Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage WISCONSIN FENDERLESS HOT RODS & WISDOT

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Curt R, Jul 1, 2019.

1. hotrod1948

hotrod1948
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milton, WI

2. Four of us hot rodders began meeting with WSP in 2016 to discuss concerns we were having with misinterpretations WSP was applying to "replica" and "street modified" equipment requirements. Discussions were going well until a WSP personnel change brought new WSP faces to the discussions, the discussions took on a negative tone and ended in early 2018.

During the discussions there was a lot of talk about changes regarding WSP's misinterpretations, changes never happened.

For two years us hot rodders had conversation with WSP, got a lot of talk but no changes from WSP. Other people should try and hopefully do better.

Holding an event is a good idea. Get the right people together and good things could happen.

Curt R

3. Larry,
    I know of a dozen guys with fenderless cars. All run many miles in Wisconsin going to events. Many run to Back to the 50's-Minnesota, NSRA Louisville, LA Roadster Show, Goodguys Iowa, Ohio, Colorado, events in Indiana, Illinois, Michigan. These are the guys State Police see on the interstates and highways. The guy who goes to the cruise in 5 or 10 miles from home and a few local events, doesn't hit the freeways has a good chance of not seeing a WSP trooper. Based on how rarely I see a hot rod on the interstate or major highway, I will believe many hot rodders have not ended up in the wrong place and the wrong time.
    Curt R

4. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

Thanks Curt for all that you are doing for the hot rod hobby!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    leadfootloon likes this.
  5. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

In Illinois , somewhere around 2003 , a new head of ISP pronounced that he'd like to see all the " old junk cars" ( HOTRODS) off the roads ,after several meetings with(I think) representatives of the hot rod community, nsra ,SEMA and a state representative ( politician) , there was an agreement reached that if ,"the car" displayed a current NSRA safety 23 inspection sticker , the. ISP would look the other way in regards to fenders , bumpers ,etc. That's the story that was circulating then and I don't know of anyone who has had trouble ( aside from an over zealous deputy or city cop around Quincy a few years ago .....

6. A Boner

A Boner

Time for a bump.

7. UnkkaBobby

UnkkaBobby

Thanks, I was thinking the same.

8. Some states have different laws regarding modifications to automobiles, like it or not you ether abide by them or you fight them, rarely does the government back down and it appears in this instance the losers are the hot rodders.

If it were me and I lived in Wisconsin I would do what is required to be able to drive my car, if that meant installing fenders and defroster to hanging curtains in the windows, I would rather be driving my car that it be a piece of static art sitting in the garage. HRP

Old wolf likes this.
  9. I certainly could enjoy Brads blue car just as much if it had fenders on it. It would seem to be the reasonable and prudent solution at present. then later if everything gets sorted he could remove them.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  10. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Old Calif., all over again.
    Fenderless cars ran at the dry lakes, but mostly were 'fendered' when driven into said dry lakes.
    My great uncle, William Tell Martin, told me that at every meet there were cars that were stripped in the pits, ran a few times, then re-assembled to return home on the highways. But he said, "Soon, some were seen showing up stripped, headlights and taillights hung on temporary brackets, bumpers/fenders/running boards nowhere to be seen..."
    This new 'convenience' was soon imitated by young guns that terrorized the southern part of the state...'Hot Rods' became a public menace.
    Newspapers headlined hot rod crashes, daily we were enamoured with graphic copy to shock the public.
    I pray that Wisconsin can adjust their priorities in time. Cali did...

11. A Boner

A Boner

We are doing what is required.....but we aren't going to roll over!
    Hopefully the laws on the books are going to be interpred correctly by the State Patrol with our help, or we are going to be working with the legislators to clarify the wording to better spell out the original intent.....as per CurtR and the group that saved us hot rod nuts back in the 1970's and again in he 1990's!

Thanks to the help from the H.A.M.B. we are still trying to spread the word......pass this along to all the Wisconsin HOT ROD guys that might want to help.
    -Thanks

12. UnkkaBobby

UnkkaBobby

"then later if"? Thanks, I'll do what I can to "now today allow"! This effort affects MY home, my hobby, my car.

13. GTS225

GTS225

Yeah....Uh-huh....go along to get along. I suggest that it's your tax dollars that pay their salaries, and if it's your money paying them, then you are their boss, not the other way around. What's the old saying? If you take a man's money, you carry his brand?
    Write the legislators and TELL them what you want, or you will make their life miserable until they lose the next election.

Roger

14. Well Brad had his day in court. He likely is well past the statute of limitations to file a appeal to a jury trial or higher court. 60 days is the prescribed time period to file a appeal in most cases. so its his choice. let it set and not enjoy it. Or do what the court ordered. Its that simple.

15. UnkkaBobby

UnkkaBobby

Did you not follow that the court never ordered any judgement? Please, Old wolf, Do you not take into consideration that the officials of this state watch forums like this? Would you please, if you have no love for fender-less cars, Just be a little more accurate to the information shared as your comments seem anti-helpful at best. Thanks man!

greaser likes this.
  16. Oh yes I read the post the tickets where dismissed. (Although the tickets for no hood and fenders on the 32 Ford were dismissed by the Court on May 17, 2019 the Court indicated that continued driving of the 32 could result in more citations. The Court stated the dismissal was based on the requirement for a WSP inspection of the 32 Ford. The Court's and WSP's joint co-operation is obvious.) So in effect he must comply or not drive on the public roads. Like it or not. My fault your fault the owners fault the cops fault none of that really matters now. The judge did not exzonorate him or rule that fenders where not needed . The judge pretty much mandated he do what the officer wanted. Its simply the way things are. A different judge on a different day might have done something else? No definite reason has been given as to why the judge dismissed the tickets. Was the dismissal contingent on the owner fix the problem and pass a new inspection by the WSP. Why not contact him and ask why the tickets where dismissed? and the inspection that the vehicle failed that resulted in the license suspension? was it done by the same LEO that issued the original tickets? If not you have more than just the one officer stating it needs fenders?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  17. UnkkaBobby

UnkkaBobby

I wash my hands of you,

59bones and Old wolf like this.
  18. I edited my previous post

19. Mike

Mike

The judge did not make a ruling on the case, the judge dismissed the tickets at the request of WSP. Requesting the dismissal was a tactic used by WSP to avoid having the case heard by a judge and thus avoid the possibility of the judge ruling against WSP. Brad has not been given his day in court.

a boner likes this.
  20. So this is something that I haven't read until now. I had asked previously if Brad had been given his day in court and thought I was told that he had? Somehow we are not getting a easy to understand plain spoken full blow by blow account of how the event has played out. Ok another question after the court dismissal. 1 has the vehicle been inspected by the WSP? 2 and if so was it failed? 3 and if there was a failed WSP inspection was it the very same LEO who wrote the ticket who failed the vehicle after the court dismissal? 4 and was the failed inspection after the court dismissal the reason the license was suspended? 5 was Brad present May 17, 2019 when the dismissal was made by the court?

21. A Boner

A Boner

Guilty, until he can prove he is innocent.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  22. Apparently my questions go unanswered. What I wanted to state is if the judge denied Brad his day in court and he was treated unfairly. There is recourse. Every state has a board that oversees the lawyers , prosecuters and judges. And All you need to do is call them and they will send you a form to fill out and you send copys of any evidence. and they will review the matter. and make no mistake those guys will punish any lawyer who they find isn't above board. They take a hard line. The Arkansas board Disbarred a sitting president of the USA. And reciently disbarred a long time circuit Judge in my area. Every lawyer is afraid of a complaint being filed with the board against them.

23. According to the articles on the Wisconsin Hot Rod Radio the Judge told the DA and Brad to work something out or it would go to court. We are getting a bunch of different "interpretations" of this story, but none form Brad, so it's hard to know what is actually going on.

Old wolf likes this.
  24. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

I have not observed anyone in this forum who has shown any interest in your opinions or oratements that haven't been negative .....Simply an observation....

59bones likes this.
  25. I think you hit the nail on the head.

26. And your quite entitled to your opinion. However There are folks who have no valid rebuttal but disagree with the message. They resort to trying and discredit the messenger.

27. If the DA and Brad worked something out???? that called a Plea Bargain. And its written up what the agreement was and the Judge and all partys signed it. That is most definite equal in every aspect to having your day in court. However we get conflicting information?

28. Our cruise in yesterday, in my home town of River Falls, WI. Not a huge turn out cause of the heat but still a number of fenderless hot rods.
    66852942_2560170210682562_8679356498297487360_n.jpg 67274075_2560169894015927_2388040290893037568_n.jpg 66721231_2560169304015986_4878814391325163520_n.jpg 66505775_2560169674015949_5627594591663292416_n.jpg

29. UnkkaBobby

UnkkaBobby

1927graham likes this.