Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Primer Colour

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Malibu1966, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Malibu1966

Malibu1966

I have just shot my car in grey epoy primer. Would it be a good idea for a novice painter to us a lighter colour (white) or a darker colour (black) to see if I have sanded to far down to the grey epoxy primer. My base coat will be Madeira Marroon

Attached Files:

2. A black or dark gray guide coat wouldn't hurt. HRP

john worden likes this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

talk to your paint supplier....as what shade to use as the final prime coat before applying color, for best coverage.

In the mean time, we have no idea how many times you're going to have to sand and prime the body to get it as straight as you want it. That might have some bearing on folks' recommendations.

4. jman340

jman340

If you are going to shoot another primer over the epoxy to block, the color doesn't matter too much. The important part would be to use contrasting guide coat over that primer and only sand until the guide coat is evenly removed. If you break through the epoxy, just spot primer with more epoxy and feather it out.

Malibu1966 likes this.

5. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Yeah guide coat, sand, repeat as necessary. Always hated that part of body work.

Malibu1966 likes this.
  6. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Primer color is important but not as much as the sealer color. And remember to seal every part you paint or the finish coat will not be the same shade. That goes for jambs and small parts. Made that mistake once on the fender caps (extensions) on a red 69 Mach 1 I painted. Everything was primered the same color (grey) but I forgot to seal the fender extensions (black), they did not match at all and looked like ass! Lesson learned.

coupe man and Malibu1966 like this.
  7. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So you're working on your upper body strength lately...

Lots of work, but something gratifying about developing a crappy surface until it's flat and smooth as can be... for the paint to look nice.

Have fun.
    I'll leave the advice to the painters.

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Malibu1966 likes this.
  8. I like to use a different color epoxy primer under my filler primer for the reason you asked about. I like to use black epoxy and then a grey over the top, but it really does not matter. as suggested a guide coat over the filler primer will help knowing when to stop sanding.