Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Time for an upholstery change Photoshop help or ideas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hudson48, Jul 11, 2019.

1. hudson48

hudson48

The roadster has been on the road now for 7 years and I was always a bit unhappy with the upholstery. Time to bring it into the era of the late 50's/early 60's style.
    It was done very basically and now I think it is time for a change. A recent issue of our Aussie Street Machine Hot Rod edition had a feature on a Model A Tudor and I love the upholstery in this, done in the diamond style. I may retain the bench seat I think and definitely the rare hard to find black carpet with gold thread. Could think about buckets with a center storage for stuff that is always on the floor when traveling.
    Of course my doors are a lot shorter than the full size Tudor. I like the idea of the panel at the top but not sure about black. Then a panel of diamonds below the top panel with a similar star as in the picture. Next decision is what color for the diamond panel. Pure white or maybe a gold color like the car. The seat/s would have black(or whatever other color) on the side edges and maybe a center strip between the squabs and similar on the back of the seats like the ones in the Tudor.
    Appreciate any ideas and concepts.
    At home 2.JPG Diamond upholstery (Medium).jpg

catdad49 likes this.
  2. Wow, how could you get tired of that interior? I wish mine looked like that. I love basic white interiors in that style, but thats me. I might add some carpet to the bottom of the door panels and maybe a chrome separation strip on the door panel, but I think what you have is great.

Hnstray and texasred like this.
  3. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I like both of them. There's no way I'd ever change the original.
    Maybe remove it and make some subtle changes like different color beading along door panels and seat.
    I too wish my interior looked like your original but my greasy jeans with pocketfuls of screwdrivers wouldn't be kind to white.

4. 52HardTop

52HardTop

I also say leave the white interior. It is perfect in that car. Maybe you can go with a gold rug to match the color of the paint?

5. Rckt98

Rckt98

The existing white interior looks way better than the tudor interior IMHO.

Hnstray, 56don and flatford39 like this.
  6. flatford39

flatford39

I wouldn't touch a thing. your interior is perfect.

7. Mimilan

Mimilan

That gold paint job needs a Tuck'n'roll done with Leopard print blanket [as the material]

It would be the absolute "Coolest of bad taste" :)
    animal-print-blankets-blanket-leopard-throws-and-australia-mexican.jpg

Hnstray, Just Gary and catdad49 like this.
  8. hudson48

hudson48

Well I didn't expect that many responses that say keep it with a few modifications to the existing theme.
    I didn't mention that part of the reason for the change is the overall quality of the work done that can't be seen in that one photo. When the car was being built we used an upholsterer in the local area that had done many cars very nicely.
    When I picked up the car I was surprised at how cheap the final price was.The owner said "Oh I used the apprentice for your job". Well after a short time that was evident with the trim coming away from the door cards where he hadn't used enough material to pull it down on the back and poorly done gluing to the back of the cards. The worst part is the trunk that really is bad. The seat also needs more padding to make it comfortable for my 70 yo bones.
    So now put the thinking cap back on!!

9. Well in that case the leopard skin is kinda interesting........

10. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

Agreed leave it or go leopard for sure !

11. Mimilan

Mimilan

I was serious there!

Many years ago I visited an Eccentric old lady that had a gilded "French Baroque" chaise lounge that was reupholstered in Leopard Skin pattern fabric.

similar to this: [but a chaise lounge]
    b27b88d9773a8fe125b35981d996f11e.jpg

It was so "Out There" that it left a lasting impression [in a good way]

On that Gold Roadster the shades of Leopard Skin would compliment it perfectly!

Just Gary likes this.
  12. 52HardTop

52HardTop

Wow, I see a film title... "The Eccentric lady on the Leopard Divan." The connotations are endless...

Hnstray and Just Gary like this.
  13. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Not a big fan of the Tudor, too busy of a look for me. I also like the present interior look with some sort of high lights. 56don's ideas or even the top panels be another color to offset all the white. Really like the seat design myself. Your car however, definitely do what makes you happy.

Hnstray likes this.
  14. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

I really like the interior as is, the only thing I would possibly do different is upholster the side panels above the pleats in gold vinyl if you could find material to closely match the paint color.

15. Just playing around......

int.jpg

Petejoe and Black_Sheep like this.
  16. jim snow

jim snow

Looks like themoose nailed it. Snowman

themoose likes this.
  17. j3harleys

j3harleys

I like just as it is.

Hnstray likes this.
  18. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Agree, Moose is mostly spot on in my books.

themoose likes this.
  19. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

I agree the upholstery in your car looks great as is. At least it’s not tweed like mine - I can barely call myself a man? But when I do change it I’ve always wanted something in the diamond pattern.

20. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Well, since the work is shoddy n coming apart; & I think moose has it close, but I'd look to changing the gold portion of the upholstery to either black, or preferably a very bright lime green, or possibly a medium green metalflake. Shade is very important to the mix. Yup, I'm a fan of lemon-lime. :D . I'd also look to add some pinstriping on the dash in the same color/shade as the upholstery rolls to tie it in.
    Marcus...

21. hudson48

hudson48

Thank you for that great effort to let me see what it would look like. Like the way the seat has been done to give a storage box also.

themoose likes this.