy.I think it will be ok but noticed I pic yours clear but wonder about tire once mounted .tires are wider than wheel.

13. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

This is what I put my widened rims on. I have plenty of room from the tires to the spring shackles. image.jpg image.jpg

brEad, clem and cactus1 like this.
  14. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

That is the coolest , what is it? Btw I reversed mine , I set up like your at first and the wheel was probably 1/4 inch from spring shackle and whole wheel set pretty far in under the fender and I just didn't like the way it looked so I reversed it and now it sits really nice. I thought I took some pics but for some reason I couldn't find them on phone so I will post in morning. Almost forgot , fter I mounted the wheel I saw a slight wobble. After checking I realized the axle is a bit bent because even with the wheel off the brake drum is slightly off .

15. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I have a build thread--- save of the day( single seater) if you look at it ya might sort of get what my little shit box is. Ha ha!

16. Work4it

Work4it

17. Work4it

Work4it

I posted the previous post a while back if it helps build confidence. I have no idea what donor wheels my friend started with. The car has been running around for quite a while on the widened wide fives and it is driven pretty hard on occasion.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

18. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Attached Files:

brEad likes this.
  19. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

NICE! Looks great!