Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. There's about a 100 years of experience standing there..Ray Allen on the right, Frankie Iaconio on the left.

2. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Anyone notice the rig parked behind Max Hall's 57?
    Jim Wiabel from Lakeland, Florida was the guy to beat back in those day's and he won a lot more races then most people will ever even enter.
    He worked his magic on many of the Best running small block Chevrolets racers in the country.

Jimbo

3. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Right on Jimbo I missed that one.

Pat

4. Dyno Dave

Dyno Dave

He also did very well with OT W-Machines from Oldsmobile and for the Smothers Brothers Race Team, Dyno Dave

5. Well now you've gone and done it. :D I can't say 100% for sure, but I think the car in the upper right corner is Sam Shinabery's "Marble Muncher" Oldsmobile. Sam was one of my auto tech instructors at Ivy Tech years ago. It looks right at home in the lanes with Sam Stockwell's bright yellow Olds wagon in the lower center of the picture. :cool:

tommyd, Deuces and loudbang like this.
  6. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

As I have said before, this is my favorite era of racing and I appreciate all of you that share and Loudbang (and others) for posting the pictures. Regards, Randy

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Deuces, Tom 57 150, foxdbl and 5 others like this.
  7. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I still believe to this day that the N.H.R.A. made a big mistake when they did away with Junior Stock and Modified Production. I lost a great deal of interest in the N.H.R.A. after that move.
    Just my opinion. Jimbo

Deuces, 31hotrodguy, loudbang and 6 others like this.
  8. Terry Bell

Terry Bell

Same with me. Also the IHRA was sold to many times and the LAST good owner was Bill Bader who owns and runs Norwalk in Ohio.

Deuces, loudbang and Tom 57 150 like this.
  9. loudbang

loudbang

Posted by Al G in the vintage thread

al g vint.jpg

10. loudbang

loudbang

11. loudbang

loudbang

1965 NHRA Nationals - Indianapolis. Jon Callender accept trophy from Miss Nationals 1965 in front of his 1959 Chevrolet Biscayne campaigned by the Chevair Racing Team.

1965 NHRA Nationals - Indianapolis. Jon Callend.jpg

1947knuck, Deuces, 63savoy and 10 others like this.
  12. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

Not wanting to hyjack the thread but I’m looking for NHRA rulebook(s) from ‘61-‘64 and about all I have found is one ‘64 on eBay for $75. Does anyone that contributes and hangs around here have one or more that they would like to sell? Since I can’t rewind the clock back to those years I figured I could build a car to those specs at least and go bracket racing. While I know it will never been the same I’d still like to have a vintage H.A.M.B. friendly Pontiac that I could race and have fun with (even letter it up like they did in those days). It’s always been on a bucket list and I figured I’d turn to the experts here on this thread to get it started. Thanks for all of you that add to the thread. It’s my favorite and I never miss a post. Regards, Randy

13. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

Deuces, 61Cruiser, Tom 57 150 and 2 others like this.
  14. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

^^^That's pretty cool Chuck^^^. Thanks. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Deuces, Tom 57 150 and loudbang like this.
  15. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

Awesome! That link worked great. Grabbed them all. Can’t thank you enough! Regards, Randy

Deuces, loudbang, enloe and 1 other person like this.
  16. Maurice Hood

Maurice Hood

Randy, I have had a similar desire for a very long time but have neither the money or expertise to make it happen. I suppose many people have done the same thing that you have planned but you are the first, that I have read about anyway, that is planning to do it with an old Pontiac. Please keep us updated as you progress with the build. Best of luck!

Deuces, loudbang, 31hotrodguy and 2 others like this.
  17. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

That is a great idea!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

Maurice,

Thanks for your interest in my project. My plan is to run a Catalina, ‘61-‘63 stick car (hopefully). I’ve downloaded and have already read of couple of the rule books (well I’ve quickly perused them as we are leaving for a couple of days away) and my plan is to build a car and run it against the records of that year (whatever year rule book I decide on that might be the same year or maybe a year ahead of the vehicle I buy). The only vehicle I have left on my bucket list is an early big car so I will have a lot of questions regarding rule interpretation that I’m sure the experts around can help with. Obviously I will be competing in regular bracket racing (and clearly being competitive will be tough against automatics) but again this is for fun and something I’ve wanted to do since I was a kid. I bracket raced a stick GTO 30 years ago with no money and had a blast. I have worn out my copy of Pete McCarthy’s book and feel it’s time to get rolling once my new shop is finished. Regards, Randy

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  19. KickinAsphalt

KickinAsphalt
    from Pa

I have a 63 421 standard flywheel. Got it at an auction where they were selling of a guy's collection of SD parts. he had a Grand Prix and was i believe going to build a catalina SD clone out of it. he had ALL the separate parts to make one.

20. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

21. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

22. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

23. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

24. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know there are probably 100's of cars I haven't seen pictures of.
    But I try to look at everything Max Wedge. Have never seen the one in the last post. Anyone know more about it? Or where it might have went??

Deuces, loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  25. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

There a few non-definitive clues as to the provenance of the Super Wedge. Among them would be the class designation. For a max wedge to run in C/SA, even with a low compression (11.0:1) with a steel front end at 3465# was not likely until 1970 or '71. The attached picture shows Dave Kempton's C/SA running locally in C/SA in late 1971. The Keystone wheels suggest that it was pre-1973 when Super Tricks were introduced. My admittedly skimpy records show that the class record in 1968 was held by a Max Wedge car but that might have been a station wagon.

If the picture of "Super Wedge" was taken by the OP in Division 3, that might be a clue to its ultimate fate. Failing that, "The Kentuckian," a frequent poster from Divison 3 on this thread might recognize it.
    Hedworth:Kempton copy.jpg

Deuces, 63savoy, 1934coupe and 4 others like this.
  26. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

27. loudbang

loudbang

Posted by Al G in the vintage thread

al g vint.jpg

1947knuck, Deuces, 61Cruiser and 4 others like this.
  28. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

One of Harold Stouts early cars. 409 4spd. I know he had at least until 1970. 64985484_10214989676162990_259300885195128832_n.jpg

63savoy, Deuces, lawman and 8 others like this.
  29. loudbang

loudbang

30. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

I always thought he was a die hard Ford guy.

Deuces and loudbang like this.