Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Doors 1950 Ford

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Hombre, Jun 28, 2019.

1. Hombre

Hombre

OK guys I have searched every place I can think of and have just given up finding the answer on the net. This however is the HAMB and I know for a fact the answer is resting in some of you guys head. Do the doors on the Shoebox Fords --1949-1951 interchange between the coupe and the two door sedan?
    Thanks guys...

koolbeans likes this.
  2. leon bee

leon bee

I actually was thinking that they do.

Hombre likes this.
  3. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have to agree with "Leon Bee".

Hombre likes this.
  4. 49 has a totally different door latch design than 50-51. Check with One of the Street Rod Glass kit suppliers and see if door glass interchanges between Coupe and Sedan. That should answer if the doors fit in the Body opening. I kind of think they do also but won't swear to it.

Hombre likes this.

5. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That site doesn't seem to want to tell you anything definitive unless you give them a bunch of personal information, which I don't feel like doing now.

Hombre likes this.
  6. Squablow

Squablow

Other than the door handle thing, I'm pretty sure they do, I know they're the same length door since I was able to mix coupe and Tudor sedan side moldings together and they were the same.

Pist-n-Broke and Hombre like this.
  7. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

If it's any help, same door glass '49 - '51 in Tudor & coupes. NAGS pattern 4268 S

Pist-n-Broke and Hombre like this.
  8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The '49 is the 'bastard' of the group because of the aforementioned door latch system...not just the handle......but the latch mechanism on both door and door pillar. The lock pillar shape where the latch attaches is different as is the door itself where both handle and the latch attaches to it.

The '50 & '51 are interchangeable between those two year models.

Ray

Hombre, Pist-n-Broke and tubman like this.
  9. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you "Hnstray". I wasn't sure, but I'll take your word for it any day.

Hombre likes this.
  10. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Shoe boxes are not like the '42-48 Coupes where you had 2 Coupe sizes.
    I had a 49 sedan, a 50 Coupe and a 50 parts car. The best I recollect, the main difference in the 50 Coupe and Sedan is the rear quarter of the roof and the longer panel between the rear window and deck lid. Basically the Coupe has a "short roof", does not have that little rear quarter window and appears to have a longer trunk due to the shorter roof. The Coupes, tudor sedans and I'm pretty sure the Victorias share the same decklid.

I agree that the Tudor cars shared the same door except the Victoria which of course was pillarless.

The '49 as mentioned uses different handles and latches. The twist handles for the doors, deck lid, and exposed gas cap were changed in '50. That and minor trim on the front was changed as well.

In my opinion, 50 was the best of that 3 year run. Have always thought the '51 with the twin bullets was a bit awkward. I think Ford agreed, if you notice the center bullet although much smaller returns in'52.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    Hombre and Hnstray like this.
  11. Hombre

Hombre

Guys thanks for those answers. For the life of me I could not find an answer on line. My coupe is a 1950 and it does need a drivers side door. Seems I can find a lot of the sedans advertised but seldom a coupe, so I was wondering if I could use the sedan door, looks like I can. Thanks again!

F-ONE and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  12. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Here's pics about the differences '49 and '51 doors. The primered chopped one is '51 and the surface rusted stock door is '49. So far i have noticed only differences on the latch side cuts for the latches and there's an inner support bracket for the outer door handle and lock on '49 door.
    Otherwise the inner door panel looks almost same to my eyes.

IMG_5366 (Custom).JPG IMG_5369 (Custom).JPG IMG_5370 (Custom).JPG