Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Morris Minor Gasser build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by southcross2631, Oct 22, 2016.

1. It’s alive! Congrats!

loudbang likes this.
  2. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Heck yeah that’s great

loudbang likes this.
  3. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

YaaHooooooo !!

loudbang likes this.
  4. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nothing like the first fire up of a motor you built!

Fiddle Picker and loudbang like this.
  5. southcross2631

southcross2631

After I got home from work today I finished up my rear brakes. Then I did my final pinion angle adjust ment. Very critical on a short wheelbase short driveshaft car. Not much room before the u-joints start to bind. I also rechecked my ladder bar adjustment to make sure the wheelbase is the same on both sides.
    I am going to start out with a neutral setting. I am not going to try and flip it over backwards on the first pass. Just get a feel for what the car likes. Next on to building my wheelie bars. My wife told me she is going to buy me an early birthday present. A new AED carb. What a gal! DSCF3527.JPG
    I had made so many passes in my old blue coupe that I could dial the height of the wheelstand depending on whether I was at a nostalgic show or actually trying to win Super Pro at a big money bracket race. That car actually had a quicker 60 ft with the back tires than if I kept the front wheels on the ground. The car beat lots of much faster dragsters bracket racing . One guy even told me he liked watching my car leave and he forgot to let go of his transbrake button.

AHotRod, catdad49, scott27 and 10 others like this.
  6. southcross2631

southcross2631

Well I got my official blessing from Quain Stott from the Southeast Gassers. He looked over my build and approved everything except for my red distributor cap and no trim around the windows.
    Ordered my new AED carb and that should be here in a week. Going to watch our grandson play in the Ga. state little league tournament.
    Then it's back to build the wheelie bars and then shoot some color on it.
    The " Dancing Rabbit " is almost there.

AHotRod, catdad49, Dog_Patch and 6 others like this.
  7. southcross2631

southcross2631

Back from our grandson's little league tournament and it was worth it! They are class C rec league state champs ! Our grandson pitched the final game and gave up 2 runs . He hit a 3 run homer in the first and then hit a 3 run double in the 3rd inning. They had lost to this team and came back and won 17- 2 to win the championship. Proud grand parents !!
    Going to go and buy my metal for the wheelie bars this morning so I can get them done.
    I am ready to be able to test my work.

AHotRod, catdad49, Dog_Patch and 4 others like this.
  8. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

9. southcross2631

southcross2631

Got a gift from the horsepower Santa today. My new AED carb came in today. Had time to bolt it on before I had to go to work.
    Got some of my wheelie bars done last night. Will try and finish them tomorrow. Trying to get ready to test by the end of this month. Hoping to have some color on it. Can't just send it to the paint shop so it will be done right here in my driveway. DSCF3528.JPG

AHotRod, catdad49, Dog_Patch and 7 others like this.
  10. Can’t wait to see color on it!

11. bchctybob

bchctybob

Well this is all great news!!, especially after the medical scare almost put the kibosh on the whole project. You better get the Mrs to video some rumpedy-rump and the first drive, your fans are eagerly waiting....

catdad49, Fiddle Picker and loudbang like this.
  12. southcross2631

southcross2631

Took yesterday off to spend with son-in-law and daughter. Went to see the Braves kick the Phillies ass and then watch an awesome fireworks show after the game.
    Going to look at buying a trailer today. Then it's back on the car for the rest of the weekend.

catdad49, brEad, RigorMorris and 2 others like this.
  13. southcross2631

southcross2631

Drug home a 16 foot open trailer for a good price today. It will need fenders and replace the deck boards, but the frame is straight and it pulls great .
    Getting ready to hit the road to some SEGA races and other events.

AHotRod, catdad49, brEad and 5 others like this.
  14. southcross2631

southcross2631

Finished my SEGA legal wheelie bars today and got the brakes bled. Need to get some stick on wheel weights so I can balance my slicks . Got my old bubble balancer out . It must be at least 40 years old, but for balancing rims with slicks it is still the best. ready to do one last nut and bolt check from front to back and then put it on the ground and pull it outside under it's own power for the first time. DSCF3530.JPG

AHotRod, catdad49, Crosley and 9 others like this.
  15. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

How long till we get some video of it running?

16. southcross2631

southcross2631

Maybe this afternoon or tomorrow. We have to go to Chattanooga this afternoon after church.

Fiddle Picker, porkshop and enloe like this.
  17. southcross2631

southcross2631

Got my slicks balanced this morning and got the rear end topped off. Then had to go to work. Tomorrow we will see if it can see daylight.

18. RigorMorris

RigorMorris

19. southcross2631

southcross2631

Well it did not see daylight today. I need to work on my clutch cable set up. I need a little more travel to get it to release. Hoping I don't have pull the transmission and adjust the pivot ball.
    I did however thanks to Higgy from Canada sent me the seatcovers for my seats. Thank you very much for the good deal.
    I also installed my fuel cell rollover valve, and my radiator puke tank. Also got my slicks on the car.
    My list is getting shorter every day, Just last minute little things that consume time.
    Yes those wheelie bars are flat plate from Lowes , Heim joints and nuts and bolts from Rural King.
    Casters from an old engine cart. 98 degrees here today. Hotter than Florida was when we lived down there. DSCF3532.JPG DSCF3531.JPG DSCF3533.JPG DSCF3533.JPG DSCF3534.JPG

20. southcross2631

southcross2631

Well I raised my pivot point on my clutch cable bracket giving me more throw. The pedal pressure got less which tells me I am going in the right direction, but still not enough.
    So I pulled the transmission and adjusted the fork pivot ball and lengthened the fork a half inch which gave me perfect alignment of the fork to the cable.
    Now to put the transmission back in this afternoon after I get off work and hopefully that fixes it and I can take it around the block.
    Wish me luck it all works out.

21. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I'm not sure I understand your clutch cable setup, but my experience is that when the pedal gets easier you get less travel.
    Hope I'm wrong!

Fiddle Picker likes this.
  22. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

Fingers crossed over here on the west coast.....

loudbang and Fiddle Picker like this.
  23. southcross2631

southcross2631

Well got the transmission back in the car this afternoon before the storm hit and knocked out the power for a while went in the right direction but not far enough . have to pull it back out and adjust on the pivot ball some more.
    Won't be until Monday .

Fiddle Picker likes this.
  24. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Good luck with all that pivot ball stuff. Mine is still very fresh in my memory, wasn't fun. I finally ran mine out as far as I could without the fork hitting the cover bolts on the pressure plate, about .250 space between them (if yours is diaphram, may be different) and got it working right FINALLY ! Luckily I have an empty transmission case with a hat ( collar, whatever that thing is called, that measures same as mine) on it so I didn't have to keep heaving my trans in and out for adjusting.

loudbang likes this.
  25. southcross2631

southcross2631

Unfortunately I only have my cast iron top loader to use for fitment. The good thing is I am using my motorcycle jack as a trans jack and I can roll it straight back. Still a pain.

catdad49 and Fiddle Picker like this.
  26. southcross2631

southcross2631

Well after 3 tries today I have a clutch and a running driving car! Started out this morning by pulling the trans and adjusting too far . So back out with the trans again adjusting some more. Still not enough so back out and a another half turn on the pivot ball and success.
    I redid my upper cable adjuster mount. This time bolting to the firewall instead of welding it because I had to raise it to get a straight pull on the cable at the pedal.
    Put everything back together and took it off jack stands for the first time in over a year.
    Set the ride height to the SEGA minimum required ride height and adjusted the wheelie bars So I get 8 inches of wheelstand before the wheelie bars touch down.
    Drove it outside and ran it for about 15 minutes, set the timing and adjusted the carb . Turned it around and drove it back inside. Tomorrow I will shoot a video of the first trip around the block. DSCF3536.JPG DSCF3537.JPG DSCF3538.JPG

OahuEli, AHotRod, catdad49 and 13 others like this.
  27. jim snow

jim snow

That looks like it’s gonna be a handful. Snowman

loudbang likes this.
  28. southcross2631

southcross2631

It won't look quite so scary when I get the rest of the sheetmetal on it.

29. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Good deal that has to feel some weight lifted. :)

loudbang and enloe like this.
  30. southcross2631

southcross2631

yes, was a long process that looked like at one time would never get done by me.

Going to Harbor Freight to get a new paint gun to put some color on it as soon the tropical storm clears us , should be out of here by Thursday. We will see how my driveway paint job comes out.