Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Does anyone care about chevy 265s?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by lewk, Jul 12, 2019.

1. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

I came across a Chevy motor hoard last night. Tons of bare 350 blocks sitting outside, etc. The thing that caught my eye were 3 265s, including a 56 with power pack heads, a 55, and a 57. It’s all going to scrap soon and I could get them cheap but don’t have room for them or a need. Are these worth saving or not?

I was in the 3rd group to pick this pile. A $8k 32 3 window got away 3 weeks ago and a $4k 57 Bel Air with a fuel injection unit left 10 days ago.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. squirrel

squirrel

Might depend on condition, if they've been outside and full of water and are basically scrap iron, then no. If they're good engines, then yes....if you're near someone who needs one. Don't expect it to be easy to sell them for profit, though.

lewk and LOU WELLS like this.
  3. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

4. F&J

F&J

There would need to be a local, populated market, and you are in MT. Nobody will want to drive very far to buy them even if you price them dirt cheap, and you will be stuck with them forever.

lewk likes this.

5. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

lewk and Jalopy Joker like this.
  6. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

My location is a problem. If I was still in the Bay Area, there would be enough population to find a buyer. I’m kinda in the middle of nowhere, and shipping is expensive for heavy crap. They’re just so neat....

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

some times a good deal is not a good deal

gschwen, lewk and 6inarow like this.
  8. I tend to be a hoarder, I hope my wife isn’t reading this. I would grab them very quickly if they hadn’t been sitting outside. But, I’m a Chevy guy and would take any Chevy V8 in rebuildable condition.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

slinginrods and lewk like this.
  9. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Just 'horned this '56 265 in to my '38 Ford. Love a little mouse...
    [​IMG][/URL]

10. I have a 1955, no oil filter, 265" SBC in my roadster. If you were closer, I would want the 1955 engine.

Atwater Mike and lewk like this.
  11. spook498

spook498

I hate to see anything go to scrap. Were it me, I would buy them. If nothing else, they could be creative yard art. Im also the guy who gave away a 283 and a 327 when I moved....

jimmysweden and lewk like this.
  12. Jay71

Jay71

Got the original 265 in the wagon. The thing is bullet proof! I’d grab em if i was you.

lewk likes this.
  13. What are the conditions of the 265s I’d love to throw an odd ball v8 into my model t!

lewk likes this.
  14. 34ChevyMaster

34ChevyMaster

Where are you I am looking for an engine and the 265 power pac is perfect

lewk likes this.
  15. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Here's a rebuilt 1956, 40 over 265 for sale, PM interested for price and info.
    DSCF0271.JPG

Deuces likes this.
  16. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

Stovebolt, Deuces and lewk like this.
  17. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Probably be easier to sell the power pack heads than the whole engine.

Hnstray and lewk like this.
  18. Admit it: Those 265s are a lot like the cat or dog at the animal shelter. We all want them to go to a good home where they'll be appreciated, but we already have our hands full and just can't adopt them. Seems like half the time one or two find their way back with us anyway. We just couldn't resist.

19. It's a shame. I would take one in a heart beat.

jimmysweden, slinginrods and lewk like this.
  20. 6sally6

6sally6

Sure if you wanna sink the same amount of money in it you would spend on a more plentiful engine nearly 100 cu. inches bigger. Take that same money and maybe get 250 HP from a "tiny-tim" or twice that much from a 350. Any "normal" size/weight car (or truck) will greatly tax a "tiny-tim"265 where a 350 with the same money sunk in it would have traction issues. (while occupying the same space under the hood!) Good exercise in futility.
    J/K..........."Screamin-ist"(is that a word?!?) shivel-lay I ever rode in was a souped-up 265 with power pack heads lumpy old Duntov 30-30 (or something) cam in it.
    6sally6

lewk likes this.
  21. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Grab the 57 block/short block, and the 56 Power Pack heads and maybe the 56 4 barrel intake if there is one. Don't waste your time with the 2 barrel manifolds or heads.. The rest is only worth scrap, sorry but that's the truth, unless it's for restoration only.. The 57 block is machined for/will accept a block mounted starter motor, something the 55-56 blocks can't do, but it still does't have side mounts; strictly front mounting using either Tri-Five type mounts or a Hurst type saddle mount. A block mounted starter capability makes using a more modern, aluminum automatic easier than a starter motor adapter plate. The 57 265 also has thicker cylinder walls since the same casting/casting number was used for both the 57 265 and 283 blocks, just bored to whatever they were destined to be.The 56 Power Pack heads have 55.6 CC combustion chambers, the smallest of ALL the Power Pack heads, but they also have a "trough" from the spark plug, so think some restriction of flow and flame travel. Plus, the ports/runners on 55-56 heads are really small; even the mid year introduction of the "better" 56 dual quad heads have small ports/runners. Use the 55-56 intake gaskets IF you use the 265 heads NOT gaskets from any larger engine (ie a 327). The 57 block will also have the better oiling system the 55-56 blocks did not have. The 55 block takes a one year only oil pan due to it not having a cast-in-the-block oil filter. I'd say modify the 55-56 blocks for full pressure oiling, and get away from the notched camshaft used for/with their pulsed oiling. New parts such as pistons, rings, bearings are still easy to come by, unless you want forged pistons; those are hard to find, and I know because I have several sets of them. I don't care for the 55-56 265 exhaust manifolds, unless they're being used to drop a V-8 into a 49-54 Chevrolet; use rams horns or headers. Finally, the C.R. on the 265's was like 8:1, even the 56, 225 HP and 245 HP engines only had 9.25:1 and the 57, 9.5:1; finding domed pistons will be almost impossible, and specialty made race pistons will be $$$$$. From the factory, they all had flat top pistons, with NO valve reliefs; lots of warranty work back then due to valves hitting pistons. I have more than my share of this stuff.. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

22. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

My version of this idea is simple: There are no free RVs.

belair likes this.
  23. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

Now they’re looking at me with puppy dog eyes. I’m going up there Sunday morning with a buddy and a trailer and I’ll see what happens. I’m gunning for the 56 power pack and a 57 283 I didn’t mention, and maybe the other 265s. I’ll also check the bare blocks a little closer. I’ve been gathering for a 283 to put in my ‘35 3 window. Maybe I’ll use a 57 block.

Hnstray and RiffRaffRoadster like this.
  24. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

Other than the distinct 55 oil pan, is there anything else worth looking for in the oil pan pile? I want the motor in my car to look early.

25. The 55 only block doesn’t have an oil filter provision so up on the manifold there’s may be (optional) an external oil filter. That’s good/rare stuff if it’s there. But, I’d rescue the entire engine. It’s a same old same old sbc— but it’s definitely different.

patmanta and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  26. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

55, 265's had the water temperature sending unit boss located at the drivers side rear of the intake manifold; 4 barrel intakes are somewhat rare. All other years for the sending unit were up front on the intake manifold, until they went to a boss on the cylinder heads (1967?). The rear location makes it easy to use in a 49-54 Chevrolet, as the stock water temp gauge thimble/tube can be used, and then it all looks factory. I'm guessing you're aware the dampener is pressed on, and does't use a retaining bolt, although the crankshaft can be drilled for one if you like. The 57 and newer engines use a "windowed" distributor/distributor cap; makes points adjustment very easy with a running engine. Valve covers will be of the staggered bolt pattern mounting, so you want to be careful buying replacement or aftermarket valve covers. All these engines used a road draft tube; the 55 265 road draft tube went through the bell-housing area of the block, and are usually damaged if the blocks are in a pile, and they're a little difficult to locate a replacement. Connecting rods are a bit spindly, and if you need to replace them then go aftermarket or use the 2nd design 327 small journal rods that are quite a bit stronger. Other than all the oddities I've listed in my two responses, they're a SBC, and respond to the same modifications as any other SBC. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Truckdoctor Andy and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  27. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

I got them. I’ll check em out in the near future.
    [​IMG]

28. slinginrods

slinginrods
    from florida

osage orange likes this.
  29. Squablow

Squablow

Glad you got them. I see the '55 appears to have the add-on oil filter setup, and a stick bellhousing, which does have some value. Some other good pieces on there too. Hopefully the engines are viable but even if they're not, there's some good resale-able pieces on them that makes them worth saving. Too much stuff gets junked out of laziness and apathy, glad you're doing your part.

30. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I have some of those, too...'55 265 and a '57 283. A bud gave me a pair of 265 staggered pattern heads, with Corvette valve covers...Aching to run 'em, love the little 'oldies'...

patmanta and osage orange like this.