Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Tailshafts swap?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tylerb23, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Tylerb23

Tylerb23

OK I have 700r4 transmission I'm trying to put in a 87 chevy monte carlo ss. The car right now has a 2004r trans in it. What I need to know is there another GM tail shaft that will fit on the 700r4 that I wouldn't have to go to changing my driveshaft? Thank u in advance.

2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Welcome.
    A tad too modern for this joint Tyler.
    Hope that doesn't change your mind about the HAMB.

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Swapping a tail shaft is major disassembly/reassembly operation, if such a shaft does exist. Much more involved than a driveshaft mod.

I would be interested to know what you are expecting to gain from using a 700R4 in place of your current 2004R. Except for the biased and/or mis-informed people who believe a 700R4 is somehow superior to the 2004R, most knowledgeable folks think the 200 has a few things going for it. A bit more compact in size, a little bit lighter...but more importantly, a better ratio spread. And the 200 can be built to any strength level you want. 700s are not invincible and early versions were known to have their weak points.

But if you are determined to install the 700, I would hardly think the driveshaft modification is a big deal in the overall scheme of things.

Ray

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    1946caddy likes this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

even though it's off topic, the answer to the question is "no". the 700 is a couple inches longer than the 200

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Driveshafts can be easily shortened and rebalanced, by a qualified shop. Call around.

Or, you can push the yoke all the way in to the tail of the 700R4, pull it out 3/4", and then measure the u-joint cap to u-joint cap distance between the transmission and pinion yokes.

Driveshafts are sold pre-made, balanced, in all sorts of lengths.

6. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

It's also more than just swapping extension housings, it also involves swapping output shafts; the 700R4 were ALL the same length, so no different length extension housings/output shafts. Same with the 200R4, only one length and it's shorter than the 700R4 like squirrel already said. TH400's, TH350's, Powerglides, all come in several lengths, and the extension housings/output shafts still have to be swapped out. 1965 is the cutoff date for this site; just ask questions about "parts", and avoid using the vehicle year if it's newer than 1965. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

7. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

What Ray said.

You are going to hate the 700 in your MCSS. Get the 200 4R built and enjoy your WOT upshifts.
    'Don't believe the hype!' of the 700s. Even the '4L60E' in the later trucks sucked massive wingnuts.

700 is a fat bastard that requires not only driveshaft changes, but also mount changes.
    I've had two 700s blow up on me.
    One was an early '84 model(kind of expected) behind a barely running 305. Driving to work it grenaded the stator in the converter. Was just giving it a bit more throttle up a slight incline.
    Other was a late 80's model, similar thing. Didn't feel right and it just up and assploded itself while cruising on the freeway(lowest load).
    Only one I didn't have blow up was a '92 model behind a 4.3 V6, but even then it was annoying. 1-2 shift drop was pointless, and anything above the weight of your foot at cruise caused a jackass 4-3 downshift with engine roaring and 'look at me' shenanigans.

Hnstray likes this.
  8. A customer of mine got a 200r for his 57 chevy that has a 300hp 327 in it.. everyone said get a 700r but he choose a 200r and has not regret it one time..

Rebuild your 200r and save $$$ for other things your ride going to need.