Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Any ideas worn spring mount ?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 303racer, Jul 14, 2019.

1. 303racer

303racer

Any ideas on this ? Can I get away with putting a bushing in it. Less then half is worn. So a bushing should Center ?

Attached Files:

2. slinginrods

slinginrods
    from florida

I would do it. Just make sure when you drill out the old it’s centered.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

303racer likes this.
  3. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Actually, I would drill it just 'til you hit solid bushing material. Then tap it, at least 1" deep. Screw a bolt in, and with a flat nose drift ('punch') drive it out.
    This tends to 'stretch' the old bushing, rather than 'compress' it, making it 'pull out', not 'jam in'.
    Also ensures that you don't remove any of the forged hanger!

303racer likes this.
  4. If you must really keep the housing, then get the old bushing out and weld up the worn spots. Ream to the right size and push in a new bushing. Might be easier to get another housing.

303racer likes this.

5. 303racer

303racer

Was a pain to find this one took 5 months or searching and wanted adds and a 2 hour drive to find this one Just Got the old ones out

Attached Files:

6. 303racer

303racer

Are there any new bushing /shackles anyone would recomend ?
    It Has taking over 15 years to get to this point of just now having (almost) everything I need And could not have did it without the H.A.M.B

Attached Files:

7. 66gmc

66gmc

I fixed this one by removing the old bushing, then shoving a piece of copper tubing inside that was roughly the same size (the weld wont stick to copper). I built it up with weld, then pounded out the copper tube and used a die grinder and a file to finess the inside until the bushing fit tight. I cheated and used the pete and jakes style shackles and bushings, but the same process will work for original bushings. IMG_0336.jpeg IMG_0351.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G950W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

irishsteve and 303racer like this.
  8. Don't try drilling it out as this will only make the hole in the housing bigger due to to the new centre being offset. Use a small cold chisel or tube chisel and start at 90* from where it's worn through.
    The new bushings are a firm fit and using the correct grease on the new shackle you will be good. Any of the after market shackles will do, just get the correct width. JW

303racer likes this.
  9. 303racer

303racer

Awesome, I’m going to try this

10. junkman8888

junkman8888

From what I see the shackle has worn almost completely through the mount. To try and fix this you'd have to completely disassemble the rear end, sandblast the area in question, then take the housing ends to a competent welder who will tell you he can't guarantee the repair won't let go at the worst possible moment. In other words, you're out of luck, get another housing.

And by the way, the copper tube trick only works if you are welding up damage on the outside of the bore, not the inside.

303racer likes this.
  11. On closer inspection of the pics it needs welding. JW

303racer likes this.
  12. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I see a quickchange center, so you will be taking the rear totally apart. You can replace the sleeve portion buy cutting the old one off , leaving enough to saddle a new sleeve and weld it on, grind to blend. I would do both housings to make it match. IMG_3190.JPG

303racer and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  13. InstantT

InstantT
    from SoCal

303racer likes this.
  14. I think I have the 2 sleeves ends off my '35/'36 bells if you want to go Martys route. I can check if you want them.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019