Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Lead Ain't Dead "Kustoms only" Sept. 6 & 7, 2019

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by straykatkustoms, Jul 11, 2019.

1. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

event poster.jpg

Seems like at almost every car show I hear someone saying Kustoms are dead. I disagree, I believe they are as popular as ever. The word “Kustom” like other vehicle tags (Hot Rod, Street Rod and Rat Rod) have been misused. The word “Kustom” has become confusing to the general public because of the assumed experts from automotive publications, internet and television. This has been going on for years and we would like to do something to clarify what is a kustom. Since 1981, I have had this love affair for kustom vehicles.

The million dollar question is, what is a kustom? To help me define what is a kustom. I Googled it.

Wikipedia describes a kustom as a modified vehicle from the mid 1930's to the mid 1960's, done in the customizing styles of the time period. This style generally consists of:

• Lowering the suspension
    • Chopping the roof line
    • Sectioning, removing a section from the body.
    • Channeling the body over the frame
    • Side trim are usually removed or "shaved".
    • Often pieces of trim from other model cars, are cut, spliced and added to give the car a totally new appearance.
    • Door handles are also "shaved"
    • Trunk lids, Hoods and other pieces of the body can be “shaved”.
    “Mild Kustom”
    • The term "Mild Kustom" refers to a fairly conservative approach to kustomizing, where the majority of the original beauty and identity of the car are retained.
    “Full Kustom” or “Radical Kustom”

A "Full Kustom" refers to a car that has been severely altered from every aspect possible almost every exterior panel is re-shaped, interiors, dash, engine bay, suspension, etc.

Sounds pretty straight forward and easy to define. Not, it’s not that easy when you open it up for discussion. Over the years, I’ve enjoyed trying to define what is a kustom with a lot of kool people. The Lead Ain't Dead show is for Kustoms only and if you are into Kustoms you will be very pleased to see the cars that attend the event. Kustoms are usually not cookie cutter vehicles so you will see a wide variety of kustom work that you maybe wouldn’t have done that or maybe not that way but it will clear your mind and the creativity part of your brain will increase.

We have few Kustom only shows across the United States. We have decided that it would be kool to have an event that would celebrate the American Kustom.

How will we celebrate the American Kustoms?

• Friday we will go on a Kustom Cruise to visit with Kustom legend Darryl Starbirds Rod and Kustom Museum in Afton, Ok.
    • Friday evening we will have a cook out.
    • Saturday we will have a Lead Ain’t Dead event in Dewey, Ok.
    • Saturday afternoon we will have a Kustom Conference. A group discussion to talk about Kustom topics & issues.
    41442509_2102068286472992_8334720308057473024_n.jpg

Below you will find some facts about the show.
    When? September 6 & 7, 2019
    Where? Stay Kat headquarters 700 Delaware Dewey, Ok

Kustoms ONLY (vehicles from 1935 to 1964)
    Pre-Entry fee is $20 and the day of the show is $25

You can register on line @ www.straykatkustoms.com

Check out This video of last years show. despite the damp weather we still had a good time.

Kustom Konfrence.JPG

Host hotel is the Holiday Inn Express.
    For the group discount
    you will need to call them direct at (918)766-0020.

For more information call or text me a (918)907-1477

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    loner2, 1947knuck, 40two and 13 others like this.
  2. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One of the kool additions to this years show. We are going to celebrate the 50th Anniversary between Doug Reed and the Toad. This year Doug has owned the Toad for 50 years and very few of us can say that we have owned our Kustom or Hot Rod for that long. We are going to have a cake and something green to drink (margaritas) and celebrate this great occasion.

10462354_10152533339467751_580297135850492857_n.jpg

1798698_10152533333752751_6879418865008544468_n.jpg

We are also going to acknowledge Doug for all that he has done for Kustoms. He has documented are great hobby for many years and his articles in numerous magazines has done wonders for the Kustom hobby. I still use magazines for research material and over the years have played an important role in keeping Kustoms alive.

3. Got my room reservations already made. Now, if I can get my Olds ready...

4. Hmm...I need to try to make this especially after having to bail on the SK500 earlier this year... Great idea honoring Doug and the Toad. Couldn’t have picked a nicer guy.

5. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

I sure wish I could be involved in this!!! Keep em rollin'! One of these years I'll be there...

6. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Keep the faith you have plenty of time. We are going to be doing this for a while.....

loner2, 1947knuck, UNSHINED 2 and 3 others like this.
  7. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

get yours now

9. Roothawg

Roothawg

We had fun last year. I was hoping to have the 55 done by then, but alas, another year as a spectator.

Sancho and straykatkustoms like this.
  10. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

41095671_2098463200166834_5862103851884085248_n.jpg

Guys started to roll in Thursday afternoon.

loner2, 1947knuck, 40two and 4 others like this.
  11. A kustom show? Maybe I can be talked into it.... :D

OG lil E, Sancho and straykatkustoms like this.
  12. atomickustom

atomickustom

Nathan and I will be there again this year! He just told me a day ago he likes the old cars and spending the time with me. (He also likes riding in the front seat - big boy action for sure) 20180908_085241.jpeg

loner2, 1947knuck, Jay71 and 12 others like this.
  13. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Look forward to seeing ya guys. Great to have quality father & son time..

loner2, 1947knuck and Sancho like this.
  14. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]

Royboy took this kool shot. We are not surprised....

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loner2, 1947knuck, 40two and 9 others like this.
  15. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

16. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

17. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

18. ahshoe

ahshoe

Great thread..Gotta love customs.....Thanks for the pics.Would love to be there.....Just a big far, but look forward to coverage by the lucky attendees.

19. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

21. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

22. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thought that I would give you guys a run down on this year's LAD agenda.

Strange enough we have guys from all over the US attending our event. Even as far as Arizona, Las Vegas. Last year was our first year and we had 70 cars participate (in the rain) and we have had a more interest for this year’s show.

Thursday evening we will have our monthly Stray Kat movie/dinner night at the Heritage Theater in Dewey. It will start at 5 pm and will run till 8:30. We will start watching 1994 video footage of the Merc Deuce Reunion. At 7 pm we will start watching this month’s movie Running Wild.

Runningwild1955.jpg

Friday morning we will be leaving the Holiday Inn Express 4016 SE, Price Rd, Bartlesville, OK 74006 in Bartlesville at 9 am to head over to Starbird’s Museum. The museum is only 60 miles straight east of Bartlesville so it is an easy cruise. We plan on staying there for a while, you are more than welcome to stay as long as you want. Last year we were back from the cruise around 2 pm.

Friday afternoon we will open registration around 3 pm at Stray Kat Headquarters (700 N Delaware in Dewey, OK). It will remain open during our cookout.

Saturday the show will start at 8 am and will run until around 4 pm.

The Kustom Conference will start around 1 pm. Last year it ran for a couple of hours. What is it? A bunch of us sitting around my shop and discuss Kustom topics. From kool old high school stories to the builds and trends of today. It doesn't have to be true it just has to be kool.

Some of the topics for this year;

• We are going to talk about our favorite Gary Howard builds.
    • Discuss Gary's subtle kustom style. What made it so special.
    • We are going to try to define what is a kustom?
    • When you were a kid who was that old kool guy in town.
    Kustom Konfrence.JPG

The conference was a hit last year and we are looking forward to it again.

We pass our Stray Kat awards that we will pass out around 3 pm

We have some guys that don’t have Kustoms that want to attend. We have secured parking on the south side of my shop for the “Not a Kustom” crowd.

If you have any more questions please just let me know.

SK Signature.jpg

loner2, 1947knuck, OG lil E and 4 others like this.
  23. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

>> "We have secured parking on the south side of my shop for the “Not a Kustom” crowd. "

It is likely that I will end up in the "South side gang". I completed the air conditioning installation in my car, it works great, but, the radiator can not handle the load. I will probably show up in an OFF TOPIC truck with a Cummins 4bt swap and a 1952 Bell Telephone service bed (DAMN IT, I am NOT going to drive the Subaru...).

Currently planning a mad thrash to upgrade the cooling system - Not likely to be ready for a 2,200 mile round trip.

Thanks for hosting this event,

Russ McLean

24. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know what ya mean, I'm battling the same problem with my Merc. Good luck.

loner2, 1947knuck and chryslerfan55 like this.
  25. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Rename it the "Midnight Skulker" or the "Vampire" and only drive it in the cool of the night.

26. wizzard23

wizzard23

Mick, good on ya for honoring Doug Reed. In the mid to late 70's his magazine work was about the only coverage our part of the world received. Enjoy visiting with him every chance I get.

27. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you, Doug is a great guy and has done a lot for our hobby. I believe he has been over looked because we hadn’t stop to realize who took all of those videos or pictures in magazines.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

28. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That sounds like a road trip worthy event. It's going to have to wait until I have the 48 done though or win
    The powerball and buy a half finished custom I have had my eye on.
    That might work, road trip to Bonneville, on to the HAMB drags, Off to Texas to visit Jeans sisters and the great nieces and nephews and back up through Oklahoma to stop by and see my cousin and hit the Stray cats show and head back home. Now to stick that on the bucket list.

29. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

30. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER