Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Beware: Eastwood sound deadener

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Never2old, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Used this in the '31. Easy to put down and no issues at all.

els likes this.
  2. X-cpe

X-cpe

We're not as young as we were in the 50's.;)

seabeecmc, oldtom69, els and 2 others like this.
  3. Stooge

Stooge

I also used Fat Mat on my truck, and in the months I was still working on it before I put a carpet down over it, I didn't notice any ooze, goop or seepage. Worked well, went on relatively easy and was a little friendlier to the budget than Dynamat would have been. With the carpet down, I don't know whats going on under there but from the places I can see it, like under the seat and console, it looks the same as when I put it down with no surprises.

I saw someone posting on the garagejournal forums yesterday about using cans of that electronics freeze spray to pull up sound/ rattle deadener, seemed like it would be handy especially for places you couldn't use the dry ice method like on interior walls, doors, etc. but probably expensive to buy a bunch of cans of it.

enloe and els like this.
  4. It was close to 1/2 the price of Dynamat. They give you a roller with the Fat Mat, but it is cheap. I got a good roller and it was a big help. I used a heat gun in tight places and the backing stretched, never tore. I helped someone do a Dynamat job, that tore like crazy.

els and Stooge like this.
  5. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Two months later and he has puddles of ooze. I don`t think good tape would of stopped it. What about a few years down the road. Or say 10 years. Even with good tape.

els likes this.
  6. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not much consolation for you, but by posting this, you saved countless other guys from making the same mistake... me included.
    Thank you.
    Good luck.

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Sometimes traditional has to be comfortable. Times have changed from the 1950's. Science has moved on.
    But since you mentioned it, they did use anti rattle/sound deadener in the 1950's.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
  8. You guys won't have any problems with Kilmat, mine laid out fine and nothing has melted. HRP

[​IMG]

DuaneBallard, enloe and els like this.
  9. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Based on pretty much every surviving kustom from the 40’s and 50’s I’ve seen torn apart to “restore” yes I can. All kinds of weird shit used and LOTS of it.

10. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Newspaper, and roofing tar seemed to be popular, ive pulled out clothes and home insulation also

Black Panther, els and Tim like this.
  11. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I worked on a low millage 66 Merc convertible with factory installed stick on soundproofing in one area on the floor. It was the only rusted out section in the entire car. I am not a fan of stick on insulation. Just my opinion.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    els likes this.
  12. els

els

WOW! I'm from Phoenix, could you imagine the mess in my car. oh ya 116 degrees today. Sorry about the mess. Good thing you caught it before the carpet.

enloe likes this.
  13. dan31

dan31

You're not the only one having this problem with Eastwood's sound deadener mat. Just talked to a guy at a local show that saw my Dynamat in my 31' and asked how it was [it's fine] because his Eastwood stuff was melting into puddles ,he was NOT a happy guy. I do like some of their other products like rust encapsulator and chassis black spray paints.

enloe and els like this.
  14. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Put me in the happy column with my Peel and Seal from Lowes, too. Second car I've done with it, no problems with either of them.

15. Just maybe,maybe, a bad batch, or different mfg making it now. I flipped when I saw this thread, and went and tore stuff apart=sills, carpet, deadener, and all was fine. I installed mine at least 7 yrs ago..... Granted also that I removed all undercoating from the car=Merc, which has a lot of sq. footage, and 2 1/2 pipes running under the floor pans. Would burn your hand with bare metal. Gave it two layers, and all was fine. Even up fire wall.
    So- I'm going to "guess", different mixture in manufacturing, as I've never seen/nor heard of it doing what has been posted..... And sorry for that! Hope they make it good!

mike in tucson, Hombre and els like this.
  16. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

I'm at the Chrysler nationals this weekend. I saw Eastwood is there. I can go and ask them about the new vs old product and bust their balls a bit tomorrow. Calling people on Bullshit Chinese crap kind of appeals to me. Stay tuned I'll post what transpires tomorrow night

34 5W Paul, Hombre, dan31 and 6 others like this.
  17. Isn't Matt= IronTrap from Eastwood here? Like to hear his thoughts.

els likes this.
  18. Well I don't think your totally Screwed here. Yes you have a mess to deal with. Odds are pretty good you used a Credit Card for your purchase. Most card company's hold sellers responsible for what they sell. If you can't get satisfaction from Eastwood meaning full refund, notify your card co of the issue. I have done this before and the card co instantly gave me a full credit back and deals with the seller to get there money back. You are no longer even part of the conversation between them. Try this out and see how it works. Of course you will need to give Eastwood the opportunity to say no deal and document it before calling the card co. E-Mail works well for that part.

bubba55, els, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  19. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

^^^^ Absolutely, Pay Pal has helped me twice in this area.^^^^

els likes this.
  20. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

Sorry I couldn't find them at Carlisle today. Not sure hoe I feel like.i covered every inch of that place. I highLy doubt they would only be there for Thursday and Friday especially since they are based in PA .

INVISIBLEKID likes this.
  21. Dan E

Dan E

I installed Eastwood Xmat in my truck over a year ago and haven’t had an issue. It gets over 100 degrees where I live a lot in the summer. I bet the stuff everyone’s bashing in this thread is their old stuff. Keyboard warriors always love to bash without the full story.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

dirt t and INVISIBLEKID like this.
  22. arincee

arincee

I also have used peel & seal from Lowes and after the job was done I put a match to some of the scraps before throwing them in the trash. It burns real good. I'm wondering if other similar products also burn and how much heat it actually takes to get them to ignite.

23. Never2low

Never2low

Unfortunately, that's the difference between cheap asphalt based product, and quality Butyl Rubber product.
    Butyl doesn't melt, at average temps. (Throw it in a campfire, and yes it will melt, most things will)
    Covering with a layer of Butyl may work, but if it doesn't, you'll be throwing good money after bad.
    Most likely it smells like roofing tar every time it gets hot. That won't go away.
    Sucks, but the best thing is to completely remove it, and start over.

RMR&C likes this.
  24. jim snow

jim snow

He is a bit under the weather presently. Snowman

loudbang and INVISIBLEKID like this.
  25. Did you mean their NEW stuff? I have the OLD stuff, which I posted about, and after checking was fine.
    Never seen anything like that running before- no threads,complaints, etc......
    Everything posted regarding is with people who've installed in the last year or two......
    Bad Batch? IDK....... Hope there is no more failures.......

loudbang and jim snow like this.
  26. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

The stuff on the truck I worked on was at least 4 years ago, it oozed out also. So it is an ongoing problem.

INVISIBLEKID likes this.
  27. Mine's at least 7..... No failures to speak of.......YET!:eek:

28. Dynamat in my 60 Chevy Sedan Delivery.. Pricey yes, but worth it.. I don't have
    any deadner in my 36 Ford Coupe...Wish I had did some before it went to the trimmer..
    would be more quite.. but oh hell

29. Thanks @Dan E. That matches what I hoped.

I ran a (very) non-scientific test. I rolled some scraps of Eastwood XMat on a sheet of 18g, and laid it on the concrete in direct sun. It’s pretty hot today, for Iowa, 93. It can get hotter but this is average. It’s over 100 in the garage.

I don’t have a way to measure the temp on the 18g, but I can’t touch it with bare hands.

No runs, no drips, no errors.

Dan E and INVISIBLEKID like this.
  30. CA. 280

CA. 280

Want the ultimate sound deadener?? Check places like West Marine. They use a product for hatch covers
    and engine compartments that is a thin layer of lead between butyl sheets. Stops anything.

504640 and loudbang like this.