Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Laws On Fenderless Cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blazedogs, Dec 26, 2014.

1. frdsuperduty

frdsuperduty
    from Lewes De

Ill be moving to Delaware next year and Im told they require fenders though Ive seen fenderless buckets there. Are there any Delaware rodders out there working on a law change?

2. Its not so bad! The SR plate does seem to keep the police from bothering you.

3. Well that's a good thing. :)
    -Pat

4. I was stopped by the Sheriff in Kingman az in my 57 Chevrolet with Montana plates (perminent ) and blue dots tail lights. He starts with blue dots are not legal in AZ and there’s no such thing as perminent plates. I expanded to him I was a visitor to Arizona and blue dots are legal in Montana. And said I would be happy to dial the Sheriff in my town if he wanted to talk to him about the plates. I was a little up tight and as him if he was the greeting ambassador for Arizona.

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Atwater Mike likes this.
  5. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Pretty tough to get a car 1500 pounds or less, unless you are drawing attention the CHP looks the other way.......... after they admire your fender less ride.

6. I remember distinctly that when I grew up in CT in the 60s and 70s, fenderless cars were illegal, and all cars had to run a hood and both bumpers, which had to be a certain height from the ground. Of course, a teenager in a hot rod gets much more scrutiny (and tickets) than an old guy in a hot rod.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  7. evintho

evintho

State of California
    DEPARTMENT OF CALIFORNIA HIGHWAY PATROL
    P.O. Box 942898, Sacramento, CA 94298-0001
    CHP 892

EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS FOR REMANUFACTURED AND SPECIALLY
    CONSTRUCTED MOTOR VEHICLES (DUNE BUGGIES, KIT CARS, ETC.)
    OPI 062 (Rev 6-06)

Fenders (27600). Fenders, flaps, or other devices must be at least as wide as the tire tread and effectively minimize the spray or splash of mud or water to the rear. This section does not apply to vehicles having an unladen weight of less than 1,500 pounds registered prior to January l , 1971.

8. redo32

redo32

My fenderless story: Oregon has a 1935 and older fair weather law, no fenders required. There was a summer cruise downtown Eugene one year and we were circling the blocks when a motor cop hollered out "You need fenders!" I was ready to quote him the law when he said "and your plates are expired" . I quietly cruised off remembering the stickers were home on the dresser.

Story 2: The same '29 Hi Boy, We were headed up I5, about Longview we got pulled over by a WSP. He started reading me the riot act, I said "This car is legal in Oregon and you can at least extend the courtesy of letting me go" He wouldn't as he continued the lecture and I watched him write out the ticket as he wrote every digit of the law from memory. This wasn't a young badge heavy rookie, he was older, 6'2" 250# veteran and should have known.
    I thought Washington had a fender law & had a buddy up there look it up. It is more liberal than Oregon's as it has a sliding date and the same fair weather provisions. I sent a copy of the law, the ticket and a short note to the Judge commenting that their Troopers needed a refresher course. I did not include a check. I was surprised the Judge took the time to write back. He said there was some concern over the age of the car. The trooper had my valid registration in his hand and said nothing about the year of the car. Some Washington buddies said the Staters out of Longveiw were the worst in the state and evidently the judge was used to backing them up.

9. The word for one state honoring another states motor vehicle laws is "reciprocity". For cars, it is pretty much universal across the United States. (Canada, maybe not so much)

10. topher5150

topher5150

I think it would be kind of hard busting someone for not having fenders in Michigan considering some of those shit boxes they let drive in the highway

11. A Boner

A Boner

Unless things get turned around, within a year I'm thinking there is a chance a State Trooper might shoot someone driving a fenderless hot rod in WISCONSIN.

Don't drive a fenderless hot rod in WISCONSIN.....spend your vacation $$$money$$$ in another state.

12. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Never been hassled in Ca with my 29. But I try not to give them cause.

13. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Anybody out there in HAMBer land know what the police state of New Jersey says on the subject ?

14. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is easily the stupidest comment I've seen on this or any other forum. By saying this type of stuff it only reinforces the idea that people that drive hot rods are militant and anti-social. If you add the "Barney Fife" comments and other slurs on the law enforcement folks you are only hurting yourselves.

Old wolf likes this.
  15. A Boner

A Boner

You must live a sheltered life, pal.

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A Boner is referring to the current state of harassment for hot rodders in Wisconsin. The anti modified vehicle faction is out in force there.

Here in Washington state the fart pipe barely clearing the ground mini cars seem to have taken a lot of pressure off the well built appearing hot rods and customs. Even then there are some towns in the state were the local cops tend to harass guys with modified cars all too often. Rat rod shows have more trailers parked out back than a Goodguys show has gold chainers as about 70 % of those pieces of crap in this state don't have plates and couldn't pass a minimal safety inspection on a bet. The exceptions being the clear coated rusty bodies stuck on a custom tube chassis with a 2O k race motor that the Spokane area rat rodder group had at the show up there.

17. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

I drove my hiboy coupe from South Carolina to Minneapolis. Minnesota last year and spent the night in Wisconsin, I even ask a state trooper of directions at a service station and he never said anything about my car not having fenders, he even told me he thought it was cool.

Maybe it was the out of state tag but he was very polite and wrote down the directions to help me get to the motel for the night.

18. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Hereabouts, the NSRA did a poll one year, 'The city of Merced has more hot/street rods per capita than any other city in California!'
    I recall that poll to have been taken in 1978.
    Henceforth, 'no fender citations' here are practically non-existent, finally.
    In the early-to-mid '50s, running fenderless (or driving a 'hot rod') in Calif. was asking for a ticket at best; At worst, vehicle impounded and/or driver jailed.
    I am living proof of some of the above...It's no secret I'm still immersed in fenderless hot rods, nor is it any mystery why we moved here from the 'Silicon Valley' in 1989.
    And, for my usual story always included:
    1983 Santa Clara and Sunnyvale car enthusiasts got a 'cruise' together, it ran on El Camino Real from Scott Blvd. in Santa Clara to Wolfe Rd. in Sunnyvale, and back...
    Some street light sorties (some FAST door slammers, 'Gassers', and sleepers...plus the gaggle of then new 'Minicars'...('tuners')
    Wife Joey took a break from the evening shop hours, tooled down there in my F100...
    Turned onto El Camino, got into slow cruising traffic...got some thumbs up, then...out of nowhere...a white Sunnyvale P.D. marked car pulls in front, another is alongside (my side) and one behind! Siren, heat lamps...I slow and stop, (was going maybe 30?)
    Young cop swaggers up, another is at my tailgate, the front car drove away...
    Young cop wants license, reg., insurance. I ask to step out, he backs up...The one at the rear says, "Reason we stopped you is for your blue dot tail lamps. They are illegal..."
    I countered quick, "Oh, the taillights. Well, I just got back from Wyoming, and they use these in the snow, for visibility...I didn't know they were illegal back here..."
    Cop acted surprised, handed me back my 'papers'...
    He warned me to 'Get those blue lights off there, they are used for 'Police I.D.'."
    I said, "Sure thing, thanks."
    As I turned back into traffic, wife Joey says, "I heard the way you 'snowed' that cop. You should be ashamed..." I said, "Nawww, just gave him the cold shoulder..."

rust runner and partsdawg like this.
  19. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know to what he was referring. It still is the stupidest thing I've seen on this or any other forum.

Old wolf likes this.