Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Part 5: Hot Rods in Hawaii

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Part 5: Hot Rods in Hawaii

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Tim, HEMI32, chriseakin and 4 others like this.
  2. Special Ed

Special Ed

3. Yes sir, it is off topic but I got to admit I did find it interesting. HRP

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    Nice find of the H.S. yearbooks. Nakamura is a very common name in Hawaii as it was growing up in the Westside of Long Beach. When we were growing up in Long Beach, there must have been 7-8 families all within a mile or two. None of us were related, despite the name. I did meet a lot of the other kids, and we jokingly said we were long lost cousins. Ha!

During our Kauai summer, I was "accepted" in town and anytime we were out in the water "as a local." Localism was a big part of the scare mystique in surf spots. When I showed them I could surf better than the "locals" could, that increased the "respect" for me. That was very handy, indeed. Take offs on paddling for waves was simplified with a "Go for it Brah." (Gee, I was an accepted local...)

That is not what we expected, but that was the way it was and probably still is, that is too bad. But, during our teenage, South San Clemente, military jungle escapades, my brother and I always practiced our "Pidgin English." Just in case we got pinched by the military patrols on the beach or jungles. We were going to talk in Hawaiian Pidgin for our excuses. We were going to make it as if we did not know it was military property and not open to the public. Luckily, we never got caught, although there were some close calls and fast paddling. Whew!

Jnaki
    As slow as the country side and lifestyle is portrayed, the community relations still exist. But, the few hot rod owners we met in town, on our search for transportation, were nice to us. Your working vacation opens up a lot of good memories and hopefully continues during your stay. Post your photos for sure...

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019

5. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Very interesting, reminds me of my year books, that my little brother stole later (another story), I was a Band Geek, so not many comments from the Females,, And to realized I became nothing that I thought I might be as an adult,,, Damn Hot Rodders,,,,,

Irish Mike and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

sounds like a great time for you over there - going to sign up for a time share to help "force" you to go back more often? - sure is too bad that the proposed Island to Island ferry service was canceled - would have a low buck way to see other Islands

7. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Kinda related- How about some 1942 footage on the streets of Honolulu?
    Just love the car spotting!

Special Ed likes this.