Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 62-66 Suburban vs C10

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SuburbanSS, Jul 14, 2019.

1. SuburbanSS

SuburbanSS

Hi Guys,

Long term lurker, first time poster. Not so smart in internet things.
    I am trying to find a definitive answer to the question : "Is a 63-66 C10 short wheelbase frame the same as a 63-66 Suburban frame? Anyone have any experience in this?

Thank You

2. Most suburbans where long wheelbase.

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Not in that era....just researched it to find an answer to OP’s question. The C-10 short bed pick up and the Suburban of that era shared a 115” wheelbase. Good chance the chassis shared as well, but cannot state that as a fact, only the wheelbase for sure.

For 1967 and later the Suburban wheelbase was lengthened to that of the long wheelbase pickups at 127”.

Ray

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  4. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

That’s what I found also

5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

My factory 1966 literature lists both the half ton Suburban and pickup wheelbase at 115 inches.
    About the only difference that I know of is the location of the gas tank.

6. 29moonshine

29moonshine

wb is the same the frame is longer and the rear body mount is farther back on the suburban

7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

8. I can tell you that the suburban and panel trucks are the same. The front suspension is different on the 60-62.

9. SuburbanSS

SuburbanSS

Thanks guys, yes they are the same wheelbase. If 29Moonshine is correct, that seems like an easy enough problem to solve.

10. F&J

F&J

The pickup rear frame rail tips are straight cut. The Suburban and panel frame tips are longer and are shaped to fit inside the rear bumper contour.

The rear bumper is the same stamping as a front bumper, but the hole pattern is different.

SuburbanSS and Old wolf like this.
  11. SuburbanSS

SuburbanSS

Do you have an idea on the similarity / dis-similarity of body mounts?

12. F&J

F&J

no

13. squirrel

squirrel

I forget...it's been years since I messed with one. I know the 4x4 suburban frames are different than the 2wd, but I forget the details.

The truck assembly manual might help you figure out all this stuff, the parts book would also help some. I have the parts book, but not the assembly manual. I do know on the earlier trucks (55-59) the rear cab mount for the pickup is different from the center body mount for the suburban, and the rear frame extensions were riveted on. I forget how the rear frame extension works on the 63-66 models...I scrapped the bent up remains of that frame years ago. But I do know I bolted the pieces onto the replacement frame, so they must have been riveted on?

I can look in the parts book, I suppose.

Hnstray likes this.
  14. squirrel

squirrel

the parts book lists the rear frame extension for the 4x4 frame, but not for the 2wd, so my guess is they are part of the frame on the 2wd suburban, and the one I built, I cut them off and bolted them to the 4x4 frame.

there are different 7.330 brackets for pickups and suburbans, also.

sub1.jpg

Nostrebor, Old wolf and Hnstray like this.