Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Dwell Meters

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jaw22w, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Back in the day I did tune ups with a dwell meter ,timing light and a vacuum guage. And you would be surprised how many tines I discovered a bad vacuum advance. Today I know where two timing lights are covered in dust . haven't seen my dwell meter in decades. The 283 in the 55 in my avatar has points . I adjust them by the adjust to stumble and back off a half turn. the timing I advance until it kicks back on the starter. then back off until it don't. I still used a vacuum guage to adjust the carb idle mix screws. my son Chris had a dirt bike. It wasn't firing. electronic ignition. He built up a lobe on the shaft with JB weld. screwed a set of chevy points to the side. and adjusted till it ran pretty good. The points where out in the open. He would get his leg too close and get a shock or 50 LOL. the cover wasn't deep enough after he installed the points. A neighbor who worked at the Tool Box Factory took the cover to work and got the machinist to machine out a aluminum spacer to fix it.

2. 55Belairman

55Belairman

That's hilarious!

dan c likes this.
  3. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

I have a Craftsman engine analyzer I got from an old hot rodder that's never been used as "he couldn't figure out how to work the damn thing". Been under my bench for several years collecting dust.

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. Radio Shack house brand... At one point they had pretty decent stuff, but towards the end their quality really went south. Bought some phone jacks, got home 3 out of 4 were defective. Went back, checked them with a meter before leaving the store. Had to open 6 packages of 2 to get 4 good ones... the clerk wasn't happy...

5. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

This is a gauge from the “ Tune Master “ kit . Kal Tool brand . These are built tank tough . There are a few on EBay at this time . As I said the “ Tune Master , has tach/dwell , vacuum , fuel pump pressure , charge , and a timing light in a steel box to hold them up so they are easy to read . I’ll get a photo over the week end . Pretty busy at the moment , popped a head gasket on the Cummins powered Power Wagon . Time for head studs . 2FFDF5A1-E4E5-4684-BA7A-0A3C7FE8AC33.png

6. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

I've seen that one. There are a lot of different old dwell meters out there. What else ya got?

7. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IT WORKS!
    Scan0071.jpg

8. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

9. Interesting.

We'd just install a new set of points and give them about .018 gap and call it good. When I got my first dwell meter from the tractor store (age 15), I'd use an ALLEN wrench through the window and adjust the dwell while it was running.

10. DFH-GMC

DFH-GMC
    from Texas

I have a few [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Deuces likes this.
  11. oj

oj

I just bought the new Innova 'Pro' Timing light and it'll split screen showing Dwell & Rpm in the timing light. I haven't used the dwell feature yet, I just got it last week and need to find a kid to explain how all that digital stuff works.

12. gtodalep

gtodalep

Still have this Sonco my dad taught me to use back in the 60's. Sonco.jpg

13. Oldb

Oldb

I have a couple, a Kal tool from the 60's that is part of a set, and this Sun 1015 unit I picked up for $150.00 off Craigs List. The individual selling it had no power in the barn it was in to see if it worked. Lucky me everything works fine.
    B
    IMG_2920.JPG

Unique Rustorations likes this.