Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Ruins of Detroit/Industrial Archeology Trip Planned

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by phartman, Jul 11, 2019.

1. More here about the role of the railroad and Ford's Village Industries in Brooklyn Mill:

http://www.detroit1701.org/Ford Brooklyn Mill.html

And for an extensive list of sites, look here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Village_industries

[​IMG]

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. ems customer service

ems customer service

detroit is pretty safe, i only get robbed by the government, local state and federal

3. Deuces

Deuces

My new car was built at Flatrock Assembly....

4. derbydad276

derbydad276

5. Deuces

Deuces

Damn Photobucket:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
    Guess I'll have to stop by the cemetery and take some better pictures....

6. Deuces and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. Used to be right next door to the Notorious Herman Gardens Projects...home to one of the biggest drug gangs in Detroit, Young Boys Incorporated..in the early to mid 80’s you did not want to be around here...they’ve raised the projects and have built single family homes...still be a little careful around here..

Deuces likes this.
  8. Deuces

Deuces

Motown's Diana Ross grew up in the projects.....

9. Thanks for the heads up. I am planning on going by the gravesite to pay my respects. I will keep a sharp eye out. Daylight hours only, preferably early morning, before anything gets too stirred up.

lothiandon1940 and Deuces like this.
  10. According to her Wiki entry:

"Ross and her family originally lived on Belmont Road in the North End section of Detroit, near Highland Park, Michigan, where her neighbor was Smokey Robinson."

lothiandon1940 and Deuces like this.
  11. Deuces

Deuces

Ok then.... Maybe one of the other Supremes????

12. I also read somewhere that she grew up in the "projects".

Deuces likes this.
  13. Brewster-Douglas housing projects?..Does that ring a bell?:confused:

55Belairman likes this.
  14. 55Belairman

55Belairman

You are correct sir. A family friend went to high school with her. Southwestern High.

15. 55Belairman

55Belairman

My Grandmother lived in those cement bunkers until she died in 1969. Lot's of crime back then, also. She refused to move out. Had her purse taken a number of times.

16. Deuces

Deuces

17. So did my great grandparents...wasn’t a bad place when they were built..

18. Yes she’s from Brewster...the song Love Child was close to her life...Joe Louis also grew up there

19. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

It's interesting that Detroit really started to fall apart more or less when the Berlin Wall came down. Coincidence? Only half joking here. I guess Germany and Japan did win the (economic) war.

20. So much to see...and be near...The original Holley Carburetor factory, Detroit Lubricator (carburetor) factory location. The old auto plant locations (body armor martial arts, long lens camera). Google earth first and plan your route.

Deuces likes this.
  21. derbydad276

derbydad276

Deuces likes this.
  22. Never2low

Never2low

Interesting thread.
    I've been to Autorama a dozen times, probably 30 Wings or Tigers games, and yet all I ever do is drive straight in, then straight out.
    Always get gas and food out near Wixom, so I don't have to stop in the city, because I'm just not familiar with it to know where I'm going.
    Lotsa stuff I've wanted to see, but never had the courage (or the time, really, always event focused) to explore.

Deuces and lothiandon1940 like this.
  23. Late 60’s....67 riots kicked it off

24. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We'd have to break the rules to talk 'then and now' about Detroit. Almost totally political but that's a level of info locals know and have worked around for decades. In reality it's not hard to figure out, and crime is everywhere. Detroit just gets pushed around more about it in the MSM, but as I stated in an earlier reply the tide has turned.

25. 17720 Woodward Ave
    Detroit, MI 48203

Many automobile firsts took place in Detroit, including building the first mile of concrete road. In 1909, Wayne County laid concrete on Woodward Avenue between Six and Seven Mile roads at a cost $13,537.

[​IMG]

26. George M. Holley and his motor bicycle, 1901:

[​IMG]

And one of his early carbs:

[​IMG]

From the Penn State business history archives website:

"In 1901, George and Earl Holley visited Paris, France, where they came across the French Longuemare Carburator. Fascinated by the design, the brothers immediately purchased the license to produce and sell the product in the United States. With the new piece of equipment, the Holley brothers returned home and built the first motorcycle containing a carburetor. The two industrialists were soon approached by Henry Ford of Ford Motors and asked to design and produce a carburetor for his Model T automobile. Impressed by their work, the Holley carburetor became standard for all Ford cars. The corporate mogul even encouraged George and Earl Holley to enter the carburetor business, and in 1903, they did just that.

Because of their success, the Holley brothers’ production did not end with Ford Motors. The two men began concentrating on designing and building carburetors and ignition-system components for other car makers such as Pierce-Arrow, Winston, and Buick. The fortune that succeeded the debut of their first carburetor, the 'iron pot,' prompted George and Earl Holley to move their headquarters from Bradford to Detroit, Michigan; opening their first plant in 1907. That year held importance for another reason; it was the same year that a car equipped with a Holley Carburetor won a twenty-four hour road race without a hiccup; the Holley name became synonymous with success."

27. A fantastic message board, full of invaluable information, such as this post:

More addresses, from a 1933 city guide:

Buhl Stamping Co Scotten & M. C. R.R.
    Cadillac Motor Car Co 2860 Clark
    Caile Motor Co 6210 Second Ave
    Chrysler Motors 841 Massachusettes (HP)
    Continental Motors 12801 E Jefferson Ave
    Dodge Bros Main 7900 Jos Campau
    Federal Motor Truck 5780 Federal
    Gemmer 6400 Mt Elliott
    Graham Bros 6100 Lynch Rd
    Graham-Paige 8505 W Warren Ave (Dearborn)
    Hudson 12601 E Jefferson Ave
    Kelsey-Hayes Wheel Corp 3600 Military
    Kelvinator 14250 Plymouth Rd
    Motor Products Corp 11801 Mack Ave
    Packard Motor Car E Grand Blvd & Belt Line R.R.
    Scripps Motor Co 5817 Lincoln
    Standard Motor Truck Co 1111 Bellevue
    Timken Detroit Axle Fort & Clark
    U.S. Rubber Products (Uniroyal) 6600 E Jefferson Ave

More here:
    http://www.atdetroit.net/forum/messages/6790/39227.html?1155003502

with many, many pics of all the automotive factories in greater Detroit along with their addresses.

Deuces, egads and lothiandon1940 like this.
  28. ............That's George astride the first Holley "Double-pumper"!......Sorry, I just couldn't help myself.:D;)

wraymen, Truckdoctor Andy and Deuces like this.
  29. Styline Kustom is still there in River Rouge...one of Chuck Millers employees own it...still has the zingers on the sign

Deuces likes this.