Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Saw a right hand drive 29 R PU today

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by irishsteve, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Going cross town in N Calif this afternoon,and saw a parked 29 roadster PU with a flattie in it.It was pure HAMB stuff no late model shiny stuff on it.Wish I had the time to stop because the steering wheel seemed to be on the opposite side,and it got me wondering....could you turn over a F1 box,and install it in the right side rail,and would it react to the steering wheel correctly? Putting a grease fill hole on the new top side would be no problem,but would it steer? I know ...why would anyone do it anyway? It does make it more one of a kind.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Maybe from a rhd F1?

clem likes this.
  3. swifty

swifty

Quite a few blokes from Australia have shipped their cars to the US to have them at the 50th Nationals. Maybe it is one of their cars. Did you catch the licence plate? And we did have RHD F1's down here, not a lot though.

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  4. Could well be it was a Aus car.If you come this far you might as well see the country.Wish I had the time to stop,and look.

5. swifty

swifty

I just remembered that there were a couple of groups and I think they had planned a cruise across country to the Nats.
    I'm not on Facebook so I'm not in the loop. Being in N. Calif is a bit off the planned route though.

6. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

guys keep trying to get it "right" - years ago did a visit to England - could not wrap my head around sitting in the wrong seat, much less be on wrong side of road - that was all bad enough, much less being in the wrong seat to drive on the right side - sometimes "dare to be different" is not worth it

8. hudson48

hudson48

I did 6000 miles across USA and back last year in the Hudson. You have to keep your wits about you and imperative you have someone riding shotgun in the left hand seat. Mainly to check as you merge onto Interstates and other multi lane highways.

9. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

bought a 34 rdst. and a cabrolet , both rh drive, a few yrs ago, finished the cabr. converted to left drive couple yrs ago. started on the rdst. last week, pulled out axil and rh steering today. both bodies had battery boxes on both sides.

10. Could be old imports from Argentina. They had RHD ages ago.

11. 97

Yes if you turn it over and move it to the rhs it will still steer correctly. As long as the pitman arm is facing the same way (up or down) as it was on the LHS. If you do this it places the column in the same orientation compared to the sector shaft as the original Model A , this will avoid having to modify the firewall.....on a rh steer car. New Zealand had RHD cars too. In fact there is a book written by Les Pearson which documents the differences in LHD and RHD Model As. He also used to manufacture a lot of those parts for restorers,I believe he lists the new manufacturers and sources in the book .
    http://www.nationwidebooks.co.nz/product/the-right-hand-drive-ford-model-a-9780473178178

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    irishsteve and Never2low like this.