Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Price difference in cars for sale ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blazedogs, Jul 5, 2019.

1. badgascoupe

badgascoupe

Buddy just bought a 36 Ford pu running driving with a fresh 331 hemi and a new Tremic 5 spd. Nice steel cab and bed with glass fenders. $12K

2. ...........Need pictures.

3. badgascoupe

badgascoupe

4. badgascoupe

badgascoupe

Have a set of 39 tail light to replace those nasty attempts.Did I mention its YELLOW!

46international likes this.
  5. That passenger fender cracked?

6. Got a scription to Hemmings and Old Cars for my birthday back in the early seventies....Hemmings always has been the higher priced want to get more money sellers - and then the Robb Report came out late 70's after more cash readers.....like was said always people fishing BUT - I do see an up tick in the high end cars being put out there like some are shedding stock.

KKrod likes this.
  7. badgascoupe

badgascoupe

No,It was stored in a coverit canopy garage and wind swung a pipe ,lost the paint but fender isn't cracked.

8. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It occurred to me that some people become really mad when an offer is made that is way lower than what they want. I don't think they are offended by the offer per se but that they have been made to realize that their high dollar car is not bringing the money that they want. Nor will it ever.

Since the value of a car is only worth what someone is willing to pay then that sets the value or "worth". If a vehicle is offered at some amount and the offers are consistently much lower then the realization finally sinks in--and that is where they get mad.

The seller sets the price and the market determines the actual sale price.

j3harleys likes this.
  9. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

Region can also come into play on a car. As I've stated on here before when someone asks is this car worth the price, a lot depends on condition, and also location. You can expect to pay a lot more for a car in California, verses Kentucky. It has always been that way.

10. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

We grew up in a time period where money was scarce, like most teenagers. So, what ever we were able to save up, that was it. There was no college fund, windfall jackpot, or entitlement that made us different and snooty. We had to work to get into college and not have it bought by some illegal means. But, the value of cars has always been in the forefront during that fun time period. When my brother was ready to sell his 58 Impala after his recovery from the Lions accident, that was a sad day. Wiser brains prevailed and it stayed in the family for years to come.

In most families, it is sell the old car first before a new one is purchased. It has been that way forever. (But, if we had a three car garage or large property with other garages, we would have kept all of our older hot rod and then some.) So, how is it that prices dictate what anyone will buy? Does the seller want to sell his car or try to "eeek" out the most possible in the sale?

In our hot rod history, it was always sell before you buy a new ride. So, the prices were adjusted to make the sale favorable to the buyer and not try to gouge them. Money in hand is for the new purchase price of the next hot rod. Negotiations always prevail, if the sale is really what is the goal. Back then, looking at any local newspaper classified section for the hot rod group, was always fun to predict which ones would sell fast. It was the step necessary, to see what was out there and at what price.

There are things that So Cal has going for it that make it possible to buy a California car in such good shape. The weather is very nice most of the year. "The weather outside is frightful..." can only be heard several times a year. (and it is short lived at that.) So, the conditions are good and therefore, the cars, wherever they happen to be, stay relatively nice. There are always ones that are questionable.

The reputation still goes on these days...a hot rod for sale in the East Coast might have, ..."It is a California car..." in the ad or photo caption. Why? The results speak for themselves. If priced right, it sells the car. If everyone knows how it has been developed over the years, from the beginning, has merit. It is either that or the liking of a So Cal style hot rod goes over big in other parts of the USA.

Jnaki

The lucky thing is that marrying a person that has similar views and values helps in the long run. When it is time to get a new car/hot rod/station wagon, it is look first at what we really need, want and can buy. For my wife, cost is not a holding point as the factory and common market sets the price. If we think is is too high in comparison to others available, then it is a pass.

But, if a $40000 old custom built, hot rod is what we want, then, the means justifies the purchase. There are two heads collaborating and if the cost is not to our liking, there is another tomorrow, despite the recent earthquakes and fires. It is like buying a house. Everyone looks at the “comps…” just to make sure the price is not out of this world for what is being sold or purchased. Simply look at the HAMB classifieds as an example. There are some pretty outstanding hot rods, but the prices seem a little too high. (The current owners will have something to say about that comment…) The longer the hot rod stays for sale, something is not right and the adjustments need to happen, if the sale is the main goal.

Besides, as those nice hot rods and mild customs roll across the TV screen, a lot of them never get sold because of the cost, hard head of the seller, their wrong assumptions, and the value the bidders place on what is being sold. It is too bad someone does not show the amount of cars for sale and the ones not sold that just roll away. What is the ratio depending on the costs and values?

11. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

During a Barrett-Jackson auction a few years ago in Scottsdale specializing in Hemi Mopars and foreign whatevers, I saw a beautiful '34 Ford 2-dr sedan ready to drive anywhere in the nation go for 42K, probably worth at least 50K. One of the auctioneers made an asshole comment about it having a Chevy 350 in it. At a similar auction just before Coddington died, a '40 Ford convertible his shop built went for 120K, and you know it had 200K invested.

12. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If the selling price was $42,000 then that is what the car was worth. Something is only "worth" whatever someone is willing to pay.

RRanchero Rick likes this.
  13. Guess I'm lucky. I don't think I will ever have to sell anything, my son and son-in-law will get it all. Sure is good to think my kids will enjoy my stuff long after I'm gone. They are all over 30 something now but you know, some 20 something kids just are not into old stuff.