Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 39 Ford truck wheels

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Darin Younce, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Correct me I f I am wrong ,but am contemplating changing the wheels tires on this 39 to something a bit wider. These 4x16 wide fives with the 600-16 are cool and I really like the hubs but want to run a bit wider tire at least on rear. So Am I correct in thinking I would need to change all hubs and drums to perhaps 1940 or newer then find something thru Coker or whoever. Looked for some wider wide fives ( that is a mouth full) but don't think any exist except for some fancy racing wheels . May just stick with what I got but am curious .

2. Those are just about all your options however there is one more. I'm not sure exactly how wide you want to go but if you want to stay 16" you could get a little wider hoop and have your stock center put in it. Now you change nothing but tire size.

Hnstray likes this.
  3. Packrat

Packrat

There are some wide 5 wheels that are 5" inches wide, I have some. Not sure what they came on, though.

4. This would be your best bet when it come to expense, otherwise you are looking a using 5 x 5.5 hubs on the front and different axles or a 40/41 rear end. HRP

Pist-n-Broke likes this.

5. alchemy

alchemy

6. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Actually thought of this if I could find a set of 16' that were same exact inside diameter .

7. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Mine are 4" so 5 would be an improvement.

8. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Yep. time I did all this and bought the wheels ,this could get expensive but what the crap , my wife cant take it with her.

9. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

That is exactly what I am going to do . Thank you for sharing this. I have been thinking about this and was reluctant to share this idea but was looking into blank wheels or wheel shells as they are called . found a couple of places that had some and I was going to do some measuring this eve . I can weld good enough to make these stay together . Wil have to work on the off set or whatever and of coarse find wheels. On the link you shared they were not sure what the wheels were but did know they were dodge. After i read that I remembered i had seen these wheels before, my wife gad 4 different minivans and then I googled dodge/ Plymouth Minivan and the wheels were the same as the ones on the post you shared. Dang , I'm headed to the junkyard.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  10. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

memory says ...
    1940 16" steel rims are 4" wide... the '42 to '48 cars were 4.5".. pick ups may have been a little wider ?...
    1946 to '48 mercury were 15"... as were the wider pick ups up to '64...
    had the same bolt pattern and took the same hubcaps...

11. Just wondering what size rear tire you are wanting to use, as a 750-16 will still work on a 4" wide rim

12. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Did rears ,not doing fronts , did put a wider tire up front . I USED 2000 Dodge caravan wheels , cut out middle ,removed rivits in my 39 4 wide wheels and welded to the dodge rims.Not my favorite tirea but got a plan for that later. Dang thing is fun to drive.

Attached Files:

Hnstray likes this.
  13. Moon50F3

Moon50F3

I really like that truck. Was that you on another thread not long ago looking at a couple of different 38-39s trying to decide which to buy?

14. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

If by "will still work" you mean you CAN get them on the wheels and they WILL hold air, then yes, you are correct. The section width of a 7.50 tire is a far better fit on, at minimum, a 5" rim and even better still on 5.5" or 6".

Ray

15. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

THANKS . Yes I was looking at one in Conway SC found this one in Ckarksville GA.

16. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Sorry missed your question .Just wanted something substantially bigger than the 600-16 that was on truck.

17. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

The truck wheels are 5" (white one) the red one was built with 16" outer of unknown brand. IMG_2892.JPG IMG_2992.JPG

Hnstray likes this.
  18. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have truck wheels on my 39, front and rear. I dig the centers being plain, or commercial as it were. I may be wrong here (yeah, it happens) but I think I measured 5 1/2. I have a 3 1/2 pair of wide-5s and want to create a "commercial" 3 1/2 inch wheel out of em. That gives me 2 wide standard or artillery center wide-5s and 2 skinny versions. Here's a close up of the commercial center.
    IMG_20150802_132204731_HDR.jpg

Nailhead Jason likes this.
  19. Darin Younce

Darin Younce