Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods LOSING A CAR SHOW FRIEND

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by B.A.KING, Jul 14, 2019.

1. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

I debated about posting this, but decided to go on and do it.
    I'm sure most of us have the "car show friend", the one we see once, maybe twice a year.
    This morning i got a call that a friend i had met several years ago at the Hot Rod reunion had passed away.Really shook me up.
    I saw Tim once maybe twice a year .Maybe 3 times if he went to Louisville. About 3 years ago he said his heart was failing him. Didn't know if he would make it the HRR.He always called me ALABAMA. We parked beside him several years ago, been friends ever since.
    I got to know most of his family. Last year he brought me a 59 el Camino die castthat looked just like my new one.So badly did i want to get it up there so he could see it . I didn't make it.His son came by and told me he must really like you cause he never got rid of his die cast. I always wondered if he would be there each year. He knew where I parked and always came by to talk. Ask me if i retired yet, how things were going, and always tell some jokes. Man could he tell jokes!! I didn't know until today that he would get out of his hospital bed to come to show to see friends. I guess my point is this, I'm not sure i have a point but this really rattled me, Make sure to shake those car show's friend's hand, hug em if have to and tell them your glad you know them, glad your friends. I regret not calling and checking on him, I know better. The HRR just wont be the same without seeing him there. Sorry for the rambling.

Gotgas, chryslerfan55, Thor1 and 18 others like this.
  2. It's a part of life, I have met a lot of people that have become those friends you see once or twice a year, you stay at the same motels, shoot the breeze in the parking lot,see each other at the show year after year and then you fid out something happen that severs the friendship, be it a illness or death, we are getting older and it's inevitable.

It's rare in any other hobby or past time that people form friendships that last for decademost of us can empathize with you. HRP

3. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No apologies, BA.
    Glad you posted so we can stand by you. I'm very sorry you lost your friend. Think of the good times. But that's what makes it so hard to lose them... the good times.
    God bless.

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

By the way...
    Whether we have regrets about what wasn't said or done...
    He knew you cared.

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

That's the part of our hobby that has value........the part that makes us better people.

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

best part is that you guys did meet up and got to know one another - sincere sympathy goes out to his Family, yourself and the rest of his friends

7. primed34

primed34

Hang in there. Just as much about the people as the cars.

loudbang, deadbeat and Black_Sheep like this.
  8. 50 customcoupe

50 customcoupe

Thank You for posting this. I just lost two friends in the last two weeks I that I didn't go see often enough. Prayers for you and your friends family. Ray in Kentucky.

loudbang likes this.
  9. Sorry to hear this BA. I know the feeling. It will be with you for some time. Last friend I lost still haunts me every time I go to a car show.

loudbang likes this.
  10. pitman

pitman

Thanks B.A. for the reminder.
    You tell one good story about the
    friends in our journey, esp. in
    the craft. Thanks.

loudbang and Hnstray like this.
  11. engine138

engine138
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Commack NY

Sorry for the loss but always remember all the good times RIP TIM

loudbang likes this.
  12. Gman0046

Gman0046

Great post BA. RIP Tim.

loudbang likes this.
  13. I have the same stories. They are some of the most valuable stories in my life. Seldom do we know how we affect people. That's why it's so important to be the best we can everyday. :)

Unique Rustorations and loudbang like this.
  14. Not a damn thing to be sorry for, buddy. Losing friends is almost as hard as losing family.

Ben

loudbang likes this.
  15. Yep....the twin football jocks that both shared driving in a Pinto in High School were distant friends. Bob - the first to pass at 43 had a late 60's Chevy pick up he'd got just a year or so after graduation an kept it going after wrecking it a time or two.. Bill his twin inherited it and we kinda started meeting up at the car shows about 10 years ago. Bill was getting into it pretty good and making repairs/upgrades as he had a little better cash flow. We were starting to good friends - celebrating his 52 birthday shortly before his death. The truck was reluctantly passed into the hands of the youngest son - who thought it might be a curse. He's located about an hour away but hope that old Chevy is still being cared for. Sorry to hear of your loss of camaraderie .

catdad49 and loudbang like this.
  16. trollst

trollst

Yup, Hougen Park is coming, it's like old home week there, lots of familiar faces, some I only see there. BC guys, see you there.

loudbang likes this.
  17. The37Kid

The37Kid

Sorry for your loss, those once a year meetings are a lot more special than we think until the person is gone. The list of people we miss is now longer than the ones we can still shake hands with.

Bob

loudbang likes this.
  18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@B.A.KING...sorry about the loss of your distant friend...life passes us by one by one...we can't outrun it...I just read a death notice in the local paper and many times a familiar name pops up and it gives me pause to remember...I am sure your doing the same...it doesn't make it any easier but it is the least we can do as we wish them Peace on the other side...

Regards,
    Stogy

pitman and loudbang like this.
  19. belair

belair

Thanks B.A. We need reminding that it's about the people, not the cars. Sorry for the loss of your friend.

Thor1 and 57JoeFoMoPar like this.
  20. catdad49

catdad49

B.A., thanks for sharing your thoughts and feelings, it's part of the grieving process. Sharing your passions with others of the same ilk is a great part of life. The "good times" as they say. When one of yours is lost, it is a sad time, but do you regret the experience? Maybe initially, but then you push that aside and remember the good. Life Is Good, Carp.

OLSKOOL57 likes this.
  21. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

We gather every year at Back to the 50’s to drink a toast to friends that have passed, sadly the list continues to grow with each passing year...

22. That is a reason for me to go to Hershey every fall. I see some people only once a year, but we are happy to see each other again. Since I moved to Pennsylvania almost 2 years ago, I still go to the Early Ford V-8 meet in Fitchburg, Mass. Just to see old friends, and to let them know that I haven't forgotten them.

23. I think many, many of us feel as you do - say or do all you want, it’s tough to swallow regardless. I lost 3 very good car buds last year - thinking of the good times and all the stories are all that is left so I try and make the best of it. Some days it ain’t easy I know ....